fatarms

Question about date wheel alignment

fatarms

I bought a 1680 SR a while back and it stopped after a week or so. Not really all that pissed off, it was from Marvellous's sale, so I was only out $100 or so. Put it on the back burner after trying to mess with the movement a bit, couldn't fix it.

So I still have all the pieces and parts from the watch. I ordered a new DG2813 and it should be here sometime between next week and three months from now. Who knows with Chinese shipping.

Anyways... my questions are these.. I was able to pull the date wheel overlay from the original movement, wasn't all that hard to remove.

1. what fixative do you use to put the datewheel overlay on the new movement? It was almost like it was held on by post-it glue on the original, very little adhesiveness.

2. and more importantly, what's the process for trying to get the dates to line up? I know centering is what people bitch about, but I'd imagine that the original date wheel would be pretty centered and all I have to do is get the wheel overlay to lay directly on the datewheel itself. My concern is about the alignment of the "top to bottom alignment" if that makes sense. How do you get the date wheel so that it's centered top to bottom and make sure that half of one date and half of the other date aren't showing in the window? I hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

flyr

Found this by KBH over at RWI.(not for a DG2813 but it might help)

"Here's my directions for installing DWO's. First, this really mostly applies to a 2836-2. When I use a 2824-2 I usually swap out the date wheel to one from a 2834 or 2836 since it raises the overlay to where it won't rub on the movement gears. The 2824-2 DW sits lower in the movement and you may have to actually raise the DWO slightly off the DW. That's a whole different set of problems.

Anyhow, I found a quick and simple way to align it. I first make sure the date wheel is in the proper position on the movement. You can see the spring that holds the date wheel in place roughly on the opposite side from the stem and make sure that is in the center of the two click feet that hold the DW in place. Then you know the DW is where it should be when the watch changes the date. That's important otherwise all the dates will set too high or too low.

Then put the dial onto the movement and make a small mark on the right hand edge of the date wheel, centered in date window. take off the dial and extend the mark all the way to the edge of the DW. This way you'll be able to see it after the overlay is put on. Take a good look and make sure that it's very well centered. Then, remove the dial and use that mark to center the date number. Let's say we use the number 1 and make we sure it's absolutely centered on the previous mark we made. Then center the whole overlay on the the date wheel making sure the number one stays centered on the mark. You can eyeball that and it's easy to see when all sides of the DW sticking out from the overlay are equal.

When you have the overlay perfectly centered on the DW and the number 1 still centered on the mark, you can drop the dial back on and run through the numbers and make minor adjustments as needed. Usually, if you followed directions and centered the overlay on the date wheel, all the numbers will line up perfectly.

Also take a good look at the back of the dial and make sure it's clean and nothing is sticking out. And you should be good to go.

After you've done it once, it probably takes longer to write this than it does to install an overlay "

Don't know if this helps,

Good luck!

Edited by flyr

fatarms

Flyr, thank you for this. This was helpful.

One more question now that I have everything but the dial in my hands for this build... what type of adhesive do you guys use to affix the DWO to the existing date wheel?

nivka

I recently used a few small dots of loctite on a cartel 1680 with 2813. It's worked a treat

fatarms

I recently used a few small dots of loctite on a cartel 1680 with 2813. It's worked a treat

That's what I was thinking as well, was just wondering if anyone else had used that as well :lol: Thank you for the response!

GenTLe

This is my technique:

- the adhesive I use is a slow setting 2 component epoxy (UHU 300: http://www.uhu.com/en/products/epoxy-adhesives-2-component/detail/uhu-plus-endfest-3002-k-epoxidharzkleber-1.html?step=35&cHash=524be41dbe7c41bbb9e3b42de22c01c6). For 2 reasons which are: it is a strong glue so you really need VERY little amount, reducing the risk of spreading it around. And it gives you enough time to center the DWO (like 15 mins).

The original DW is passed into nitro thinner to remove the original paint and number and to fully degrease it, then lightly passed on a grade 1000 sandpaper to remove the eventual oxidation from the glueing surface.

I always do the job of glueing with the DW mounted on the complete movement.

I prepare the glue mix and with a toothpick I put 4 very small drops of glue at the 4 cardinal points of the DW.

Then I apply the DWO and with another clean toothpick I align a number to the stem.

Finally I put the dial (without fixing it with the hooks) and change all the dates with the stem to check the alignment in the date window and do the appropriate corrections (eventually removing again the dial) with the toothpick.

When I am satisfied I let the glue to set for another 15 mins and I check if the glue didn't spread from below the DWO. It will be still soft enough to be removed with the point of the toothpick not leaving traces.

fatarms

Thanks, GenTLe.

NCRich

I would never pull off the DW overlay. It takes 2 minutes to switch out the datewheel itself on a 2813 (less on an ETA) and you don't risk screwing up alignment. I would only remove an overlay if I was switching the type of movement.

I'm no help, but I'd do what Gentle said.

If you are in the US you really should order your 2813 from here:

http://www.allwatchparts.com/

$25, good quality, and you get them in 2-3 days. The more you know.

Zeerash

Hello guys, I hope this is the right discussion area because I desperately need some help on my new purchase. I recently bought a Submariner vintage 1680 with A2836 movement. For the last of couple of days, on few occasions I have been noticing that while I change the date makes the hour hand shake, does not happen every time though and also the crown slips once in a while when setting the time or winding the watch if it requires. I sent email to the TD and he is more than happy to help me by sending it to the factory to be checked since I am from Canada and wondering if these really are the defects that need to be fixed and I should take the hassle of shipping it back to them or perhaps it's totally normal and is a known issue with this watch or the movement. Your kind advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks. 

tripdog123
6 minutes ago, Zeerash said:

Hello guys, I hope this is the right discussion area because I desperately need some help on my new purchase. I recently bought a Submariner vintage 1680 with A2836 movement. For the last of couple of days, on few occasions I have been noticing that while I change the date makes the hour hand shake, does not happen every time though and also the crown slips once in a while when setting the time or winding the watch if it requires. I sent email to the TD and he is more than happy to help me by sending it to the factory to be checked since I am from Canada and wondering if these really are the defects that need to be fixed and I should take the hassle of shipping it back to them or perhaps it's totally normal and is a known issue with this watch or the movement. Your kind advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks. 

Don't send it back to China for such a minor problem. If it gets worse have it repaired by a modder, although it sounds like a slightly loose keyless works, it may not get worse at all.

P.S. why the hell are you changing the date on it so often ? Leave it be.

Zeerash

Thanks Tripdog for the quick response. I just got a bit worried and was trying to reproduce the issue in order to make a shot video for the TD. The watch looks and works great and it's keeping the time accurately so far. I'll definitely follow your advice. Thanks once again and Happy holidays!