Sign in to follow this  
steveo75

AP 15400 RO in the wild...I'm a convert

steveo75

i'm new to reps, but have long loved watches. My first and only rep so far is an IWC which I love, and I know it'll lead to more...I like pretty simple, unflashy watch designs, and have been looking at some thin dress watches as a next purchase, but a couple of hours ago I saw an AP - what I think was a 15400 RO in gold in the window of a pawn shop. Absolutely *stunning*. Put every other watch in the window in the shade - Breitling, Omegas and more.

So...I now know an AP is in my future too. Any recommendations for an AP newbie of a first one for a fairly skinny wrist? I find 40mm feels big enough but could maybe go a little more. I'm thinkng blue dial, stainless steel perhaps...

steveo75

Apologies for posting in the wrong place, just getting used to the forum. Thanks for the link, I'm working my way through it now.

andyboy

Apologies for posting in the wrong place, just getting used to the forum. Thanks for the link, I'm working my way through it now.

Moved :)

chronomate
i'm new to reps, but have long loved watches. My first and only rep so far is an IWC which I love, and I know it'll lead to more...I like pretty simple, unflashy watch designs, and have been looking at some thin dress watches as a next purchase, but a couple of hours ago I saw an AP - what I think was a 15400 RO in gold in the window of a pawn shop. Absolutely *stunning*. Put every other watch in the window in the shade - Breitling, Omegas and more.

So...I now know an AP is in my future too. Any recommendations for an AP newbie of a first one for a fairly skinny wrist? I find 40mm feels big enough but could maybe go a little more. I'm thinkng blue dial, stainless steel perhaps...

Go for the JF V2 version. They are really good reps.

But the 15400 wears bigger than it is. That is due to the case shape.

Alternative to the 15400 is the 15450 with 37mm diameter and also made by JF.

chronomate

4B60DEBF-7B13-4B30-B9E8-A6183FC05202_zpszurtgdxj.jpg

79C965A8-6709-4661-9323-76B1B8525466_zpsece67fc5.jpg

Thelittleprince

I have small wrists and i have both the 15450 anf the 15400. I personally like the 15400 more because the thickness and the case size of the 15450 is a bit awkward!

Thelittleprince

Oh and don't get all rose gold AP's!!! My biggest advice to you is just don't!!! You can get rose gold versions with leather straps, but the all rose gold tends to look dirty after a little while and kinda bronze rather than gold!

steveo75

Thanks for the photos and advice, really is appreciated. I totally agree with you that a leather strap probably looks better with gold than going all gold.

From the photos I love the presence of the larger size but also how discrete the smaller one is. Decisions decisions! Will probably end up getting both at this rate. I've had a similar dilemma over the different size Omega AT's - I know I want one of those too, but don't know which size :)

Thanks again for the help.

SamsonAusKognito

40mm is the biggest authentic size and looks stunning.

Buy one made from JF (toro got them on stock, I think) they make the best reps of AP.

chronomate

There also is the 15202 and the 15300, each with with 39mm. Unfortunately both are not repped very well.

Sead offers a 15202 with quartz movement (no seconds hand) at low cost. Though it has tells, I still think it'll be a good alternative for people that like the design but the 41mm 15400 feels too big and the 37mm 15450 too small. Besides the case diameter, the 15202 also is much thinner than the 15400, 15450 and 15300.

jordanrides

Oh and don't get all rose gold AP's!!! My biggest advice to you is just don't!!! You can get rose gold versions with leather straps, but the all rose gold tends to look dirty after a little while and kinda bronze rather than gold!

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. I have both RG and SS and find they look as equally dirty as one another; if not the SS a little dirtier and IMO the RG is much more stunning.

I think if you like the gold go for it! You won't be disappointed a RG JF 15400 was my first rep and still my favourite!

Sneaky Pete

I would love to get a RG 15400, but these watches seem like they tend to scratch easily as it is. I'd probably trash a RG plated 15400 in hours! :death:

I've been toying with the idea of having a solid gold day/date or a 15400 made this year (I'm not sure I'd trust the color match of a solid RG). I know the day/date has been done, but I haven't seen a solid 15400 done yet. The open back on the 15400 is the only thing that turns me off on spending that much on an otherwise awesome big $ rep. Although, did the 15400 ever come with a closed back???

chronomate

The 15400 was launched in 2012 and as far as I know it came with an open case back ever since.

Thelittleprince

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. I have both RG and SS and find they look as equally dirty as one another; if not the SS a little dirtier and IMO the RG is much more stunning.

I think if you like the gold go for it! You won't be disappointed a RG JF 15400 was my first rep and still my favourite!

I also have both. The SS does not look dirty at all, not sure what you mean?

20161220_140411_zpsodmxvxuo.jpg

As far as the RG with the RG bracelet, not only mine but a lot of members here can agree that it looks dirty gold or even bronze after a little bit! The SS is incredibly clean

Member X

By complete coincidence I noticed a jeweller today that had one of these with a black dial (as well as a ROO Diver and that limited edition 2-in-1 black-and-white PAM boxset) - it did seem to have a 'gen aura' under those twinkling shop-window lights.

But almost £12k for a secondhand watch in steel? Crazy.