Sign in to follow this  
kevinisrad

How do you guys explain owning such 'expensive' luxury watches to others?

GenTLe

None will ask. 90% of the people out there know only Rolex (as a brand, not even their models); a few know also Patek or Tag or Vacheron... But in general no one will ever ask about your watch.

Thelittleprince

Simple, i just don't answer lol

tonyh7

I've only been asked once - was wearing a Panerai Bronzo which is a very striking watch. I did say it was a rep. On another occasion, I was with my wife while she talked to an estate agent at a new housing development in the Cotswolds. I had the distinct impression that the woman was assessing our net worth, and that she did notice the rep Cartier I was wearing. We got the full frontal sales pitch and extended tour so whatever it was it worked.

Marcoman

Relatively new to this game but i have a couple of strategies to avoid getting called out on it. Problem i have is that my reps are confined to the well known makes like breitling and omega. I have a pam too but the breitlings and omegas get most wrist time so they'd be recognizable as being pricey to most people with even a fleeting interest.

Firstly, i only rotate one of two of the reps within work so that people don't wonder why i have such a big collection of "expensive" watches. Secondly, i only really buy reps that i know i could buy the gen of if i was stupid with money and didn't have a F**k off mortgage and a family to support. So an omega PO wouldn't look that out of place on my wrist compared to say an AP within work for example. Lastly, on the rare occasions these days that i get to go out with a group of friends or work colleagues i would usually wear my gen aquaracer anyway so no risk of being quized.

I'd prefer not to be ever called out on it to be honest as whilst i would have no problem telling them it was a rep, i'd be concerned people wouldn't "get" the hobby like we do and instead be judgmental. Not that i really care that much what people think of me generally but if its friends or work mates, it can change people's opinion of you unfairly so best to avoid. I'm quite happy rotating my reps in my own time or when i'm with my family which is most of my free time outside of work anyway.....

Oregonmarcus

I have a two gens and a couple reps. Its really not an issue for me because no one asks and most people who know me know I could afford it so its not even a question asked.

Funny thing is I wear my reps wayyyyyyy more than gens. Why? Because I like to get drunk. When I get drunk I don't think about my wrist. When I don't think about my wrist I hit shit with my watches (accidentally). If I'm not drunk I am on my macbook and my clasps rub against the metal when typing. So why have gens? I don't know. Other then beauty, craftsmanship, etc. Some reps are so damn good its almost like there is no point. I do wear the gens sometimes in professional non-drinking environments, but shit, half of my work day ends with drinking so.....

Plus money can be much better spent in other areas of life. Family, savings, investments, etc. Shit, maybe I'm just getting old. So guess what? I am almost ready to part with the gens. The rep hobby is freaking awesome and so is this forum.

My buddy works at Intel and travels to China a bunch. He picked up a gold AP rep in China and wore it to a presentation to his VP. After the meeting the VP walked up to him and said, "Nice watch, did you get a raise I didn't know about?", smiled at him and walked away. Lol, he still doesn't know what he meant exactly.

Gotta go, have to continue drinking and hitting shit:)

Clinical Trial

I wear both reps and gens.

I avoid, where possible, to speak with the 'great unwashed', and have my minders to politely tell them to 'fuck off' if they try to speak with me.

Rokerite

A high end replica watch is not a fake it is a tribute to something that is aesthetically pleasing but beyond the price range of most working class people. I do not care if other people like my watches or regard them as fake or copies, it is what it is and I like it and what I buy with my own money is up to me!

Kleen™

If anybody would ever care, say whatever the fuck pleases you at the moment...however; should you choose to lie you'll forever be a lying cunt...;)

Del

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and i'm coming to the replica watch community after being heavily invested in other replica markets, mainly involving fashion replicas.

A big common concern on the fashion replica forums (I go on the one on reddit) is the fear of 'getting called out' or being exposed for wearing fake clothing.

Hello and welcome to our forum! :thumbsup2: I can virtually guarantee that you'll not have come across one like this before..... ;)

I think most the the previous comments should have answered your question about having your rep watch "called out" - 99% of people don't give a fuck about your watch, really. Those who do, perhaps colleagues with high disposable incomes (?), won't be able to tell by looking at it on your wrist anyway - hell, we can hardly tell without macro photos! :lol: If they are close friends then I tell them if they ask (they'd probably be amazed at the quality) but if they are not close friends then I'm unlikely to be even talking to them about my watch anyway.

Regarding your previous experience in the fashion rep world, I suspect (and I don't have any direct experience of it) that the fashion scene is more pretentious than the watch world and that fashion is discussed more generally in "real life", hence there may be more awkward conversations about your fake bag, jacket or sunglasses...! ;)

GMTmasterypastery

A very rude question for someone to ask. People who know me don't need to ask as they know full well how I do it - No holidays abroad for ten years, Japanese hatchback and trading up pre-owned at minimal loss even gain. A stranger who isn't bigger than me or particularly dangerous in appearance I'd probably tell to f off.

James.

Lol.

Who gives a fuck what some person you dont know thinks?

Lie. Tell the truth. None of it matters. Do what you want. Say what you want. No one cares.

GC

I tell everyone they are fake, but no one ever believes me (reverse psychology?). Come to think of it, no one ever asks. Maybe 3 times in 7 years, maybe.

Mr_B
I tell everyone they are fake, but no one ever believes me (reverse psychology?). Come to think of it, no one ever asks. Maybe 3 times in 7 years, maybe.

This for me too, if anyone actually notice I have a watch on...

