Sign in to follow this  
doodoowah57

Hello from Canada ... and many thanks for the warm welcome

doodoowah57

Hello everyone,

I can't truly express how thankful I am to have read the many useful and heads-up contributions made by the members of this site. I am most grateful to say the least. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all.

I love watches - not only the beauty of the external design; but knowing that all those hundreds of little intricate parts together (mechanical watches), can measure and tell time absolutely fascinates me to no end...if I had to live my life over again, would I choose watch-making as a career ??? I also own quartz watches for gym-use and travel (alarm mode) - they are hassle-free and mostly inexpensive - replace battery when needed.

My interest in REPs started many years ago, but it was always as a passing fancy when something occurs that forces me to think outside the box. For instance, whenever I need to have a Rolex or Breitling maintain, I shake my head at the cost and wish that I didn't own them; and then quickly calculate how many less expensive watches or REPs I can buy that need very little maintenance with that money ... sheeesh.

Recently, I was browsing at the newly released Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Chrono, the homage to the Paul Newman Daytona - unfortunately, with a tiny wrist of 6.25 inches, the staggering large 42/18 Steinhart was a no go. That said, I love my Vintage GMT and Ocean One GMT - 42mm is fine, but 18mm thickness is just too too much. After the letdown, I decided to see what others had to say about the thickness and general review of the watch - wasn't surprised to find that a fair number shared my feelings about the crazy thickness; otherwise, another well-made watch from Steinhart. Reading through the many postings on the web, I learned about the Alpha "Newman" model, and the many Daytona REPs available from China pricing from $150 and up (the Steinhart homage is approximately $1,000 USD) ... this sparked something in me that I haven't been able to put out...which leads me to here and today.

Over the past several weeks, I have been tirelessly online searching for that elusive TD or two. It is a mind-boggling minefield out there. Then I happened across this site devoting itself to replicas...what a treasure trove of knowledge and wisdom...WOW. I started reading about movements, pitfalls, TDs, scams, etc ... currently, I have chosen TSWATCH INTERNATIONAL (not their hi-jacked site), and will also look at TRUSTY TIME to find someone that I can work with on a long-term basis.

After deciding on the TDs and going through their respective sites, the next daunting task was choosing models that "yell at me" and what movement choices to opt for. On the one hand, I can choose the cheapest versions using the 2813, but after reading about them and the 2836-2, I have decided on the latter - it is relatively much more expensive even though every other part of the watch is identical. On chronos, I have no movement option but the offered Asian 7750. I have also learned that gold-plating or black PVD coatings won't last long, thus I've decided on S/S models only. Yes, I agree that REPs in general are relatively inexpensive, but I want ones that will last longer than a few weeks or months - in fact, I want them to last years if possible. (Please forgive me if my use of terminology is incorrect - I'm not very technical and I'm still learning as time ticks away.)

I haven't bought any REPs yet, but I would like to hit the "PAY NOW" button very soon, and hopefully with 100% confidence.

Kind regards to all.

boci

Welcome!

Great first post. Keep reading and when you think you got it all figured out, read some more.

Also get the bank loan now, you will need it as you get into the watch addiction.

Mr Stubbs

Hi from Winnipeg and welcome aboard!

timesshopnet

welcome. thanks

RUSH2112

Very nice intro. Welcome and enjoy.