ShovelnTC

So what happens to all of our old Reps?

ShovelnTC

So cruizing through the M2M's its easy to find the latest Pam 111 or V7 Sub, plenty of AP's etc but not too many early versions being offered up so where are all of those early Reps.

When I stated here everyone was buying V1 Sub-C's, early generation Pams, BP 16610's etc but where are they now?

I have sold on my first purchase recently and still own 3 or four of my early purchases but most of my sales have been within a few months of buying them so are these older watches in the rubbish, pulled apart for parts, laying in the bottom of the drawer?

T0T0

I've got a few that I don't wear but are sitting in a box because they are too shitty to sell. I had considered posting them for free in m2m but really doubt anyone would want them. I figure I'll hang on to 'em for parts.

sogeha

I guess there are a number gathering dust in the bottom watch box in the pile. I have converted one rather shabby COMEX to a sterile dial and a couple more carried donor cards, but mostly they just drop out of rotation.

Sometimes I think it would be interesting to gather a small museum collection of the history of our hobby, with early versions of TC subs and a Noobmariner and so on.

NCRich

I have no crap watches. I did have a quartz DateJust from 1990 but I gave it to a dude.

Send me your tired, your crappy, your denigrated watches and I will make them whole.

Actually, don't. I got enough to work on. :lol:

sogeha

That's a relief. I don't think I could afford the postage.

Left Coast Guy

I recently tried to sell an old school Hulk Sub I got as my first rep, and got no interest at a reasonable price. There were a few lowball offers of course, but it was at one time a high-end rep.....a swiss 2824, top of the line 5 years ago......so didn't really feel it made sense to give it away. Its still a pretty nice looking watch to me, you know?

One of the analysts that works for me is heading off for business school this summer, figure it may be a nice gift for him.

shubam

Hey everyone,

I'm just starting getting into this hobby that you all share. I originally bought a few watches on Aliexpress (back when they had reps) and DHGate, but I've been less than impressed with the results. After getting burned a few times, I've started researching a bit more seriously. I've been lurking a lot here, RWI, and reddit to get an idea about the better quality reps. I think I want to start getting my feet wet a bit and may consider getting into modding at a later point. I hear that the narikaa regmariner is a good start, but while I'm saving up for a new one I was hoping to buy a cheaper one on the M2M sections so that I can get an eye for quality and maybe tinker around with it a bit before hitting up some of the TDs for the more expensive versions. I haven't been able to find the M2M section on this forum yet, but can any of you point me in the right direction? Or if anyone has one that isn't getting much wrist time in your box, I'd be interested in buying it from you. I'm not sure if you can do that outside of the M2M section, so let me know if I'm breaking any rules.

Thanks! I'm excited to be learning about this with you all.

I'm just getting into this recently. I've been lurking a lot here, RWI, and reddit to get an idea about the better quality reps.

pollux1

My uPO from '06 still works perfectly, albeit after being serviced, my Breitling is the same although my last PAM has the dreaded crown problem, an easy fix I'm sure, my 3717 needs a service next but I've enough other watches not to worry too much, the rest are all fine too. I must admit my gens really do live up to their reputation though, not withstanding the first three I've mentioned.

MetalMickey

My first reps fell apart. Literally, I had bits of bezel and bracelet all over the floor when my first semi decent sub failed (pre forum). Everything else has been moved on: mainly to non forum enthusiasts, which I suspect is how they leave 'our' circulation.

GenTLe
Hey everyone,

I'm just starting getting into this hobby that you all share. I originally bought a few watches on Aliexpress (back when they had reps) and DHGate, but I've been less than impressed with the results. After getting burned a few times, I've started researching a bit more seriously. I've been lurking a lot here, RWI, and reddit to get an idea about the better quality reps. I think I want to start getting my feet wet a bit and may consider getting into modding at a later point. I hear that the narikaa regmariner is a good start, but while I'm saving up for a new one I was hoping to buy a cheaper one on the M2M sections so that I can get an eye for quality and maybe tinker around with it a bit before hitting up some of the TDs for the more expensive versions. I haven't been able to find the M2M section on this forum yet, but can any of you point me in the right direction? Or if anyone has one that isn't getting much wrist time in your box, I'd be interested in buying it from you. I'm not sure if you can do that outside of the M2M section, so let me know if I'm breaking any rules.

I'm just getting into this recently. I've been lurking a lot here, RWI, and reddit to get an idea about the better quality reps.

What does this post has to do with the thread??

Please read what you got in mail when you subscribed here, the answers are there.

shubam

Yeah, I just finished reading it. Sorry to bother

sogeha

If you are looking for something cheaper tha Narikaa can provide I honestly don't think this hobby is going to work out for you.

Also as my friend above says, try reading a little.

Santaros
Hey everyone,

What does this post has to do with the thread??

Please read what you got in mail when you subscribed here, the answers are there.

haha you doin it wrooong, you have to be amazed how smart he is using all those insider words :D

Verve

I'm still using all of them ... 3 very old and 2 new. I will wear them until they are completely dead and no longer repairable .... or sell (unlikely).

deju

It's always an interesting thing product lifespan...

Reminds me of the film "yellow rolls Royce" follows the life of the car.

RUSH2112

I sold most of my early ones except a Pam I still have that works fine and a PO that I've had bracelet issues with but runs fine.

myaz

All my reps still work. Of course, having a large rotation minimizes wear. I'm inclined to toss a cheap rep when it bites the dust and hang on to a better one in the bottom of a drawer....for no good reason because it would still be there in a few years.

So thanks for bringing that up. Come to think of it, what I'll probably do is give it to any repair person on this board that can use it.

Along this line, cars, have you noticed how once you buy a certain model, you start to notice them quite a bit more on the roads, and a few years later, the numbers drop off like crazy but there's always this bloke that has a pristine one tucked away in his garage?

Dendo

If they still work I give them to non watch people - otherwise I use them for spare parts or give them to repairers. Got some old Rolexes for you NCRich ha ha.

RussP

I gift them out, the rest have the hallowed status of box queens.

trailboss99

I still have every rep I ever bought . . .

Genius

Of my first decent reps I had a porsche design 21j that literally exploded off my wrist into many pieces, a breitling Bentley where the strap failed it hit the floor hard and goosed the movement, and a two tone daytona the got flipped on m2m then I saw it up for sale a few times since crossing the Atlantic a couple of times in the process

Kleen™
I recently tried to sell an old school Hulk Sub I got as my first rep, and got no interest at a reasonable price. There were a few lowball offers of course, but it was at one time a high-end rep.....a swiss 2824, top of the line 5 years ago......so didn't really feel it made sense to give it away. Its still a pretty nice looking watch to me, you know?

One of the analysts that works for me is heading off for business school this summer, figure it may be a nice gift for him.

You've heard the saying "buy the seller before buying the watch"....other people might have heard that saying as well...;)

elp

I still have every rep I ever bought . . .

Is there a Trailie's collection thread somewhere in the hallowed halls of the interwebz?

madaboutyou

I gave some for my family members, but I still have most of all. :)

Left Coast Guy

You've heard the saying "buy the seller before buying the watch"....other people might have heard that saying as well... ;)

Really bud? My political comments in the off-topic forum have offended you that much that you'd suggest I'm a bad seller? That seems a soft-minded take....and this hardly seems the place for a pot shot.

Hopefully folks will learn something about your character with this unprovoked attack....