Sign in to follow this  
Thelittleprince

Should i go gen on this one? (IT WENT UP IN VALUE)

Cleebeauregard

While it is a great looking watch (IMO) and a solid homage to what is arguably the most desirable Omega in existence, I personally believe that the color choice was a mistake. Sure, it identifies the watch as a very specific, modern, "limited edition" Speedmaster, but like the Submariner, one of the most revered traits is the "traditional" design characteristics that trace their lineage back to the original. Blue is "pretty"' but I think the watch would have been more desirable and more likely to increase in value if it was black instead. Just an opinion of course.

Monkey_Business

I don't think you'll experience a major price drop on it, but don't expect to make any money when selling it :)

GC

It won't appreciate. It will not hold its value as well as a similarly priced Rolex.

myaz

A watch that is currently in production can have a spike in demand and increase in value....for instance, it is spotted on the wrist of a popular person engaging in a trending activity that some want to experience vicariously. The problem is that Omega can simply produce more to increase their profits. Market penetration trumps concerns over resale value associated with overproduction.

Ergo, as pointed above, if appreciation (or minimizing devaluation) is the end game, then you pick a "low" production discontinued model (as opposed to current model) that people are likely to want to collect. Certainly, you can find someone that bought _______(insert item here) and sold it a few years later at a profit but odds are not in your favor.

In general, watches and consumer goods depreciate, the more expensive it is to begin with, the more money you lose when selling: i,e, a 10% loss when selling a $1,000 watch is more money than 10% of a $100,000 watch. Buy what you like, what you will eventually resell for won't change your retirement outlook.

Monkey_Business

So, you're going GEN then? :)

Thelittleprince
So, you're going GEN then? :)

Not sure yet! Im really thinking about whats the right thing to do! Everybody gave me very valid and amazing points!

What makes you say that tho? :P

Monkey_Business

I follow M2M's, as well as everyone else :)

dilip

But if you are going gen a speedy is the right way to go as they are seldom well-repped

madaboutyou

Personally I wouldn't considering going gen for investment purposes. If you like it buy it :)

Agree. You should buy it if you want to have a gen watch, if you want to invest - choose something else. :)

Thelittleprince

And It went up in value.. Pre owned is touching the 8 grand mark now!

Genius

For how long though before demand dies and it's back below new price?

GoW13

I call BS. Just did a quick search on chrono24 and not a single CK2998 was over 7000 USD!! Me thinks, you are trying to convince yourself, that it's the right thing to do to spend that much money on that watch ;)

OR maybe I was just searching for the wrong model no^^

Thelittleprince

Thing is its such a gorgeous peice i assume later on it will be a classic

But hey what do i know

I call BS. Just did a quick search on chrono24 and not a single CK2998 was over 7000 USD!! Me thinks, you are trying to convince yourself, that it's the right thing to do to spend that much money on that watch ;)

OR maybe I was just searching for the wrong model no^^

It was 4000 to 5 max when i started this thread

Forgot to mention i already spent half the budget i could have spent on it so no im not convncing myself! Not gonna lie i genuinely love this one

Thelittleprince

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/252787070074

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182473488697

Even 8000 so not Bs just observation ;)

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/381953233689

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/162407699466

Yes theres a couple at mid 5000 but they will go up too i assume

GoW13

Do you prefer buying a used one from the bay or a new one at a much lower price from a trusted seller over at chrono24?

Of course, there will be always people trying to sell a rare piece at a ridiculous price (happens even with reps ;) ). For me, that is no indicator that the watch actually has gone up that much in value. Just check ebay for Subs. There are some at a ridiculous price as well.

And the BS was not meant to offend you :)

Genius

Thing is its such a gorgeous peice i assume later on it will be a classic

But hey what do i know

I have to admit it is a really great looking watch..... But as a watch to wear I wouldn't swap it for my bog standard speedy pro, it might be rarer and possibly hold its value better but 9 tines out of 10 I'd pick a plain old speedy over this if I had both in my watchbox