GT86

Despite what many of you think, I'm sure there are plenty of you who own replica watches to tout them as genuine. Why else would you care about getting a Rolex Submariner vs an Invicta? Build quality of course is one thing, but my point is, brand recognition is a very desirable thing, and many of you i'm sure have come to this forum because you wanted 'that 9000 dollar watch' but couldn't justify actually spending that amount of money.

The topic is open for discussion, I am not bashing anybody who claims their reps are genuine, or vice versa. Curiosity, that's all.

I think you're coming at this from a different angle to the majority of hardened hobbyists on here. As someone whom admits to buying replica designer fashion gear you are clearly more about the 'facade'. I look at it more like this; 20+ years ago, watch enthusiasts would peruse magazines, and perhaps collect memorabilia and pictures connected to their favourite 'brand'. Now you can touch, feel, stare at, and wear a 95% accurate replica, and they look bloody nice!

But then again I used to be obsessed with Air-fix and model cars growing up....?

No offence but I don't quite relate to the replica designer clothing bit. Any expensive clothing I own is due to the quality of cut, fabric etc. The label isn't visible in most cases besides a Belstaff badge or some such here or there

After your first couple of reps this will probably make more sense...

Kleen™

Despite what many of you think, I'm sure there are plenty of you who own replica watches to tout them as genuine. Why else would you care about getting a Rolex Submariner vs an Invicta? Build quality of course is one thing, but my point is, brand recognition is a very desirable thing, and many of you i'm sure have come to this forum because you wanted 'that 9000 dollar watch' but couldn't justify actually spending that amount of money.

The topic is open for discussion, I am not bashing anybody who claims their reps are genuine, or vice versa. Curiosity, that's all.

I think you're coming at this from a different angle to the majority of hardened hobbyists on here. As someone whom admits to buying replica designer fashion gear you are clearly more about the 'facade'. I look at it more like this; 20+ years ago, watch enthusiasts would peruse magazines, and perhaps collect memorabilia and pictures connected to their favourite 'brand'. Now you can touch, feel, stare at, and wear a 95% accurate replica, and they look bloody nice!

But then again I used to be obsessed with Air-fix and model cars growing up....?

No offence but I don't quite relate to the replica designer clothing bit. Any expensive clothing I own is due to the quality of cut, fabric etc. The label isn't visible in most cases besides a Belstaff badge or some such here or there

After your first couple of reps this will probably make more sense...

Well said.

thepretender

if anyone compliments the watch i won't say anything. but if they ask to see it i'll come clean and say its a fake.

splke

anyone who cares enough to ask if I am wealthy enough to be able to own what I am wearing (police excepted) I probably don't want to know them anyway ! Oh and I don't give too fucks who knows whether my watches are snide or gen I where them cos I like them.

But as PBR put in the first reply why lie ???

gavmeister

Quick story, I helped a friend buy a couple reps a few years ago including a sub, Pam, breitling and a jaeger lecoultre. When his wife saw the JL she googled it and flipped her fucking mind wondering why he spent $30,000 on a watch. Even though they make decent money and could easily afford to buy it she still made a nice scene

That's because she was thinking about all the shoes she could have bought with the $30K!

1,000,000 %!!! Although the dynamic with my Mrs. now is whenever a dodgy looking box from China arrives she's wondering if there's a lady-watch in there for her. I think she's up to 5 reps of her own now!

I hope for each one you lovingly hand over, you have another three hidden in the bottom of the box!

A Noob view if we are to be honest. Have a look at the answers of those who have been at this hobby for a while. The only time I ever get asked about one of my watches is because I'm so passionate about this hobby I'll ask someone what they are wearing (if I don't recognize the watch) and they will politely feign interest in return!

A high end replica watch is not a fake it is a tribute to something that is aesthetically pleasing but beyond the price range of most working class people. I do not care if other people like my watches or regard them as fake or copies, it is what it is and I like it and what I buy with my own money is up to me!

Well said....

anfalas

People just don't ask, apart from "nice watch" of course, I wear pams and tudors mostly and civilians ain't heard of them.... if they did ask, I would tell them the truth "it's a fake" it's a bloody good one though :lol:

Why lie?

..........this 100%

ag69

Not many people ask and if they did, I tell them it's a rep. Why lie.

elp

I tell them I'm a rent boy.

SamsonAusKognito

People just don't ask, apart from "nice watch" of course, I wear pams and tudors mostly and civilians ain't heard of them.... if they did ask, I would tell them the truth "it's a fake" it's a bloody good one though :lol:

Why lie?

..........this 100%

Confirmed!

I've never had any deeper conversation with friends or strangers about my watches than this.

deju

I don't have a rep I couldn't afford as a gen at the moment :boxedin:

I can't justify any of the watches I own... I use my phone to tell the time.

RUSH2112

Why lie?

..........this 100%

Confirmed!

I've never had any deeper conversation with friends or strangers about my watches than this.

The other side of the coin is, IMO it is rude to ask this question to a stranger and you're under no obligation to tell the truth. I've only been asked once, by a coworker, and my response was "what do you think?" and I held it closer for her inspection.

SamsonAusKognito

Why lie?

..........this 100%

Confirmed!

The other side of the coin is, IMO it is rude to ask this question to a stranger and you're under no obligation to tell the truth. I've only pbeen asked once, by a coworker, and my response was "what do you think?" and I held it closer for her inspection.

If someone asked me out, I would react the same. Never been asked so far from others.

It's just the family I tell the truth ... keeps the notorious "money borrowers" away :lol: