Sign in to follow this  
Rassilon

Question About Fliegers

Rassilon

Wondering what you guys think a Laco Friedrichshaffen Erbstuck will do as far as retaining value over time. Here's the background:

P1150414_zps0a8zltae.jpg

About a year ago I happened onto a Citizen eco-drive flieger in a local jewelry story. I needed a tougher watch for an upcoming trip, so it came home with me that day.

Fast forward 300+ days and I've stumbled onto Laco's fliegers. I don't even remember where I saw my first, but it was love at first sight. Those simple dials, no logo, gorgeous blue hands, and traditional pilot/roller straps. It screams "I'm an incredible watch" without having a giant Breitling, Omega, or Tag staring up at your from the dial.

15534978_172796393194759_458569436241068032_n_zpsbed7vobh.jpg

The one I'm specifically eyeing is the Friedrichshaffen Erbstuck, clocking in at ~$1600. The Erbstucks are an heirloom line designed by Laco itself to faithfully recreate their original WWII watches using modern materials and artificial aging/distressing.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a Friedrichshaffen, but it'll be my first entry into $1k+ wristwear. This feels a little like a niche piece. Do you guys think it will hold its value? I'm not looking for something that will appreciate. But if I decided to sell it after a couple of years, I'd like to get at least half my investment back. What do you guys think?

14099457_155090228264540_106639056_n_zpstfma3pmc.jpg

Any other insights on Laco, fliegers, or the erbstrucks specifically?

Edited by joshuahmanning

fatarms

Go to watchrecon and see what they are selling for there. You can possibly get it second hand for less and see what they are being resold at price-wise.

RUSH2112

Why worry about resale when you seem to have solved the hardest question of all: do I love the watch?

Rassilon

Go to watchrecon and see what they are selling for there. You can possibly get it second hand for less and see what they are being resold at price-wise.

That's a great idea, but they don't have any of the erbstrucks. It looks like the standard models hold their value well. But, again, this seems kind of like a niche model due to the artificial aging, so I'm not sure there's a big market for it.

Why worry about resale when you seem to have solved the hardest question of all: do I love the watch?

Well, now that /is/ a good point. lol

Left Coast Guy

Buying a watch for an "investment" is a lie people tell themselves in order to buy a watch they can't afford, nothing more. Its pure speculation which watches will go up and which will go down, and since that value proposition is complete extrinsic (i.e. not based on the cost of the parts/pieces or functional value) you're at the whim of the masses as to where people's affections will turn. Also see "sucker bet".

At the same point, that is a fucking beautiful watch -- so if you love it just buy it! Wear it, love it and don't give a fuck what it will be worth in 5 years, because its worth every penny on your wrist!

Or if you must be the turd that makes a buck from the trinket on your wrist, head to Homage Forum, buy a Laco case set from Athaya and build your own custom build like the one pictured below. Its a laco case and dial, sapphire crystal and caseback with the heart of a 40's era Hamilton 4992 -- the original mov't in the pocket watch issued to Army Air Corps pilots in WWII. It will cost you $400 and maybe 3 days of tinkering depending on your skill level. On Ebay, they trade for $3 - $4K.

19393045380_13a1b10db8_z.jpg18958447854_c05c08b973_z.jpg

Dendo

Just buy it - before the urge fliegs away.

fatarms

I took a quick look on Watchrecon for this model and used the "All Days" perameter at the top of the search options. Looks like there were a few in the $1100 to $1600 range, BUT, none of the threads were marked sold, so not sure if they moved at those price points.

Marcoman

If you like the look of that, why don't you save yourself a few bob and go for a Hamilton khaki pilot. I have one in quartz and it's very similar in style. Sure, it's branded but it's not as recognisable as the big players you mentioned. They come in automatic also and can be picked up for around €600 which is great value in my opinion....just putting it out there since it is so similar to the more expensive one you are interested in.just google Hamilton khaki pilot and you'll see for yourself....just a suggestions anyway...good luck!

micscave

I was going to buy one last year but couldn't justify the cost at the time as other stuff took priority. So I bought an Athaya vintage AV001R and had the Laco closed loop pilot strap custom made for the watch. Vary satisfied with it I am too and has scratched the itch for the time being but I am going to buy one in the future.

I say if you can afford it to get it, it looks brilliant and you don't see many around. Also if you're not going to flip it, I wouldn't, it's immaterial if it'll hold its value or not.

If you do buy one I'm sure you'll love it and post some photos when it turns up.

Here's my Athaya on custom strap.

C8C90489-C078-47E4-A4AB-9A5C85EEBA99_zpsvoa1bk1n.jpg

Rassilon

Well, you guys were FAR too agreeable about how beautiful the Laco is... so I pulled the trigger. You're right. Why just sit around pining for it if you can get and enjoy it without being irresponsible.

Thanks for the encouragement fellows. Will post wrist pics once it arrives!

Also, big shoutout to Page & Cooper in the UK. They were a complete delight to deal with!

BadPickle

I have an athaya case set build with a molnija 3608 under the bonnet

7287DF29-294A-464D-AD99-905BFD9F4C6A_zpszpwr9j3u.jpg

F43A4996-AF57-4F42-BB3B-B820A9D331F8_zpspuotfkcu.jpg

Rassilon

I have an athaya case set build with a molnija 3608 under the bonnet

7287DF29-294A-464D-AD99-905BFD9F4C6A_zpszpwr9j3u.jpg

F43A4996-AF57-4F42-BB3B-B820A9D331F8_zpspuotfkcu.jpg

Pickle, you're so freakin' knowledgeable. I've admired your posts on RWG for years. Until just now I didn't know Russia was ever known for producing movements of any significance at all.

I was going to buy one last year but couldn't justify the cost at the time as other stuff took priority. So I bought an Athaya vintage AV001R and had the Laco closed loop pilot strap custom made for the watch. Vary satisfied with it I am too and has scratched the itch for the time being but I am going to buy one in the future.

I say if you can afford it to get it, it looks brilliant and you don't see many around. Also if you're not going to flip it, I wouldn't, it's immaterial if it'll hold its value or not.

If you do buy one I'm sure you'll love it and post some photos when it turns up.

Here's my Athaya on custom strap.

C8C90489-C078-47E4-A4AB-9A5C85EEBA99_zpsvoa1bk1n.jpg

Mic, where the heck did you have that strap made? It's gorgeous... I mean the whole rig's gorgeous, but that strap takes it to the next level!

micscave

Jose Maria of C & B straps made it for me. I emailed him photos of the strap from the Laco site and 2 weeks later it was made.

A few more pics.

82032641-DAC1-46E2-9FA4-5690A38A349A_zpsfris3z6d.jpg

662693F2-C5C2-48A7-A1E8-DDB2F1325AB3_zpspw3abned.jpg

D8EEA52D-705E-4196-8695-A474E58E8F7E_zpsaleuonev.jpg

0E070287-101C-41E2-B6BE-05B292CFD434_zpsjqolmmah.jpg

elp
I have an athaya case set build with a molnija 3608 under the bonnet 7287DF29-294A-464D-AD99-905BFD9F4C6A_zpszpwr9j3u.jpg F43A4996-AF57-4F42-BB3B-B820A9D331F8_zpspuotfkcu.jpg

Lovely build!!