Sign in to follow this  
Bbgud

Rolex submariner...go REP or GEN ??

Bbgud

Yes...I know there are alot of threats here and yes I have searched them, but..I want your opinion...should I go GEN on a Submariner or will V7 noob do the trick ?

wowsasb

Rep and use the spare cash for a more interesting GEN. The v7 is super good but even the regmariner is superb, especially for £100

Edited by wowsasb

BadPickle

Get the rep and wear everyday for 2 weeks, then go to the AD and road test the gen of the exact same model. My guess is the decision will be made as soon as you put the gen on your wrist, you'll either be bowled over with the quality and feel compared to the rep or you'll be like "meh" don't know what all the fuss is about ! :lol:

The rep will sell on here in seconds without too much loss of $$$

Keep us posted :D

chuckbass

^^ pickledbeetroot above got it spot on - my primary incentive for a rep purchase is (usually) to test if I want the gen.. on the high-end, common reps like a sub, usually the answer is that the gen just isn't worth the $$...

deju
Get the rep and wear everyday for 2 weeks, then go to the AD and road test the gen of the exact same model. My guess is the decision will be made as soon as you put the gen on your wrist, you'll either be bowled over with the quality and feel compared to the rep or you'll be like "meh" don't know what all the fuss is about ! :lol:

^^^this is sound advice.

We get caught up in the smallest of flaws, I fell for the PAM177 went from standard version to modded version to fully tricked out Marlin

Then bought the gen, few months later I felt really flat. All those flaws I thought needed fixed only I could spot, feels totally pointless now.

My favourite gens are those without decent reps now.

Mr_B

I'd say rep for a sub ceramic the v6s/7 is pretty damn close unless you looking at precious metal varieties

dilip

I've had the gen 16610 for a couple of years and bought the 116610 two years ago. Have handled a few rep subs with various qualities through out the years. My opinion is that its a great gen with a good five year warranty policy that just a sits right on the wrist. The bezel insert won't fade and the clasp on the deployant is rock solid. The 116610 has been my daily beater with a rough couple of years on its back and now looses one second per day and the 904 steel still looks amazing. None of the platinum has disappeared and the white gold hands alone just makes this a joy to wear. I say go for it

Rokerite

Top end reps are that close now that unless (in the case of a submariner) you are actually going to dive to 1000ft below water you are wasting your money!

964boy

^^^^

I must have wasted a fair few grand then and never been in the water :D

Rokerite

Lol, the real thing is obviously better but is it 50 times better? Never handled a gen to be fair.

BM284

^^ this is very sound advice! I'll be keeping an eye out to see what road you go down :D

Duzza

The reps are great but there's nothing like the real thing. The steel is tougher, the dial catches the light better. Is it worth the extra money? Only you can decide that.

Buy the rep, wear it then go try on the genuine article.

2hot2trot

The reps are great but there's nothing like the real thing. The steel is tougher, the dial catches the light better. Is it worth the extra money? Only you can decide that.

+1

jarrodholley

great advice!

Bbgud

Thanks guys, some great advice here and this is why I posted the thread, maybe I should throw out few watches and start out with Omega Speedmaster, if that´s not most people grail watch I don´t know what is

Genius
Thanks guys, some great advice here and this is why I posted the thread, maybe I should throw out few watches and start out with Omega Speedmaster, if that´s not most people grail watch I don´t know what is

As a starter gen I applaud your idea it's what I bought! It's one watch where the reps all fall short in one way or another and the gen isn't silly money

BlueDog

The everlasting debate. Personal choice.

Bbgud

As a starter gen I applaud your idea it's what I bought! It's one watch where the reps all fall short in one way or another and the gen isn't silly money

What version did you get ?

Genius

Recentish gen version

IthmLCg.jpg

Bbgud

Recentish gen version

IthmLCg.jpg

Looking good ! :)

T0T0

I've always wanted a vintage tt datejust on jubilee. Purchased several reps and enjoyed them very much until I got the gen, now I never even look at the reps, they just don't compare.

Buy the rep first and see if that scratches your itch. If not, get the gen if you can afford it after the bills are paid and family is fed.

Genius
I've always wanted a vintage tt datejust on jubilee. Purchased several reps and enjoyed them very much until I got the gen, now I never even look at the reps, they just don't compare.

Buy the rep first and see if that scratches your itch. If not, get the gen if you can afford it after the bills are paid and family is fed.

Before I bought the speedy I seriously considered putting the money to a gen datejust instead but in the end got lucky on a franken datejust shortly after so got the best of both!

1wv4soJ.jpg

T0T0

Lovely choice, almost exactly the same as mine:

IMG_0444.jpg

I know what Bbgud is feeling though. I have been debating the same thing for a while now also. I purchased a no date regmariner a few weeks ago, just waiting for it's arrival.

Bbgud

Lovely choice, almost exactly the same as mine:

IMG_0444.jpg

I know what Bbgud is feeling though. I have been debating the same thing for a while now also. I purchased a no date regmariner a few weeks ago, just waiting for it's arrival.

The demon on my shoulder just can´t shut up :)

deju

This thread can be closed, genius nailed it buy the speedy!

You'll have no regrets it's a proper grail that will be love at first wrist time