NCRich

Cartel 1675 Mod - step 3, case and assembly

NCRich

So I went ahead and finished it. Let's do the case. Drill press first with 1.3mm bits. Use cutting fluid and good bits, 700 rpm or thereabouts.

0Z0k3P4.jpg

Holes done.

lPPMLOR.jpg

Work on the CGs. You can find an infinite number of different gen CGs on the web. Makes you wonder what they actually look like in the wild. So do what you like. These need to be thinner and a bit more sloped.

gaNkjQD.jpg

with this

HILxfXP.jpg

and these

DK4GazT.jpg

OK, like this rough shape better.

ntZ4NzB.jpg

So I sand this with 220, the 500, then wet sand with 1200. Finally I polish with this.

AdghElm.jpg

OK so now lets go to assembly

0GU9X3Y.jpg

If you are reusing the original stuff, then just carefully reassemble it. Don't mangle the plastic gasket.

I'm using a Clark bezel assembly, insert and plexi. That runs about $100. You may have to sand the plexi a bit to make this fit. Sometimes I do, sometimes not.

Put the tube back in with loctite blue.

g4pVXkq.jpg

put the plexi on, retaining ring on.

HBvW9Wi.jpg

Press it on

dJF74tZ.jpg

After you have the retaining ring on, you can put the tension spring on and snap on the bezel.

Movement onto movement ring, then flip over into case.

TITNawc.jpg

4j3FQL3.jpg

Put the stem in. You will have to depress the stem release button to put the stem in. Put the movement holders and screws back in. Use silicon grease on the gasket and screw the caseback on.

74b0Psy.jpg

OK we got a watch.

Tx1jThR.jpg

Insert won't snap in, I use double sided tape to put it on. Surprisingly the Clark insert WILL snap into the cartel bezel assembly, no tape required.

vFfA1Gk.jpg

You will have to mod the bracelet to fit. You can use a dremel with burr bits to ream it out to fit the new 2mm spring bars.

Sooooo.........

Xh97ZXr.jpg

0C6ShZY.jpg

z9zrPrY.jpg

4hsEXCs.jpg

A few pics with an unaltered 1675. You can see the differences in the case and CGs.

JQq0X0I.jpg

DzEVjJ6.jpg?1

BBRqtqg.jpg

2ln5qgp.jpg

XY6sF7d.jpg

And thats it. Let me know if I left anything out!

Genius

That is absolutely awesome Rich! Bloody well done

Frazzle

Good work Rich! I'm lucky to have a 1675 that was modded by member Odysseys (can't remember right spelling), it was his own watch as he wasn't a modder. It's a great watch with a beautifully aged dial and bezel, with all the Clarke upgrades you've listed. The only thing I've added is a GMT flat case back as it came with the incorrect polished dome caseback. Robin, the previous owner sold it to me with a gen USA, heavily worn jubilee bracelet, which just adds character. The only thing it really needs to finish it off is the lugs drilled. Just need to see if I can persuade Rolie to do it for me.

7E526A72-5DF2-4B32-B2B3-027EE6C71B5B_3.jpg

Odyseus

It's still going then :) I think I fitted the low beat Swiss movement and fixed the GMT hand (you are supposed to use the Bezel to set the time zone).

Bloody good job though NCR! - I think this should be a mod stickies :)

MAJ75

Rich, I have thoroughly enjoyed these threads. For me & I'm sure many others it gives a real insight into doing modifications that really lift the pieces worked on away from the ordinary.

Over the longer term I am hoping to get involved in this world but whilst time, work & family commitments provide a barrier I will just marvel at your skills & keep it as inspiration for the future when something might give.................

Frazzle
It's still going then :) I think I fitted the low beat Swiss movement and fixed the GMT hand (you are supposed to use the Bezel to set the time zone).

Bloody good job though NCR! - I think this should be a mod stickies :)

It certainly is sir! And it's one of my prized watches! The PCG's are wonderfully done and the dial is just spot on! I wish I was capable of this level of work, you and Rich have shown to be of the same ilk as the famed Rolex Addict ;)

GC

Stunning work on one of the most difficult models to get right.

The Blueberry insert, small GMT hand, jubilee bracelet, drilled lugs, clark's bezel assembly/plexi and then re-luming a dial basically freehand...

I mean honestly, it must have been difficult to send her off.

I'll let you know when she arrives ;)

Martijn85

Good job well done my friend, careful now, do you have a certificate?

Rower

Incredible skills! I can't thank you enough for doing this post. This is the kind of thing that makes really enjoy this hobby!

Thank you!

BM284

That looks amazing - well done indeed sir, a great 3 part read! :thumbsup:

Mr_B

Looking forward to getting started, need a couple of tools and I'm good to go. I'm sure Il be visiting these threads a lot in the next couple of months! 

:thumbsup2:

Logixa

Ah crap @NCRichI just noticed that there is something hugely wrong with the watch mate.....

It's not on MY wrist :animal:

Good job mate! Is that a dg2813 movement? 

NCRich
25 minutes ago, Logixa said:

Ah crap @NCRichI just noticed that there is something hugely wrong with the watch mate.....

It's not on MY wrist :animal:

Good job mate! Is that a dg2813 movement? 

No it is a 3804B movement.  It is a low beat GMT.