Sign in to follow this  
rikracy

'Blaken' Sub/ Expolerer Hybrid....1st Impressions

rikracy

Hi All

Curiosity lead me to purchase this watch and I'd like to share my thoughts with you.

'Blaken' are a company, if you didn't already know, who take Rolex models and work their magic on them!

Their produced in very limited numbers and you pay a hefty premium for the exclusivity!

Their big thing is re-coating them in DLC (diamond like carbon) along with dial mods etc!

I feel Rolex, as good as they are, have become lazy and not extended/ introduced much in the way of new models for a good while and I have to say I've become a little bored with them. Blaken have refreshed the Rolex range for them!

So, when Reg (Narikaa) released the Blaken Sub/Explorer I took the plunge!

They are based on his Regmariner Sub DG2813 movement offering, which are great value/ quality for the money! All of us have probably owned one at one time or another so I won't dwell further!

Here's some pics!

CFDA1926-FBFE-41B7-AFBB-AA1A5579DDE7_zpsoscw1dbk.jpg

EF3F44F4-92CD-4A62-9ABE-8E5B74BA9B37_zps2pazmdv9.jpg

2B8440E1-BC9E-4F39-BDC3-25426B027FFA_zps4bwpp6vy.jpg

B31D4B30-D9E5-4DD6-92DA-41FF0CFBD294_zpsr4sbglox.jpg

BA11D04D-2036-4B2A-A4A6-FA816EF10D48_zps9pihvhal.jpg

E946EF6C-AF13-4AEB-B65F-88626DB95C79_zpsjfbwnavy.jpg

F1043AE2-E0E3-4FE6-B3A4-6582BE8D5241_zpsnic9knrs.jpg

DECC570A-6547-418F-8E9A-097AE9D46E7C_zpst7mxekhi.jpg

I like the look and feel of this watch!....it's coating gives it a 'titanium' look and feel and it's got a Tudor Pelagos vibe to it.

As a good copy of the gen...well maybe?...but it's different and I like that!

One big 'tell' ....is the dial!

This watch obviously has no date but sadly the factory missed this!

The dial reads 'Oyster Perpetual Date'....whoops!

The finish seems to suit it and the dial adds that 'something out of the norm Sub look'....opinions may differ but as I mentioned earlier I was getting a bit bored the the whole 'Sub' thing and for me personally it's refreshed my interest again!

To sum up....it's not bad for a lower end rep £108 delivered......and yes I'd prefer it without the 'tell' and running a better movement but it is what it is!

I'll enjoy it anyway!

Hope this has been helpful?

Regards

Rich

rikracy

Here's a lume pic!

376F09A6-86A6-427C-9D01-0B5CAE330D50_zpsshglxx0c.jpg

watchcraze

Great piece congrats. But yea like you said, the date fiasco and un-gen like movement kills it for me. :(

Andylaw1919

Very interesting watch! Is it just me or is there 2 hologram stickers?

rikracy

No...just the one!

I haven't taken the protective clear one off yet! Lol!

Well spotted though!

JazzDJ

Thanks for sharing that. I had never seen a "Blaken" Hybrid before. I think it makes for a classy and subtle variation on the standard Sub. I really like the "satin" look finish all around. In particular the dial finish has a great presence. I also like the way the numerals and the thick line markers stand out compared to the normal round dot markers. The combination of the blue and green lumes makes for a nice effect. It would be extra nice if it didn't have that "Oyster Perpetual Date" faux pas, but still a great looking watch all the way around. You should get a lot of compliments on it's looks whenever you wear it. Enjoy.

rikracy

All 'reps' have flaws of different magnitudes...but I say..if you like a particular watch and can live with the tells then...go for it!!

lego67

Kewl .. thanks for posting may have to get one