Sign in to follow this  
Snook

Reg vs noob movement sweep, is it that noticeable?

Snook

Is the movement sweep from say, a cheaper version of a sub, like a reg vs a newer noob that noticeable? I'm aware of the quality differences, just interested in opinions on the movement.

rawbaws

Yes. Two ticks per second noticeable.

In all honesty how good your eyesight is comes into play. For me I can spot 21600 v 28800 very easily. For others not so much.

JSJ

Yes, it's noticeable once you are sensitised to it and like rawbaws says, as long as you can see it.

To the average punter it's totally unknown.

By the way, don't forget the some of the low beat movements are susceptible to the stutter which is definitely noticeable.

SteveA

On someone's else's wrist it is difficult,on your own you keep looking until you can tell !

The stutter mentioned I believe is usually associated with miyota movement.

It also depends on the actual watch as some appear to run smoother than others even though they are the same movement.

I have a 5 yr old 21j DSSD which runs like a dream ,very smooth,looks just like a high beat.

Regmariner great bang for buck but don't expect 1:1 ,Noob also good value but don't expect 1:1,BK probs the best out there but don't expect 1:1- what an imprecise ,frustrating hobby this is.

Genius

I honestly think its really noticeable its over 30% more ticks so a fair bit smoother..... But

There are quite a few times there has been a watch on m2m and the seller claims not to know if its high beat or not so either a lot of people can't tell or they just think they'll get a higher price if they claim not to know

splke

I cannot tell but I am old and a little blind so depends I cant even tell when I wear my glasses ... that said I don't just stare at the thing it's not a pair of tits :)

:boobies3:

Snook

Thanks for the comments, I looked at a bunch of vids and it does look different. I do have a couple of watches on the way, both 21j, hoping the sweep without the studder.

deju

Sigh...Seriously?!

I have a Gen 16570 with a 3185 movement. I have reps with a smoother tick.

Worrying about this far too much IMHO

texascat

It is noticeable. Especially on a watch such as the Submariner where the movement of the second hand is a well known feature of the watch.

There are options that leave little to no cost difference so I see no reason to buy a low beat Sub.

NCRich

All Rolex are fakes. Everyone just assumes that. I'd not worry about it.

GenTLe

This way noticeable:

Or, if you prefer them in blue:

Khronos

Regmariner was my first low beat rep and yes, I did notice it.

But the build quality is insane for the money and now they've even updated the bezel numbers to platinum. Can't beat that IMHO.

AJB2

I'm anxiously waiting for my "Hulk" to arrive from Reg...Then I'll buy a Batman, then a Deepsea, then a....

Daywatch

Sometimes I care, sometimes I don´t. To get "mesmerized" by the smoothness of the seconds hand gliding ahead You need the 28.800 bph or more.

To just check the time at a glance the 21.600 bph is enough, just as any Seiko 5 Sports is. Quartz-tickers - those may be irritating, the 21j does not

irritate, it doesn´t fascinate either.

phone

The price makes the 21600 very worth it to me.

poiuy

Regmariner was my first low beat rep and yes, I did notice it.

But the build quality is insane for the money and now they've even updated the bezel numbers to platinum. Can't beat that IMHO.

Same, its my first rep, and although the quality is amazing for the price, the movement just kills it for me :(

Need something with a high beat movement.

AJB2

Really pleased with my Regmariner Hulk...I wear it constantly. It keeps perfect time & really, I don't have time to sit & stare at the hand sweep.

I've bought a couple of high end, high beat watches for "dress" occasions & yes, the second hand is smoother However, one has already gone back for repair!!

I couldn't justify spending another $350 more for my daily beater

A good, solid, reliable DG2813 is more important to me than a unreliable, dubious, 28,000 beater.

narikaa

Tis all but mental masturbation

SteveA

21j on the wrist is fine,close up ie if you take it off and hand it to someone it's a big tell but hey value for money !

tonyh7

It's only noticeable if you are looking for it. Nobody but you is looking. If you are that worried about it you should just buy hi beat movements. If you are that worried about you are probably suffering from OCD and should seek help. It's also worth remembering that some great gens have low beat movements.

A good, solid, reliable DG2813 is more important to me than a unreliable, dubious, 28,000 beater.

What is the current general consensus about the 2813 low beat regarding reliability?

The 2824 and 2836 are always recommended but what's the failure rate or expected lifespan of a 2813? If it works well Iong-term (e.g. 3 years) I would get more of those

Foxindebox

What is the current general consensus about the 2813 low beat regarding reliability?

The 2824 and 2836 are always recommended but what's the failure rate or expected lifespan of a 2813? If it works well Iong-term (e.g. 3 years) I would get more of those

I've had loads and still got a few. I had an issue with only one of these, and I swapped the movement for a brand new one for £25...

I've had loads and still got a few. I had an issue with only one of these, and I swapped the movement for a brand new one for £25...

Thanks for the info! Well then I might get more of the cheaper reps. I mean it doesn't make sense to pay 400+ for a rep with zero warranty when you can get a swiss made swiss movement homage for that price i.e. steinhart or seiko/tissot etc.

BTW which other low priced reps are recommendable besides the pams and regmariner?

AJB2

The rotar is a little noisy on them but do you hold it up to your ear to listen...I don't. The great thing about them is they're reliable, strong & if they do happen to break you can get a replacement movement for about £30...Job done.

That's my opinion anyway...

Edited by AJB2

Theduke.williams

Here's a thought - how about a Rolex rep with an Acutron 2 quartz movement in it, super smooth sweep and ridiculous accuracy.