Sign in to follow this  
NCRich

6204 Black Gilt Dial

NCRich

In my obsession to build all of these vintage Rolex I got one of these. It has the nicest dial of any vintage model I've seen. The gold hands and funky seconds hand just make it, especially when you brass the bezel. Pics:

VYYknDR.jpg?1

i1IwiF4.jpg?1

kio85ef.jpg?1

ZkR1oN6.jpg?1

ed3NLYk.jpg?1

lSUTLAR.jpg?1

JUF1rQT.jpg

ufWGlFE.jpg?1

• Like 1

Piccolo

Love the Lollipop seconds... very nice build (again) :)

Kleen™

Sweet.

BM284

That looks great rich - very 'black bay one' - the brassed bezel sets the face and hands off a treat ..... 10 out of 10 :D

Thelittleprince

Is it bad that i always watch m2m hoping i could get my hands on one of your masterpieces? Beautiful watch!!!

GC

Is this the very first submariner? The only model I know of that predated the 6204 was the sub-aqua that Limer built.

The gold gilt on this dial is really well done. Your aging process is only getting more refined. Bravo sir, always looking forward to your new builds.

NCRich

Thanks guys. Littleprince the wife says I need to get rid off some stuff, so keep your eyes pealed.

Yes I think it is the first submariner GC.

MAJ75

This piece has a real charm to it Rich, you have treated it to just the right amount of vintagisation...................

franzyldn

looking forward to M2M.... maybe a vintage GMT 1675... my holy graal :giggle:

zikzak

Looks amazing, NCRich! Loving all of the threads covering other vintage builds of yours..

I have one of these models in transit to me from Mary/TD. Could you point me towards a thread/post or care to explain a bit more detail about how one would 'brass the bezel' ?

Cheers!

fatarms

Looks amazing, NCRich! Loving all of the threads covering other vintage builds of yours..

I have one of these models in transit to me from Mary/TD. Could you point me towards a thread/post or care to explain a bit more detail about how one would 'brass the bezel' ?

Cheers!

You'd have to remove the bezel from the watch, remove the insert and then apply a heat source. I've used a small butane torch I got for cheap off ebay. Just be sure to be holding the bezel firmly with some small pliers or something. Be safe :) As the bezel heats up, it changes color from the stainless finish to a brassy look and it's permanent.

You can barely see it, but this is the only pic I have at the moment of a watch that I brassed the bezel on.

282qti.jpg

zikzak

Thanks!

That makes sense, I just found this from Rich in another thread of his ' and used a torch to brass the bezel.' :)

I'm slightly hesitant to begin meddling with the watch from the get-- but that brassing of the bezel really adds a needed patina to compliment such a great minimalist sub dial layout/coloring

RussP

Rich,

Lovely watch.

Mine says 'hello'. Maybe it could do with a brassed edged bezel too.

BTW, I believe the first sub was a Ref 6202.30736034290_d7af90b89f_b.jpg

NCRich

Rich,

Lovely watch.

Mine says 'hello'. Maybe it could do with a brassed edged bezel too.

BTW, I believe the first sub was a Ref 6202.30736034290_d7af90b89f_b.jpg

Yes the brassed bezel is essential, and I just can't stand that spaceship plexi they put on these. Absolutely the wrong look.

When you torch the bezel go slow, it is easy to get too dark. Stop a bit short of where you think it should be and it will carry over. If you screw up you can wire brush or sand it off and start over. To remove these bezel you need to remove the insert carefully with the edge of a razor blade and then tease out the spring holding the insert. NO FORCE IS NEEDED. If you force it you will likely damage it.

DTDOTB

Great purchase. Might even be inspiring me!