Sealdoggy

Let's see your military/tactical dive watches

Buddhabar
20170406_085632_zpswxukdrcs.jpg

RepGuy

0406171238_zpsgi2wr5je.jpg

0406171238a_zpsjgomfp4t.jpg

Sealdoggy

Love these dive watches just something about a nice dive watch I can't resist, just picked up a Pkanet Ocean and a Super Ocean 2, going to pick up a JLC Navy SEAL waiting for one to come up in the M2M CONUS

griffon22

no "Diver" collection would be complete without "the Boss"

DSC_0460_zps1cchsvyh.jpg

Diver Dave
Rolex 1665, "Beat to Shit". mw3PeGO.jpg

Bought in 1979, for $1200

Worn nearly every day of my life since. That's 38 years worth.

Worn at 1000 feet as a commercial diver, and on many many other diving expeditions.

Worn on a 125 foot wooden trawler for two crossings to and from Antarctica from South America, and for two years in the Antarctic.

Worn at the South Geographic Pole.

Worn for my entire flying career, including flying fighters at Mach-2.

Worn on 7 Continents, and never missed a beat.

One watch for a lifetime.....

Inspiring Rolex story! Have you ever counted how much the service of this watch costed to you?

Yeah...fingers and toes....

Three crystals at about $100/each installed.

One new bezel, as the original popped off and was lost. And then a year later I found it.... so I have a spare. That was about $150 for a bezel.

Three new bezel inserts. Figure $50/each or so.

One "sort of an overhaul" for about $300. I didn't have the movement serviced, as it was keeping very good time, but I had the case re-gasketed with new crown tube seals etc during a crystal change. The guy had a hard time getting it waterproof (see next overhaul about that)

One REAL overhaul, after the thing both began to run poorly and the power reserve lowered to about 6 hours. Turned out to be a broken mainspring. The watchmaker found that the tube and crown were corroded from constant exposure to salt water and he couldn't get it to pass a waterproofing test, so he changed both to the new style, as well as a new mainspring, one new gear, all new seals, and a complete stripdown overhaul. Thinking about this, it was the first time the movement had been torn down since I got the watch. That was a few months ago. Cost about $900 complete.

The pin for the flip-lock wore the holes it goes thru on the bracelet oversized so you could pull the flip-lock piece off the end of the pin with your fingers, and the fix was to make two small washers to on on either end of a new pin, and to install and rivet a new pin on. That was $50

So... add it up and that's 38 years of constant use, and the watch is now completely overhauled and ready for another 38 years of constant use.

Seems a bargain when you think about it.

I wrote a long post about it and a gold GMT that I sometimes wear entitled "a sea story of two gens and a rep" that's in the general forum from a few weeks ago. Take a look if you are so inclined.

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

Genius

Worn at 1000 feet as a commercial diver, and on many many other diving expeditions.

Worn on a 125 foot wooden trawler for two crossings to and from Antarctica from South America, and for two years in the Antarctic.

Inspiring Rolex story! Have you ever counted how much the service of this watch costed to you?

One new bezel, as the original popped off and was lost. And then a year later I found it.... so I have a spare. That was about $150 for a bezel.

One "sort of an overhaul" for about $300. I didn't have the movement serviced, as it was keeping very good time, but I had the case re-gasketed with new crown tube seals etc during a crystal change. The guy had a hard time getting it waterproof (see next overhaul about that)

One REAL overhaul, after the thing both began to run poorly and the power reserve lowered to about 6 hours. Turned out to be a broken mainspring. The watchmaker found that the tube and crown were corroded from constant exposure to salt water and he couldn't get it to pass a waterproofing test, so he changed both to the new style, as well as a new mainspring, one new gear, all new seals, and a complete stripdown overhaul. Thinking about this, it was the first time the movement had been torn down since I got the watch. That was a few months ago. Cost about $900 complete.

