Sign in to follow this  
pthurst

My Review: Seiko Padi 'Turtle' (SRPA21) and comment on strap quality

pthurst

Hi All,

I last bought a Seiko 12 years ago while on holiday in Portugal. I found out (the hard way) that the watch which I'd taken with me, wasn't quite as waterproof as it should have been. I plumped for a Seiko GMT perpetual and it served me quite well!

A week ago, over on Hodinkee I saw the announcement that Seiko will soon launch two limited edition pieces, one of which was based on the famed 1960's 'turtle' design.

It was as if the fog in front of my eyes was immediately lifted and all became clear. I needed a 'turtle' in my collection... I needed another Seiko.

I must say, some things don't seem to have changed much in the decade since I last bought a Seiko, For some reason. The instruction booklet and the box materials seem similar to my last purchase but as soon as I got hands-on with the watch itself, I'm glad to say I was pleasantly surprised... Well almost!!!

The watch is lovely (I went for the 'Padi' Turtle) and is built well (I'm used to Omega's and Tudors), but its another matter altogether when it comes to the strap. So much so, I had to nip into town to buy another one immediately.

Why are so many watch manufacturers with decent reputations (yes I'm talking about you Seiko) content to turn out decent watches on terrible, 'flimsy' cheap straps?

Anyway, as always, I have posted a full initial impressions review to my watch channel on youtube, and if you're in the market for a similar Seiko 'Turtle' then I hope you find my thoughts useful.

All the best.

Paul

TheTinMan

Nice watch.

Ironically, I'm looking for a watch to take to Portugal on holiday. Every road leads to Seiko for me, for some reason. I agree about Seiko bracelets and I've already accepted the fact that I will either buy a nicer bracelet, or put it on rubber so that I can take it in the water with me.

Congratulations, I love the Padi. Wear it well.

Edited by TheTinMan

WatchDog21

Love mine, it definitely gets plenty of wrist time. I do agree on the bracelet. I messed with this for a few hours, it was a real bugger and I ended up just taking it to my local watch guy. After all of that I too had no confidence in the bracelet maybe falling apart. In the end I opted to get a BoR from Harold and I really like the fit..

Mine says hello!

N5Q2VvBl.jpg

wdev

I had the same urge as you after reading the same reviews :D

However, I am still a bit undecided in choosing between the SRPA21 and the SRP777 (the SRPA being more collectible and the 777 more versatile)

Have you looked at strapcode bracelets yet? http://www.strapcode.com/store/index.php

pthurst

Back from the Jewelers...That's better :-)

Hirsch Blue Strap goes quite well IMHO

IMG_6896.jpg

pthurst

However, I am still a bit undecided in choosing between the SRPA21 and the SRP777 (the SRPA being more collectible and the 777 more versatile)

Have you looked at strapcode bracelets yet? http://www.strapcode...store/index.php

Thanks for the heads up re the strap, hope my video is in some way useful. In summary though, great watch, lousy strap! (do you know if the 777 suffers with the same supplied strap?)

Paul

wdev

Have you looked at strapcode bracelets yet? http://www.strapcode...store/index.php

Thanks for the heads up re the strap, hope my video is in some way useful. In summary though, great watch, lousy strap! (do you know if the 777 suffers with the same supplied strap?)

Paul

When looking at 777's online all I see is that it's supplied on rubber.

I assume the Turtle stock bracelets are all close to each other regarding quality and feel. If I go for the 777 I aim to get it on rubber. Looks badass :D

Seiko-Prospex-SRP777-3.jpg

pthurst

Paul

When looking at 777's online all I see is that it's supplied on rubber.

I assume the Turtle stock bracelets are all close to each other regarding quality and feel. If I go for the 777 I aim to get it on rubber. Looks badass :D

Seiko-Prospex-SRP777-3.jpg

Yes that looks very nice indeed. Quite different than the Pepsi style, more understated and classy

Paul

Bash64

I also have a new Seiko Turtle. These all have the pin and collar routine (like the Sumos). They are a real pain to figure out. If you don't get the collar on properly, it falls apart. The collar is just a friction fit on the pin and if you do not get both ends well recessed in the bracelet, the collar will not be on far enough and it will come apart almost right away.

pincollar_1.jpg

Surprisingly, you do not need a pin removal tool to push them together, just a pin on the collar side large enough to catch the collar. Mine fell apart twice before I got it right. Once I did, I realized you can push them all together using hand tools (not a screw pin removal tool). Now it is as solid as my Sumo.

wdev

Look what just washed up at my doorstep

IMG_20170120_101321_zpsjka9izo9.jpg

IMG_20170120_142909_zps0pi3q79n.jpg

MoveAlong

Very nice wdev, congrats!

wdev

Very nice wdev, congrats!

