Sign in to follow this  
boredpanda

Changing out "complete balance" ?

boredpanda

Wanted to check how complicated is it to change out the part below of an A2836 movement

My watch smith told me it was broken and had to order this part to replace.

The part + work comes out to about $140 and this is on top of servicing the watch

Seeing how this part is about 25 pounds online.. I'm curious, is it very complicated to change out watch parts?

Is this article relevant to the part I'm about to replace here?

http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2015/01/18/replace-balance-staff/

replacement-eta-2836-complete-balance-p27-683-p.jpg

GenTLe

If it is sold with its hairspring it is a 15 min work at most.

Remove rotor (1 screw), remove autowind bridge (2 screws), detach the hairspring stud, unscrew the balance cock (1 screw) and lift it. Take away the broken balance, put the new one and do the opposite to assemble everything.

The only difficult part is when (if) the hairspring has to be shaped to fit correctly in the middle of the regulator.

boredpanda

Hmm icic, I'll check with the watchsmith again. Seems unusually expensive to replace this part.

ShovelnTC

If it is sold with its hairspring it is a 15 min work at most.

Remove rotor (1 screw), remove autowind bridge (2 screws), detach the hairspring stud, unscrew the balance cock (1 screw) and lift it. Take away the broken balance, put the new one and do the opposite to assemble everything.

The only difficult part is when (if) the hairspring has to be shaped to fit correctly in the middle of the regulator.

It sounds easy when you tell it mate :giggle:

I wish I had your skills and confidence.

BadPickle

whats the real issue here?

Full service and hairspring change for $140, seems like a bargain to me for a few reasons.

1, real watch fixers who work on reps (not to be confused with the fucking idiots who claim they can, mentioning no names but I'm sure if you skim through threads like these they always offer shitty advice) are thin on the ground.

2, oh, that's it.... :lol:

You could always attempt it yourself and see how much it really costs you..... :lmao:

Let's look at it another way.... Picture the scene....

"Fuck!! My house is on fire!!"

Option A- call the fire service who will deploy a team of full trained professionals to secure the area and tackle the blaze in a safe manner

Option B- call "Gary" who I know from the pub, he once told me he has a few buckets of water in his shed.

ShovelnTC

Nothing wrong with trying it yourself, the only drawback is that you will fuck it up, get depressed, sell it for peanuts then buy a new one. :(

boredpanda

Well, I will only have this done by professionals. Not good enough to do it myself.

The cost is actually closer to $240 ($140 is to change the balance only, another $100 for full service)

ShovelnTC

Then it doesn't sound like it will be economical to do.

It may be time to order another Rep.

RepGuy
Well, I will only have this done by professionals. Not good enough to do it myself.

The cost is actually closer to $240 ($140 is to change the balance only, another $100 for full service)

I could be wrong, but for $240 you could easily buy a new A2836 movement and get it installed. I would look into that option as well... you may even save some money. Or you could probably get a new rep for that price

ShovelnTC

Also sounds a touch dodgy as I believe the balance would have to be pulled out during a full service so there would only be minor additional work to set up the new balance but as most here know I'm no watchmaker.

GenTLe

I could be wrong, but for $240 you could easily buy a new A2836 movement and get it installed. I would look into that option as well... you may even save some money. Or you could probably get a new rep for that price

In effect, a brand new Seagull A2836 is 75$: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221532982206 or (in gold): http://www.ebay.com/itm/221980531211

Stuvetjee

In effect, a brand new Seagull A2836 is 75$: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221532982206 or (in gold): http://www.ebay.com/itm/221980531211

Exactly like Gentle says!

who spends that kinda amount on fixxing a Asian2836 when a new one from seagull (which are better than the hangzhou ones) is cheaper! :P