The pin for the flip-lock wore the holes it goes thru on the bracelet oversized, and the fix was to make two small washers to on on either end of a new pin, and to install and rivet a new pin on. That was $50

So... add it up and that's 38 years of constant use, and the watch is now completely overhauled and ready for another 38 years of constant use.

Seems a bargain.

Dave

Not quite Triggers' broom but getting there! Good to see a well used but well maintained example versus the proper vintage looking watches of that age

Diver Dave

The pin for the flip-lock wore the holes it goes thru on the bracelet oversized, and the fix was to make two small washers to on on either end of a new pin, and to install and rivet a new pin on. That was $50

Seems a bargain.

Dave

Not quite Triggers' broom but getting there! Good to see a well used but well maintained example versus the proper vintage looking watches of that age

Forgot that I had new hands put on this last overhaul, as the lume was useless and I do like to check time at night (sleeping across many time zones as a pilot and never knowing how many more hours of sleep are to be had. New hands do glow well. Dial is original and glows, albeit less brightly.

I have all of the old parts removed, but as a user I just considered it a working tool, to be renewed and overhauled as required and continued to be used in service. I never attempted to "preserve" it, and as a result it's one of the better traveled watches around. Be interesting to have an appraisal done, considering not only it's present condition, but it's documented history.

Dave

raptor1

The pin for the flip-lock wore the holes it goes thru on the bracelet oversized so you could pull the flip-lock piece off the end of the pin with your fingers, and the fix was to make two small washers to on on either end of a new pin, and to install and rivet a new pin on. That was $50

Seems a bargain when you think about it.

I wrote a long post about it and a gold GMT that I sometimes wear entitled "a sea story of two gens and a rep" that's in the general forum from a few weeks ago. Take a look if you are so inclined.

Dave

I am really surprised that it didn't require movement service!

Diver Dave

I am really surprised that it didn't require movement service!

I just ran it until it misbehaved, and sent it in. That took 40 years (it was 2 years old when I bought it). And when overhauled, the only thing the actual movement needed was one gear due to a worn pinion, lube, and a new mainspring.

That's what you are paying for when you buy a Gen.That's pretty amazing. And shows CLEARLY what the quality level of a Gen is.

The rest of the work was just basic stuff:

1: The case work was to replace the tube and crown, and all seals.

2: The cosmetic work was to replace the hands and insert.

3: The mechanical work was to re-pin the flip lock on the bracelet.

And now... I'll be long dead before it needs more.

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

Buddhabar
2017-05-09_09.40.13_zpsgqvg2obo.jpg

Buddhabar
20170521_112829_zpsi6ra1ad5.jpg

Sealdoggy

Some good looking watches, thanks for sharing, why stop now keep them coming

Nikosaldente
IMG_20170519_180224_zpszylhwhlc.jpg

Slink73

That Sir, deserves an applause!

giphy.gif

The question is does he still have the papers & box...? :lmao:

I love my reps but I can't see a single one of them surviving a life like that!

Buddhabar

2017-05-22_08.34.09_zpsgqslgawe.jpg

2017-05-22_14.27.31_zpszhtsgmny.jpg

Buddhabar
2015-11-01_09.27.40_zpsnlw7vpoz.jpg

dave47

Does this count? Gen Deep Blue diver with tritium markers.

0217171336_zpsoycazssg.jpg

0217171338_zpsrshxhut6.jpg

Your Deep Blue is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and is on my "Need to get this" list. Definitely a diver!! THANKS for the show, RG!

dave

Buddhabar
20170605_183313_zpsoidqvsub.jpg

Buddhabar
IMG_0115_zpsz4g1zu7t.jpg

mattheis

Yachty. Dont let em ever tell you you're not a tool watch!

(Just a really really good looking one.)

I3CCHpJ.png

Edited by mattheis

Buddhabar
2017-06-08_08.20.18_zpso8voqwvk.jpg

Buddhabar
2017-06-13_11.08.01_zpsedtfnggp.jpg

Buddhabar
IMG_20170626_080808_zpsjwwtrz0o.jpg

Buddhabar
IMG_20170712_153525.jpg