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

pthurst

Lovely watch, how you getting on with it?

IMG_20170120_101321_zpsjka9izo9.jpg

IMG_20170120_142909_zps0pi3q79n.jpg

wdev

Lovely watch, how you getting on with it?

Wore it 6 days out of the last 7. Says enough :D

Superb watch, the rubber strap is very comfortable. For me, a very, very big plus is the movement which you can handwind and it also hacks. If you are into divers, this is a musthave

arancini

I have the Seiko PADI.

Strap Adjusted by the jeweler when purchased.

Never had a problem with it.

Day/date complication. Retro look from respected manufacturer. Great Blue sunburst effect dial. Bright lume. And solid construction for the fraction of the price of a Rolex Sub.

Very happy with it. Seiko hit it out of the park with this one.

Edited by arancini

Higs

LYw2ohejded0vQdV0SOLZn_o5y7IyBRFoMi8GbAVM4wMH_IKQ5FVG1WSUgHPg6PfuTsExg5fKS3OEzxFmKJgHZW-FjzCc2p5gNWQPdT2Z4R1FAtSoSg0RIa5ub9GBOQN8oU35jKDQ9Lmq-LBTqMLgK8RNs9bKaf1BGRy51Sma7KiF6FprpDC7O2TqHmWWuRNI2ha67CdLj5JA5lQi_slu4cn4OOLhQ90Vw-BouVmmDOoJ70_srA-HJkgIrPZBViufu8I6y5iyZHvinK1Sz8C3hJKAA1Q-QPQzKZM06zKmM8fji3hbBEx4V950xixibPqthV444sT-rEhO6cpOxg5iCm8LfyWyJ3O_ESYiWtSkMn6dL3r--h6j6QCeA1gwYSJE4eR0r8BF_8iHh1QL-h_qrvz0ZsJr9Jg6zeCdwI0YniGka8c-syFqDCK6Ob2svHUjZYH4fP3L8kwHICq2l7j9ecXPWPCYA6iBLVf5X8lUPaNoxEnkFJXp6m2ey4FiZa3hqSfFl5P7QfgkFqaim_7F3giHQozws4c7GHzr5NJruETv4xgHALqJipPuLGhtvr5Mn4VE1v1Rdcy6C8N8KUxnGzv47IxWFt_CHTIdDYt__rXvzKVFt0X5A=w613-h638-no-tmp.jpg

zinI_AstEOhgMs6KWLFSYwI-kiC_qGTWtRSaQyvP3S4xQY0o7VIqO_KWsz3Sk6wjSekoeg-wXpZCrTY6QCC8U4ph9WdfJr9NGy_frcpBz9HcNot-eUFQ8P-paCxOb9sTBHDKWOGxkmgeBRzHQnKE4NFuSTxDvsM0EsDbsSiT6duaiNR6LAlnZxCe3XjV13VmZNXn0Yqr2POISxhKcXj7-N91eWMA9xNs7IOr_poMbZrpYGEnGzDmDa-tVoMg8g46xLroDRTOfy_vYymHN8pVgwSyauZw_-m0jyOnzTByJEoVeLu6ALxOa-cLM3trU8KI51skYH9x6ary66Sf-BmmKhJ1hRMX3LShdZp5RJeb0ObcfPBjNdbbn8i3OEsfqhEBoN398vzHZDRw6cGL2SrVvskRbnm_Xq5A-6eaipvMmpLW9yy8LoJjXS0NX8fZ96vDd_bv5qXS99M-AUAx8daB_33wmHrBFdV9A9-ww52rcNzTHYsGco_sOaOiCGym7NgxqktCbHKEhXvai30GLzTJKgx_clIUHuaOLQ-ty6EwDC_s5EKcezGTVGvU_Ivg6G4X8zlcPHj0f55sePbfPJT2LJoTaxNBVcVIeulgprG6ewegNH2GR44LBg=w788-h638-no-tmp.jpg

gWHieLZdUG54asDMWtbOoSQVy_8Ge0C0P2nc2eroTK78oexXSrK_cSR5w6RYAxBWGmWpqwIsRsUuxKeqfMaEkxOempTtGSCpEp4Blc53J3dWO_czDJtOxF91-XRtu0KCUiDvnDlmvnGBGSIpuyUQxqdQNaPOqZi65Peupn9QZW49EBxCANoHQv-RH_S3aEtGUJf-styYZO8fF68FNGBbA42LRfbYGJiAX3pb0ShvLB4hgVD4XFz94KRMn7qjK9JwLzPoygkMiigznPlZbMBxsBCMNN84yjUYz39UByJHovF-56YGMUtd2Zt3emcN5UJS5TgT4-2HF4VpgFNZ1ItoBkHyz6ZDZQAAIjOIYapVqywqNHPNktWofxmkko9P08wMGIdnQLy6oToBKWZrF8kXEcmimh9sSEJ52HPw9TWAqwiodNVu8VyIbyzgVUIUO6evz0PPW6z4PfVmaQfU5eGlmjqhv3OGtfFKobrF82I_P6H8ngvLBSTkkvahq7KqU6hXSwXt3M6-_7ugY9YrBtl_U-MZgciE1rMakr9q2uXHT48kcJDJhfp4LfQ6ixQ4gS99ANT0AXT96gRvWhnz2jplXlU24Z6uGT3hCmEb3itYjZU7PvEY8COEiw=w1063-h638-no-tmp.jpg

gyLoJEVzehXqm3GUwh1xRyzpWfiDwU9y_zEQr7MpvVSaWmU8X0t1zYVtVA2GFE-urGUZdV43Lfot5oOpcrtNVCw4lzY0Ry0MGQWIYfssnm-JuYF9_J4MloZt4HDlC56JOo1HbAmNCgE-Akf7YnK59cCY_kIdJGmmWwPWocQXjPGTOa8rvbwqhet6ugv6UC5b2LH3iriScyEaLShZRRbJianLA7OCOwhWeOA80mMZvq_8-ZQVlHtLElZGAmj4QXjv0CJkCwYhEQdgzSiPc97TYj41kFlsUtUihev93cIj5DeubHf9gknBZNdvR60GubDGKAbeF8a8XDV0BrSRcdoMRxtwc75Asb045OKTDmG_0TZ2f7dIHR2chFBB9ObzZbT8tG_cpAhZJGhCJ2ymShCb54yHopAzSdQXT04KeXv6sMy8-bdLEkOt7q3SDn4pjD14AEVjmI5zli5-72d9EzBUBB_k6CxZ7pC1q3Vmq9g4OoJvZD47sKBbS9p0QBeB9xAcciQ5COd5Rm0t622iukorh59hwCigeoXuu4EBvNTNVZ53fkB9jUwgjwhxk51tXUC5zcjoymeX-T_4-LYxCNMQSrGqYDGOxLNqqKPKNtkkfKakZVLHqH5yBw=w654-h638-no-tmp.jpg

chickenflex

How does this compare to the SKX007/009 size wise?

Higs

It's a while since I had an SKX but one thing that worried me about the 'Turtle' was that it would wear too big on me because of the shape. In fact I think the shape (and quite low profile) actually help. It wears really nicely.

Bash64

It's a while since I had an SKX but one thing that worried me about the 'Turtle' was that it would wear too big on me because of the shape. In fact I think the shape (and quite low profile) actually help. It wears really nicely.

I have both. The Turtle is definitely bigger (about 2mm) - mine measures out at 44.3mm, but I agree with Higs in that the shape makes it very wearable. I would compare it to my Sumo and they both feel and look similar on my wrist.

Even one of the "small watch guys" at Hodinkee liked how it felt:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-new-seiko-prospex-200m-divers-srp775-and-srp777-two-dive-watches-made-like-quartz-never-happened

makikiguy

I bought the PADI version on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised on how well it sat on wrist, a lot better than my SKX007, and that dial though! So nice in the sun!

TigersFan

I have the SRP777 with an Strapcode oyster bracelet. It's a great combination!!

br8507

The biggest thing about the Turtles is how versatile they are... I have the rubber strap, NATO straps, and the bracelet... drilled Luis always make quick work of changing things up quickly