thorn697

A New Hobby - Making Straps

thorn697

One tip:

Use a sharp blade, and I mean so sharp it cuts you by looking at it (Scalpel Sharp), measure and mark, check the leather is true, measure again: and cut once all the way through keeping pressure on the leather to stop it from deforming; for a nice true sharp edge.

Thanks for the tip. I'm planning to go to my local Tandy today to shop around for some supplies, so I'll add a razor to the list.

thorn697

It's getting fishy here on Valentine's Day....and not talking about the women.

26x22 metallic blue carp with blue stitching and edges.

es8Z1Gq.jpgaKm52bn.jpg

MDK

One tip:

Use a sharp blade, and I mean so sharp it cuts you by looking at it (Scalpel Sharp), measure and mark, check the leather is true, measure again: and cut once all the way through keeping pressure on the leather to stop it from deforming; for a nice true sharp edge.

Thanks for the tip. I'm planning to go to my local Tandy today to shop around for some supplies, so I'll add a razor to the list.

A head knife is best, although you can use a decent hobby knife; i use a Stanley Fat max with snap blades a lot and it works well, as soon as it dulls even slightly just snap it off.

A head knife will cost you a lot and need to be cared for, Stanley craft knife is cheap as chips and works really well.

thorn697

Today the Little Prince got a big upgrade. Figured out how to run a diagonal stitch and got a good look on the edge.

Overall, really pleased with the way this turned out. Thanks to MDK and McJules for the advice!

mHWMKTp.jpg

zsz1zy4.jpg

E5LW0PM.jpg

emtp101

A few weeks ago, I took the plunge into strap making. With a handful of tools and a box of leathers, this is what I've been able to make so far. I have a lot of really cool exotic leathers that I'm going to be working with once I get a little more confident.

The the one on the left is a black suede with a red leather underside. The other is shark with a black leather underside.

YFJ4L0J.jpg

Beautiful straps, this is one hobby I have been wanting to get into.

thorn697

Do it! It's really very fun. I've found that new straps help resuscitate some of my box queens.

thorn697

Today was a big day. I got a package from Jina (as Trump says).

And here's what was inside.....

dfBYzQA.jpg

kFGnJzE.jpg

75 different colors!!!

I was waiting on these to finish up this lizard strap for my bronzo.

NcAGT2E.jpg

Xzh6EXI.jpg

PhillyRock

<------(Another strap hobbyist)

Keep going buddy, the fun always outweighs the frustration and learning.

20170217_155642_zpsuzcyrbjv.jpg

thorn697

<------(Another strap hobbyist)

Keep going buddy, the fun always outweighs the frustration and learning.

Those edges are looking sweet!

thorn697

Decided it was time to break into some of my nicer leathers...

Here's a stonewash ostrich leg for the Pelagos.

I completed the first sale earlier this week. It was a fairly plain black leather strap for a fashion watch. The girlfriend gifting it was very pleased :) I will upload pictures if people are interested.

EtyodEP.jpgO5SB3QA.jpghEYRUf5.jpg

thorn697

Haven't had an update in a while. I picked up a dremel and some edge finishing bits that has been a game changer on the edge finishing process.

I also came up with a name and opened an Etsy shop. Still working on the logo and branding, but its called Fu Straps. I got the idea for the name from my PAM 366 Fu. It means good fortune in Chinese, so the marketing is that the straps will be a good luck charm.

Here is my latest creation. Gray stingray with black horse leather keepers. I haven't decided whether I'll put it up for sale or put it on one of these watches. You tell me.

b4EuS2x.jpgOfQzp6K.jpg0iInlnZ.jpg

Edited by thorn697

McJules

Looking good bro!

madaboutyou

Strap no. 3 looks gorgeous! Are you planning to sell it?

thorn697

Strap no. 3 looks gorgeous! Are you planning to sell it?

I'd be happy to. Which one are you referring to?

thorn697

This one was a real pain in the ass. First time working with alligator. I wanted to make it fit the deployant clasp, but it was too thick....Ended up having to undo half the stitching to unglue and thin it out the leather. I'm pretty fond of the result.

jElCzDP.jpg

txqJSLZ.jpg

NLLQFBU.jpg

hUdJyan.jpg

The recent PAM strap lineup

kOSEFHr.jpg

thorn697

This week is full of green. Completed this horween strap with ostrich keepers for my Aqua Terra Golf. I'm also 90% done with a green ostrich strap for the Hulk. I've invested a few dollars in a descent photography setup, so hopefully my pictures will start being less shitty.

Enjoy

RBCa0tT.jpg9Ff7RqZ.jpgJuN6dyr.jpg

thorn697

...And here's the Hulk strap I was referring to above

ngRssJM.jpgXIcw3u7.jpgHCQLuyf.jpgBbcR9O9.jpg

thorn697

Some big things have happened since my last update. I sent in a design to get a custom made makers mark, and it came in the mail this week. I also crossed the 20 strap mark. It's crazy to think I've made that many in a few months. I took a few comprehensive photos that I will share later.

TegPymC.jpg

4 straps that I've made since the last update

yOLsVmy.jpgcJro9zF.jpgrzdRtYs.jpg

thorn697

As promised, 20 strap photoshoot:

2C5Hf3d.jpg

xZQ9XGk.jpgVEK7W4M.jpg?1T2xQVvu.jpg?1

thorn697

A few new things on this one. This is an inlay of a Swiss WWII bag with some artistic stitching. It also includes a sew-in buckle. Not sure how much I like the sew-in. What are your thoughts on them?

PxjtmPW.jpgplSHEkI.jpg7Jq6SEL.jpg

thorn697

I got a really cool looking polished stingray hide that has had a second coat of black dye put on it. This makes it a true black that still shines in the light. It was designed for a Panerai, so I gave it some Italian flag stitching.

Also got some ammo pouches. Working on a strap with one of them right now. I'm hoping to finish it up very shortly.

9USmlXM.jpg4R6AcSn.jpgwJ8S8Cz.jpg

thorn697

Here's the followup to that last picture as well as some of this weeks other work. I acquired some more cool vintage stuff I plan on making soon.

WWII ammo pouch. This made my wrist so sore trying to skive (thin) the leather on the back to make the proper fold. I think it had to do with the age of the leather. It was like cutting into a rock.

DjueJwT.jpg

Sea snake with tribal stitching

EXyCOGk.jpg

Thick padded ostich

4zy4v7v.jpgbi1wOR5.jpg

This is going to make some really cool straps. It's a Japanese military bag from WWII. Apparently it says the soldiers name along with some more information on the back.

B4hnEqF.jpg

thorn697

3 new ones. All pretty different styles.

7LPilQK.jpg

49bdWyT.jpg

Still trying to figure out the best solution for the edges with these canvas straps. They tend to fray, so I tried applying some heat. I don't think its the best solution. I want to try a folded edge next time, but have had trouble coming up with a good solution for getting it folded in a way that's visually appealing.

Ky0vN1v.jpg

This one was designed by my lady. It looks really cool on her.

yePS24N.jpg

thorn697

Really happy with the way this most recent strap turned out. After the 4th try, I feel really I can make a really solid B&R strap. It seems like every strap I make a few mistakes that I learn to avoid on the next one. It feels like those lessons are starting to show in the details. I'm going to add a bunch of pictures of the details for this one.

GaO0Npz.jpgrWvdHIL.jpg0M1IGyj.jpg

6182Ena.jpg

The edges are super smooth

ywoax2Q.jpg

Stitching is getting very clean and so my speed has increased dramatically

H4WDvve.jpg

wolfwood

That canvas strap on the bronzo looks really cool. Hope you can find a good solution for the edge finishing.