Sign in to follow this  
mindvision

Help me buy a 4500 gen

James.

Step 1) try on as many watches as you can. DO NOT buy your 1st expensive (ish) gen without knowning how it feels en wrist. Something might look pretty on instagram but wear like an absolute dog on you.

Step 2) disregard the opinions of all others and buy whatever you like. Be that a DJ, a navi, a tudor, an omega, whatever but never but a watch, especially this one, to impress others. You're paying for it, you'll lose money on resale, youll be wearing it and you'll be stuck with it.

Step 3) jomashop is perfectly fine, well priced and safe.

Step 4) don't rush. You've already added $1500 if theres nothing you want now or are unsure simply wait and continue to add to the pool. Before you know it you may be up to the $5-7k mark which will open up a few eladditional options.

Step 5) it doesnt matter if the watch is repped well or not, im assuning this is something youd keep for a while and hold sentimental value so being repped (well) may be a good thing so you can have a rep back up for nefarious activities.

fatarms

Never understood the appeal of the Navitimer. It looks like they printed everything they possibly could fit onto the dial and rehaut.

edwinowl

OwqwZ4.jpg

No question, one of the best movements ever made.

Gonna have me one at some point.

Cleebeauregard

A little "off topic", but if you're parents aren't wealthy, as you state, then I'd get a f'ing Apple watch or something and spend that $4500 on a car, saving for a down payment on a domecile, paying off debt, etc., etc. A 5K watch simply isn't something of a great deal of use to a young person, IMHO, unless you've got cash to burn. I didn't get my first $5,000 watch until I was 35 years old and a full-fledged neurosurgeon. And I'm still not sure it's of that much use, lol.

mindvision

A little "off topic", but if you're parents aren't wealthy, as you state, then I'd get a f'ing Apple watch or something and spend that $4500 on a car, saving for a down payment on a domecile, paying off debt, etc., etc. A 5K watch simply isn't something of a great deal of use to a young person, IMHO, unless you've got cash to burn.

I agree.

Long story short:

My mom saved for this watch for a few years because she knows I'm a watch fanatic and was going to graduate. I asked them so often to keep the money and just get me a 100 dollar pen or something, but she insists. It's not the about the money, it's about the watch. She wants to get me something that I can pass on later when my kid graduates.

I told 'em that the watch I wanted was 'sold out' etc, and she bought it. I hoped she'd forget about it or just drop it, but she's actually mad now and feels like I don't respect her wish to give her son who became a doctor his graduation gift. She's actually upset now and states that if I don't choose one, she will.

ower

Moonwatch. No second thought about it.

Cleebeauregard

A little "off topic", but if you're parents aren't wealthy, as you state, then I'd get a f'ing Apple watch or something and spend that $4500 on a car, saving for a down payment on a domecile, paying off debt, etc., etc. A 5K watch simply isn't something of a great deal of use to a young person, IMHO, unless you've got cash to burn.

I agree.

Long story short:

My mom saved for this watch for a few years because she knows I'm a watch fanatic and was going to graduate. I asked them so often to keep the money and just get me a 100 dollar pen or something, but she insists. It's not the about the money, it's about the watch. She wants to get me something that I can pass on later when my kid graduates.

I told 'em that the watch I wanted was 'sold out' etc, and she bought it. I hoped she'd forget about it or just drop it, but she's actually mad now and feels like I don't respect her wish to give her son who became a doctor his graduation gift. She's actually upset now and states that if I don't choose one, she will.

Ugh. That's tough. You're stuck. You better choose well, get it engraved, and treat that sucker with "Pulp Fiction" respect...before passing it on to your first born. :giggle:

Cleebeauregard

And if you're heading off for that fun-filled bag of shiite and eternal misery otherwise known as a residency, leave the fucking watch at home... Especially if you're going into a surgical specialty, as OR lockers are a thief's wet dream...

wdev

Step 1) try on as many watches as you can. DO NOT buy your 1st expensive (ish) gen without knowning how it feels en wrist. Something might look pretty on instagram but wear like an absolute dog on you.

Step 2) disregard the opinions of all others and buy whatever you like. Be that a DJ, a navi, a tudor, an omega, whatever but never but a watch, especially this one, to impress others. You're paying for it, you'll lose money on resale, youll be wearing it and you'll be stuck with it.

Step 3) jomashop is perfectly fine, well priced and safe.

Step 4) don't rush. You've already added $1500 if theres nothing you want now or are unsure simply wait and continue to add to the pool. Before you know it you may be up to the $5-7k mark which will open up a few eladditional options.

