Sign in to follow this  
RepGuy

Info on Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms Mod?

RepGuy

Hey all, I saw a great looking Seiko FFF in a recent thread here, and it got me thinking about getting one. I realize this is a modded watch, and not something that can just be bought normally, so I am in search of where members source the dial, hands, and bezel to make this happen. The base watch is easy enough to find, and priced fairly low, which has me hoping this wouldn't be too big of an endeavor financially to make happen. I would also be interested in any info about pre-built modded versions, but they seem to be fairly scarce. Thanks for any help!

fatarms

I'm pretty sure most people get them from Yobokies. I may be wrong though.

boredpanda

Most parts are sourced from either Yobokies or Dagaz

I did a FFF mod before and also a PMMM

ShovelnTC

I got mine from Dagaz and am waiting for another dial to became available again for my next watch.

There is a guy on ebay that does the mods and sells them done but much cheaper to do it yourself if you're confident.

jrlmsla

What donor watch is typically used? And how do you know a good one to pick up?

boredpanda

Depends on the mod, most are done on SKX007 but for FFF it's the SNZH series (SNZH53/55 etc.)

I did my PMMM on SKX171 cause it came with black date wheel background

iperleyr

In my post some time ago I mentioned where I got my parts and I think the prices. Crystal, dial, and bezel insert from Dagaz; hand set from Yobokies. Base watch from Amazon and black sailcloth steps from Bradystraps.

nuttcrac69
In my post some time ago I mentioned where I got my parts and I think the prices. Crystal, dial, and bezel insert from Dagaz; hand set from Yobokies. Base watch from Amazon and black sailcloth steps from Bradystraps.

Exactly this, although pretty much everything can be purchased from either Dagaz or Yobokies depending on what you want. You can also mix and match.

Also remember that you will need some sort of caseback tool. Hand remover, dial protector (can make this yourself), hand press.

Oh yes, also remember to let the watch run down completely before commencing work and turn the hands to 12 or 6 for easier replacement and alignment.

RepGuy

Thank you for all of the information! This is seeming like something I might have to keep an eye out for in the M2M section, as there seems be quite a bit involved with this I didn't account for

nuttcrac69
Thank you for all of the information! This is seeming like something I might have to keep an eye out for in the M2M section, as there seems be quite a bit involved with this I didn't account for

You just missed mine. :lol:

Daywatch

Hi, it´s something You can do Yourself and for cheap if You just get the SNZH55 and the Dagaz dial and skip the rest. Hand-setting and removal tools may cost around $7 to $10 each and You need the caseback opener or a watchbox tools set from ebay that does include one (around $15 to $22). The Yobokies route (dial, hands, insert, caseback possible) is more expensive with other extras and the lumed insert. You may follow the links from the first project I did here, the watch is beginners level/first time tinkerers level as long as there is some patience and research involved: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=72681

left Yobokies center V1rep right Dagaz

BPFF31024_0293c_zps9f2d060d.jpg

on the Dagaz below everything is Seiko SNZH55 except the dial

DSC_2340d_zpsex7mbi71.jpg

DSC_7341_zpsfh9nxdz4.jpg

jrlmsla

I looked a few years ago into Yobokies for parts and found his photobucket page aggravating. I just looked and was reminded of that fact as I see no fifty five stuff on there. His site also says he maintains a page on scwf but I don't see it there either. How do you go about ordering parts?

I have built several watches Panerai vintage and pilot styles and have dealt with River, Athaya and others so I understand it can be a bit tricky to communicate.

iperleyr
I looked a few years ago into Yobokies for parts and found his photobucket page aggravating. I just looked and was reminded of that fact as I see no fifty five stuff on there. His site also says he maintains a page on scwf but I don't see it there either. How do you go about ordering parts?

I have built several watches Panerai vintage and pilot styles and have dealt with River, Athaya and others so I understand it can be a bit tricky to communicate.

Send him an email. Tell him what watch your are working on and what parts you are looking for. I have found his responses to be quick and helpful, and it is often the case that I ask just for pricing yet rarely order, but he still responds each time.

jrlmsla
Hi, it´s something You can do Yourself and for cheap if You just get the SNZH55 and the Dagaz dial and skip the rest. Hand-setting and removal tools may cost around $7 to $10 each and You need the caseback opener or a watchbox tools set from ebay that does include one (around $15 to $22). The Yobokies route (dial, hands, insert, caseback possible) is more expensive with other extras and the lumed insert. You may follow the links from the first project I did here, the watch is beginners level/first time tinkerers level as long as there is some patience and research involved: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=72681

DSC_7341_zpsfh9nxdz4.jpg

Nice looking! And thanks for the link.

A question:

Is there a size difference between the SNZH55 and the rep Fifty, or is it just a wider bezel?

RussP

I got mine from Dagaz and am waiting for another dial to became available again for my next watch.

There is a guy on ebay that does the mods and sells them done but much cheaper to do it yourself if you're confident.

Yup, Andrew (on EBay in Oz) makes some fabulous watches.

I've dealt with him and have referred him to friends who also find his work very reasonably priced.

Link here : http://www.ebay.com....=12&_stpos=4070

Whilst he hasn't got much on offer now, check out his past sales and feedback to see the quality of his work.

nuttcrac69

DSC_7341_zpsfh9nxdz4.jpg

Nice looking! And thanks for the link.

A question:

Is there a size difference between the SNZH55 and the rep Fifty, or is it just a wider bezel?

The FF is bigger

RepGuy

All of you have provided great info! Ebay is looking to be at the $440 price range and above, which I realize is probably way more than doing it yourself, but does anybody know what these typically go for on the forums?

RussP

The escalating price is indicative of the popularity of the watch(es) and a corresponding increase in parts pricing.

I've been offered more than what I paid for my 3 as they are quite keenly sought after, especially by Seiko fans.

I'm not parting with them though, as they were bought to mark special milestones in my life.

RepGuy
The escalating price is indicative of the popularity of the watch(es) and a corresponding increase in parts pricing.

I've been offered more than what I paid for my 3 as they are quite keenly sought after, especially by Seiko fans.

I'm not parting with them though, as they were bought to mark special milestones in my life.

Thanks for the insight. I found yobokies Photobucket account, but unfortunately am unsure what email to use to contact him regarding pricing of parts. I did find a very well priced base watch, and depending on the parts, it may save money even with having to send it out to a nodded for installation.

RepGuy
Contact Harold from Yobokies, he's great to deal with:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Thanks, I just sent him an email!

jrlmsla

Does the donor seiko matter between the J or K variant? I was under the impression that the only difference is on the dial, which wouldn't matter of course

RussP

Does the donor seiko matter between the J or K variant? I was under the impression that the only difference is on the dial, which wouldn't matter of course

I don't believe it would make one iota of difference.

But, I defer to modders with more experience than I have.

boredpanda

From what I know there's no difference, just what market it was intended for.

In terms of sizing and measurements shouldn't have any difference

fatarms

J is made in Japan, K version is made somewhere else in Asia, but not Japan. From what I remember reading, there are no real differences in the lower end seiko watches between the two. It's only when you get into the high end Seiko watches where the strict tolerances of the J models are better. But then again, I thought the high end ones were all made in Japan anyways? I dunno, sometimes Seiko confuses me :lol: