Sign in to follow this  
kodii

Watchmaking course

kodii

Hello guys, I'm looking for a very good online watchmaking course, does any one knows a good one that can suggest.

Thanks

greg_r

Doesn't belong in Nick's feedback section. Moved.

10:10 Watch Repair

Try Timezone for the basics.

If you want to learn more, download some public domain course like Chicago Institute of Watchmaking.

GenTLe

Try Timezone for the basics.

If you want to learn more, download some public domain course like Chicago Institute of Watchmaking.

That's a good one, yes.

A question for you: what do you do if you have, for instance, a movement which requires a new balance staff?

I'm fixing now an old Excelsior Park cronometer with a JB1 caliber like this:

c1920-gallet-excelsior-park-tachymeter-chronometer-pocket-01_02.jpg

My friend dropped it and the upper pivot of the balance staff snapped. Luckily this movement has an hidden compartment with some spare parts inside (left of the balance in the picture) and among them there's a new one.

The object has a sentimental value because it came from his mother (passed away years ago) and I'm not going to try this complex and delicate operation. Another friend, who's a professional watch tech from more than 10 years and official Rolex certified, told me to go to his supplier for this task, as he also does because he doesn't have the needed punchers.

I'll follow his suggestion, but I'd like to know if this kind of task is something "normal" for a watch tech or not, as I've seen videos of the procedure and it's something that seems pretty hard to do well (

), other than requiring very expensive tools...

Thanks, Alex

lrnz

Well, changing the balance staff can be very tricky. You have to know the procedure, you have to have the tools, know what to do if something does not go 100% right, like you don't install the new staff 100% straight. I can tell you, getting the hairspring out of the balance assembly can be very tricky. If you manage to bend it, a beginner wouldnt be able to fix it. Changing the balance staff, for a watch smith, it is not a tough operation, and it is quite normal to do it.

Edited by LorenzoM

GenTLe

Grazie (thanks) Lorenzo, yes, I'll not even try that, and I think not many watch technician would easily venture with that task, unless they had opportunity to train themselves a lot with trash movements before :)

Pretty easy to get the hairspring free from the balance. Loosen the stud with the balance in place then remove the cock.

The staff is friction fit: you remove the hairspring and roller (lots of techniques to do this) screwdrivers work well for me, but are frowned on by others. A roller remover is not very expensive, but I don't like them because it's hard to see what you're working on.

You place the balance in a staking set on a stump, drive the staff out, then fit a new one. Pretty hard not to get it straight by design. Replace roller (you already noted the jewel position...) re install. You will likely find scratches on the underside of the balance to orient the roller, that have been left there by previous watchmakers. Prior to shock protection staffing a watch was a pretty common procedure. It's not nearly as hard as you might think, but you need the correct tools.

I'm sure there's plenty of videos on youtube.

GenTLe

Thanks 10:10, not going to try this out on this watch (not mine and hard if not impossible to find spares), but some day... :)

kodii

thanks a lot guys for the advice

Thanks 10:10, not going to try this out on this watch (not mine and hard if not impossible to find spares), but some day... :)

If you can't make a balance staff you can order them from www.balancestaffs.com