Step 5) it doesnt matter if the watch is repped well or not, im assuning this is something youd keep for a while and hold sentimental value so being repped (well) may be a good thing so you can have a rep back up for nefarious activities.

This pretty much sums it up. Sound advice

mindvision

And if you're heading off for that fun-filled bag of shiite and eternal misery otherwise known as a residency, leave the fucking watch at home... Especially if you're going into a surgical specialty, as OR lockers are a thief's wet dream...

First getting my PhD in trauma surgery, will start residency in 2018 hopefully :)

I'll go to an AD tomorrow and try on the Speedy and the Navitimer and decide then.

Meanwhile, please keep them suggestions coming.

Thanks so much for your advice guys, it really helps a lot.

Cleebeauregard

A PhD?? There's no hope for you... :giggle:

wdev

I notice nobody mentioned Grand Seiko yet :D

Under the radar, pricey, yet master craftsmanship at a fraction of what it would cost you had it been made in Switzerland

Some examples:

GrandSeikoSBGJ021-9.jpg

Grand-Seiko-GMT-Hi-Beat-3.jpeg

Grand-Seiko-55th-Anniversary-Spring-Drive-Chronograph-Limited-Edition-thumb-1440xauto-26711.jpg

No worries about reps, they don't exist.

deju

Buy the bloody moonie already.

Jeezus

fatarms

Buy the bloody moonie already.

Jeezus

That's the worst prayer I've ever read.

purger72

If Was buying gen in your price range it would be one of Zenith El Premiero.

This one is 45mm Case 14 thick, lots of watch presence. It is elegant for suit and tie yet sporty for casual wear to.. Zenith keeps its value as well.

Screenshot_2016-12-22-08-25-54_zpsb0aujwjl.png

Screenshot_2016-12-22-08-29-46_zpswhrpm0bc.png

Screenshot_2016-12-22-08-26-06_zps7ed3mdqr.png

Or more class look

Screenshot_2016-12-22-08-34-11_zpsxahula1x.png

Screenshot_2016-12-22-08-34-17_zpsj059apdx.png

Like this , maybe little to small at 40mm case

Than something in between like this below..

Screenshot_2016-12-22-08-36-13_zpsk9rury4r.png

Screenshot_2016-12-22-08-38-09_zps4kokzjj0.png

Screenshot_2016-12-22-08-36-35_zpsigg6lnme.png

Screenshot_2016-12-22-08-36-19_zpspzeejfqa.png

I like Navitimer, got rep but would never buy a gen. Omegas are great but it is watch so often seen on peoples wrists as is Tag Heuer.

Zenith in my opinion has all little bit more uniqueness , no doubht you get all boxes ticked including watch presence on the wrist.

Well thats just what I would spend 4500 on...

anfalas

Moonwatch all day long.........timeless classic

Dendo

A PhD?? There's no hope for you... :giggle:

.....and in trauma surgery.....oh dear :lol:

Dendo

Oh and I would not buy it new despite what your parents think - BNIB (brand new in box with papers etc) is perfect and 30% less - you are doing this clandestinely anyway - David SW is a great dealer.

....and in that price range a moonwatch is the one.

Stewart

As far as I can tell there is no good rep of the Omega Seamaster GMT 50th anniversary. It costs much less than you are willing to spend and looks fabulous.

imgres_zpsyfhdq2mf.jpg

GenTLe
That's a great suggestion, thank you.

I thought the Navitimer had 2 versions: 1 with working chrono and sunken datewheel and 1 with good datewheel and non-working chromosome.

The 3714, didn't that one have a terrible movement?

I'll look into that Speedmaster, great suggestion.

You wrote "Navitimer world", that is a 6/9/12 chronograph and all works and no sunken date. The one with the not working chronograph or sunken date is the Navitimer 01 which is different and has the dials at 3/6/9.

This is the Navitimer World:

asset-version-76608958c3-navitmer-world.png

This is the Navitimer 01:

asset-version-bf55c8bd66-ab012012-bb01-435x-a20ba1.jpg

The IWC SWF has a new movement with no problem anymore. Those with not jeweled sec at 6 were the old ones or the Daytona.

NFleischer

Ashford. com also has some good deals on the Zenith El Primero

Chronographs. Fantastic watches for under $4000. Have open

case backs showing those gorgeous movements.

Phantomtech

Another vote for the Moonwatch. Nothing comes even close in this price range.

10:10 Watch Repair

Ashford. com also has some good deals on the Zenith El Primero

Chronographs. Fantastic watches for under $4000. Have open

case backs showing those gorgeous movements.

That's a good suggestion.

Otherwise, if you can get a BNIB Portuguese for 4500 euro out the door, do it.