Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

Watch spotting...

Lt. Dan

A guy who reports to me at work showed up in a meeting with a full yellow gold Rolex submariner. I know I am not paying him that much. I did leave me wondering if it was a rep but he also drives an AMG. Hmmmmmm

obviously a rep AMG, :P

but ya never know who has a trust fund, a one time inheritance, a gift from an uncle.....or will be making minimum payments on credit cards for the next 20 years.

Yep that's true. It's just I'd never wear something like that to work. It screams look at me. Maybe I should give his raise to someone who needs it....lol

Walesy

I too am in this club :)

One of my funnier tales was whilst standing in an extremely slow moving queue for the Belgian GP this year. There were 3 blokes in front of us, all with non descript watches bar 1 who was wearing the largest, gaudiest two tone Invicta I have ever had the displeasure to witness. It angered me :)

Well low and behold if 1 of his mates doesn't pipe up about watches and how his wife had been telling him to buy himself a nice Rolex. Invicta boy pipes up about how that would be a gross waste of money and how he'd bought his wonderful Invicta from Amazon and how it was only £90 and how it was this and that and X grams in weight making it the finest timepiece there is known to man. He really went to town on how heavy it was, just as the spring bar gave way and the whole lot went crashing to the ground :D Absolutely priceless!!

As we helped look for the lost spring bar on the floor he noticed my gen Sea Dweller, how I smiled :)

Thats brilliant! You get some dicks in life..and this guy you mention sounds like one. I was in Watford last week before last and the guy who was on the course kept going on about his Genuine Hugo Boss watch (PVD case with orange hands and markings, orange strap..you get the drift) He noticed my Gen Cockpit B50 and didnt have a clue what it was. But his Hugo Boss was the best ever watch and was 'an investment' ...cock!

Edited by Walesy

James.
A guy who reports to me at work showed up in a meeting with a full yellow gold Rolex submariner. I know I am not paying him that much. I did leave me wondering if it was a rep but he also drives an AMG. Hmmmmmm

My boss wears a shitty timex, drives a Toyota and owns about a dozen properties (houses) in Sydney. Maybe this blokes priorities are all short term and/or he's leveraged up to his eyeballs

SamsonAusKognito

Maybe he is a drug dealer :lol:

Frankt8242
I saw, after @20 years as a "watch wonk", my first and only, REAL Panerai last summer on the wrist of a guy in a store on Sanibel Island, near my home..It was an 024 IIRC..

The fact that we get "all jiggy" about silly flaws makes me laugh...NOBODY else knows, or cares, WTF to look for on someone else's wrist..!!! :suck:

Sanibel island is one of the most beautiful places I've seen. They were smart when they set up the rules on building codes on that island. Gorgeous beaches and no high rise hotels. My dream is to find a bag of money and move there.

I live @ 3 miles (as the crow flies) from there, but seldom visit there anymore..The $6. bridge toll, and the traffic are a real PITA lately...Too bad it's the only way to get to Captiva..

Captiva is scary to me. It's so skinny it feels like it's going to disappear at high tide.

I only go there now to take my grandkids to the "Bubble Room" for lunch..I used to have a work pal who lived there in a cabin he was renting, that once was the secret refuge home of Charles Lindbergh and his wife after the tragic kidnapping of his child..There is actually a plaque on the wall over the sofa in the living room there, attesting to the fact..Sitting on that sofa was an eerie experience..!!!

You can imagine how remote a place that must have been in 1932..!!

myaz

but ya never know who has a trust fund, a one time inheritance, a gift from an uncle.....or will be making minimum payments on credit cards for the next 20 years.

Yep that's true. It's just I'd never wear something like that to work. It screams look at me. Maybe I should give his raise to someone who needs it....lol

You can drool over a watch once a month when you pull it out of your safe or at will, all day long, on your wrist.

Here it depends upon whether he wears it discreetly or not. If the sun's reflection from the crystal is in your eyes even once, then the next raise goes to anyone else that shows emotional maturity needed at work. ;)

Lt. Dan

You can drool over a watch once a month when you pull it out of your safe or at will, all day long, on your wrist.

Here it depends upon whether he wears it discreetly or not. If the sun's reflection from the crystal is in your eyes even once, then the next raise goes to anyone else that shows emotional maturity needed at work. ;)

I work in the fashion industry in Beverly Hills so it's not unusual to see high end watches. However full gold subs can't be worn discreetly. It just something I would never feel comfortable doing. I wear my gen Tudor and a rep superocean to work and no one gives that level of watch a second look.

Left Coast Guy

I work in the fashion industry in Beverly Hills so it's not unusual to see high end watches. However full gold subs can't be worn discreetly. It just something I would never feel comfortable doing. I wear my gen Tudor and a rep superocean to work and no one gives that level of watch a second look.

I worked for an investment firm in BH for a while....high end watches seemed more the norm than the exception. Its mostly tourists there, but aside from those folks, there's some obscene wealth up there. I remember a work lunch at Il Pastaio and a guy valeted a brand new Bently Mulsanne, still with dealer stickers/plates, which he had paint stripped to be "murdered out" aka matte black spray paint style.....nothing like taking a brand new $500K car with real pearl fleck paint and right off the lot stripping that $30K paint job just make it look like a ghetto ride....

Lt. Dan

I worked for an investment firm in BH for a while....high end watches seemed more the norm than the exception. Its mostly tourists there, but aside from those folks, there's some obscene wealth up there. I remember a work lunch at Il Pastaio and a guy valeted a brand new Bently Mulsanne, still with dealer stickers/plates, which he had paint stripped to be "murdered out" aka matte black spray paint style.....nothing like taking a brand new $500K car with real pearl fleck paint and right off the lot stripping that $30K paint job just make it look like a ghetto ride....

Yea, when I moved out here last year I discovered there is lots of people with big money and no taste.

Flipper81

I work in the city of London and it's a great little hobby. Most are Rolex and omega wearers but you do get AP & Patek to which makes you realise who are the big bosses!!

I will say money or not it won't Ensure style though as some are horrid! It's a disease for sure but others have said they always look at shoes which I could not care less about so my clarks prob get many a negative comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk