Sign in to follow this  
mercedesbenz

Wearing your Gens and Reps

mercedesbenz

Just curious - how many of you wear your reps more than your gens? That seems to be my mode of operation - the gens just sit in the box.

RepGuy

I almost exclusively wear my reps. This is for three main reasons:

1. I can't afford many of the gen versions of my reps, as I mostly wear AP

2. If something were to happen to my rep, I'm out a few hundred dollars, as opposed to thousands.

3. Reps have gotten to the point where they are so good, there is little chance of getting 'called out' in public. I also wear my reps for myself, not others.

Aquanautilus

I wear my reps on a daily basis.

The above listed reasons apply to me too, except the AP-mention but this could change soon.

My gens are only allowed to play on special occasions.

Apart from that I treat my reps as good as my gens.

Thelittleprince

I feel you there! I even replaced a few gens for the reps! Some gens just weren't worth the cash because of how good the reps have gotten! The biggest one i stand by the rep is my Black bay V5, its really not worth paying for the Gen imho

RepGuy
I feel you there! I even replaced a few gens for the reps! Some gens just weren't worth the cash because of how good the reps have gotten! The biggest one i stand by the rep is my Black bay V5, its really not worth paying for the Gen imho

I agree with replacing some gens with reps due to economical reasons. I have no intentions to pass my watches down someday, so I have no problem with wearing reps, as I will be the only one to ever wear them. On top of this, I can get 15-20 high quality AP reps for around the same price I would pay for a single gen AP. If the build quality of these reps were horrible, or they weren't close to the gen at all, I would consider just getting the gen, but that's not the case.

mercedesbenz

I don't wear mine a lot, if ever...lol - I find myself wearing the BK pieces I have and the one AP Ceramic the most. Should sell the gens...lol

SamsonAusKognito

I agree with replacing some gens with reps due to economical reasons. I have no intentions to pass my watches down someday, so I have no problem with wearing reps, as I will be the only one to ever wear them. On top of this, I can get 15-20 high quality AP reps for around the same price I would pay for a single gen AP. If the build quality of these reps were horrible, or they weren't close to the gen at all, I would consider just getting the gen, but that's not the case.

That deserves an amen! :)

I handle it the same way, the very few gens I have get a wristtime just at special events.

If you see the huge economic difference between reps and gens and the high quality of the reps

it feels much better to wear the reps all day, and even to get some gens replaced who got way too competitive reps.

deju

My watches are my watches I love them rep or gen, I wear what I feel like that day

rusty peters

I treat them interchangeably now. I used to feel like I was "slumming" with a rep but at this point, I forget that they are even reps!

mercedesbenz

Very true Rusty Peters - they are so good that one does forget they are reps! And what will these "reps" look like 5-10 years from now??

myaz

Got more reps than gens so more reps show up in the rotation.

I'm equally careful with both.

Things evolve in this hobby over time. For me it means that whereas it felt like a kid in a candy store initially, I am being more and more selective.

Thelittleprince

Based on all the posts I've read from you, i think you and i are pretty much AP addicts and this point! And all i can say is even if the money is there for a gen, the real issue with Ap is they are extremely addictive once you get one, you gotta have atleast a collection of 6 imho! So the fraction of the price of a gen you can already have a whole collection of AP reps that are absoulty worth the cash!

Edited by Thelittleprince

Thelittleprince

As far as passing down a watch! You only need one gen to do that ;) if thats the intention. Reps are for fun and to quench the thirst you would have had for a long time of saving up a lot of money just for something materialstic. Sad part is within a week or two after buying a gen and saving up thousands of dollars, you will find yourself bored and realize you could have done so much for the price of one materialistic thing thats on your wrist

fatarms

For me, they're all in the rotation. However, I don't wear my gens to work with the exception of the Oris and 127 Homage because I really don't want to increase the chance of desk dives or scuffs from doorways. I usually change watches when I get home from work as well. I'm weird like that.

Thelittleprince
For me, they're all in the rotation. However, I don't wear my gens to work with the exception of the Oris and 127 Homage because I really don't want to increase the chance of desk dives or scuffs from doorways. I usually change watches when I get home from work as well. I'm weird like that.

Not weird at all, i don't dress up much so i enjoy my Tourbys at home. I think I've only taken them out twice! Always have divers or chronos when im out!

Aquanautilus
the real issue with Ap is they are extremely addictive once you get one, you gotta have atleast a collection of 6 imho

Which 6 would that be? I'll take them as a consideration :)

Yet I don't own one but on my list for next year there are already three: 15400 (TT), 15202 (blue), 26574 (blue)

Thelittleprince
the real issue with Ap is they are extremely addictive once you get one, you gotta have atleast a collection of 6 imho

Yet I don't own one but on my list for next year there are already three: 15400 (TT), 15202 (blue), 26574 (blue)

Idk why i said 6 :lmao: maybe because im aiming for 6 to 8 to be easy on my wallet but ill list what i have an what i plan to have

Own: 15400 black dial with prof 2xar

White dial diver with a white rubber strap V3

Black dial diver V8

Have to go:

Rose gold 15450 black dial

Ss blue dial 15450

Want list for now

Ruben Barrichello RG white dial

15400 RG white dial black strap

44mm Panda ROO

Safari

15400 RG black dial black strap

And who knows maybe they update the Royal oak chronos with the correct subdials!

Theres more but these are my top picks for now

RepGuy

Idk why i said 6 :lmao: maybe because im aiming for 6 to 8 to be easy on my wallet but ill list what i have an what i plan to have

Black dial diver V8

Have to go:

Ss blue dial 15450

Want list for now

44mm Panda ROO

Safari

And who knows maybe they update the Royal oak chronos with the correct subdials!

It does seem as if we both have a healthy collection of AP's. I can't justify spending $16k on a gen AP Diver, but I can justify picking up 2-3 AP reps at at time for 1/100 the price :lol:

SamsonAusKognito

Not weird at all! :lol:

I rotate with all watches I wear at work, but ...

at home I wear most times my Rolex Submariner "Kermit"

on the way to sports I wear my Super Avenger with rubber strap

and when I walk with my dog it changes between Submariner, Navitimer, or Pam Bronzo :lol:

Thelittleprince

Black dial diver V8

Have to go:

Ss blue dial 15450

Want list for now

44mm Panda ROO

Safari

It does seem as if we both have a healthy collection of AP's. I can't justify spending $16k on a gen AP Diver, but I can justify picking up 2-3 AP reps at at time for 1/100 the price :lol:

Amen to that!!! Lol with my taste and personality with AP's id have to be a billionaire to support my thirst for them :lmao: the goal is to build a solid Ap rep collection, maybe later in life i would learn which is my favorite Ap rep and buy one gen Ap! Though the service cost of Ap is pretty much worst than the actual cost lol

Aquanautilus

Black dial diver V8

Have to go:

Ss blue dial 15450

Want list for now

44mm Panda ROO

Safari

Thank you for your response, appreciated!

You are about to let go two 15450s, is it because of the size?

Side story: I was about to order a RO SS white dial from Ryan and didn't know which size would fit me better. So I stepped into an AD for a comparison. There they showed me the 15400 RG white dial in which I fell in love.

Thelittleprince

Black dial diver V8

Have to go:

Ss blue dial 15450

Want list for now

44mm Panda ROO

Safari

Thank you for your response, appreciated!

You are about to let go two 15450s, is it because of the size?

Side story: I was about to order a RO SS white dial from Ryan and didn't know which size would fit me better. So I stepped into an AD for a comparison. There they showed me the 15400 RG white dial in which I fell in love.

Yea i had a small watch phase that didn't last long! Plus the 15400 is sexier in my opinion

20161220_140411_zpsodmxvxuo.jpg

Also looks more masculine next to my girls 33mm ;)

Oh and imho the RG with white dial with a black leather strap is the most elegent royal oak!!

Edited by Thelittleprince

Aquanautilus

Thank you for the comparison pic...the 33mm really is for delicately built wrists only.

Sorry OP for thread-capping!

ag69

I mostly wear my reps, but the gens get wrist time once in a while.

Genius

I actually find myself trying to wear my gens more then the reps, I think becuase I have a lot more money in them so it feels like I need to justify owning them, problem is I really have too many watches to be able wear any of them enough