Sign in to follow this  
elp

How to spot a fake Rolex - guaranteed.

elp

This Video Shows You Exactly How to Spot a Fake Rolex

It's actually quite easy—if you know what to look for.

http://www.esquire.c...ify-fake-rolex/

Most of us probably know that if you're paying 50 bucks for it, or buying it from a guy in a trench coat on 6th Avenue, a Rolex is probably a fake. But with so many counterfeit watches out there, sometimes you need a little more info to go on. Fortunately Ben Clymer, founder of the popular online wristwatch magazine Hodinkee, has teamed up with Complex News to create a video with three foolproof tips to help figure out if a Rollie isn't on the up-and-up.

The first thing to know is that a real Rolex will have a smoothly sweeping second hand. If it's ticking, then the watch is counterfeit.

The second is the date window. On a real Rolex, the date window will have a lens with a 3-4 times magnification, while a fake one will have zero.

And finally, there is the hallmark stamp. According to Clymer, any gold watch that has been imported to the U.S. has an import hallmark that's stamped on either the inside of the case or the wristband (or both). Without hallmarks, the watch probably isn't real gold, i.e. it's fake.

Simple enough, right?

:maty:

Rolexl0ver
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Demsey

Lord. I got as far as the first sentence; "The first thing to know is that a real Rolex will have a smoothly sweeping second hand. If it's ticking, then the watch is counterfeit."

This bullshit has gotten legs with the so called 'experts', to the point these 'experts' see the eight beats/sec of my gen. and call it out as 'fake'. Ironically, I think the only wrist watch that doesn't 'beat' at all is a quartz drive? Gen Rolex TrueBeat mechanicals beat at one second intervals? Whatevs.............

I couldn't bring myself to read further, but, I'm sure by the 'expert' criteria of 'tells' all our TD's obviously, only, sell gens. Sigh.................................

BadPickle

Easy peasy :D

bobandshawn

Rollie with a 4X?

B

lego67

"The second is the date window. On a real Rolex, the date window will have a lens with a 3-4 times magnification" ... so does that mean my gen no date Rolex is fake ??? Damn ... confused ... deleted my Hodinkee bookmark

ImNotFatlmFluffy

Is there a similar guide for the Avenger II Sea Wolf?

thanx

Santaros

So celebs spend a fortune on this dude to tell them how to unload a fuckload of money on watches, fine :D

KarmaToBurn

Oh crap. I think I bought a few gens accidentally.

RussP

Rollie with a 4X?

B

My 2.5x cyclops is a goddam fake ??????????????????

RussP

Ben Clymer's articles on WatchTime (app) are pretty good, usually.

I wonder if this is somebody impersonating him by making absurd comments on things like hallmarks etc.

rusty peters

That's a relief. Glad to hear my Regmariner is authentic!

elp

Here's my fake :rofl:

WP_20150617_15_25_24_Pro_zpszxdapb86.jpg

childishthing
:rofl:

madden

Well to be fair this will probably be satisfactory for 90% of the fake rolex out there. I could kind of buy this as a "3 easy steps to know immediately", but the 3rd step is much more confusing than the first two and isn't properly explained that I feel like it's worthless advice.

Still, if we were to make our own "3 tells of a fake", what would you recommend? I'd probably go with:

-weight

-properly engraved crown at 6

-proper AR on the cyclops

atgm

Weight (especially for gold), SEL fit, bezel for most, I think.

A movement check is the easiest and a serial check probably the most authoritative, but neither of those are really "tells" so much as "deep inspection."

Rx4Time

Not sure about the third point as the first two seemed to be aimed at spotting one on someone's wrist. I think the AR on the Cyclops is a dead giveaway and fairly easy to spot. While yes the hallmarks are pertenant to a gold version, the odds are you will have picked it up and noticed the lack of weight long before you see the missing hallmarks.

GhostInTheFog

Glad these morons still believe the "guidelines" that have been easily bypassed by reps.

Realism

I look for suspicious individuals in the men's room who tries to either look at my crotch or wrist when im peeing...

childishthing

According to this video, I'm paying too much for my reps. :rofl:

Ryan808r

Sound is an easy step that seems to be left out. If that thing is loud then that thing is most likely fake, or in some cases I guess busted... lol

childishthing

Sound is an easy step that seems to be left out. If that thing is loud then that thing is most likely fake, or in some cases I guess busted... lol

That's a quality post sir! Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Ryan808r

Appreciate the welcome. Stranded from RWI but like alot of the stuff you guys got on here. Plenty of quality information floating around these forums.