Sign in to follow this  
avc0002

Is the smart watch bubble going to burst??

avc0002

Not sure if this thread has already been made but I feel like everyone is making one now.

Just saw montblanc made a smart watch.

The Apple Watch (not sure why it's called the iWatch) fossil has one. Nixon has one I think. Tag has two now I believe and I'm sure I forgot some. But I can't tell if they are here to stay, I personally am not a fan, but I get it if you're into it.

RepGuy

It has already burst. People figured out very quickly that the 3 seconds they saved by having their watch buzz was not worth the high price tag and additional electronic device to charge. Old fashoned mechanical watches work better for me than any smart watch.

RUSH2112

What bubble? Were they selling at premium prices or something?

baruk

Not yet. Wearables are to stay, maybe not as a watch but will continue to appear in every form and definitely will replace traditional stuff.

Kleen™

^ bullshit. We'd all be wearing quartz watches with digital displays by now, if your statement was correct. Different driver alltogether.

snowsponge

I don't think it has burst yet. Wearables will be around for a while, imo. Sure, there will always be a ton of us - mechanical fans. But there are loads of people who didn't even think they needed a watch and are now buying Apple Watches and singing their praises.

I don't think we'll have a bubble at all. But we will still have them for a while.

James.

How is it a bubble?

FlyingSpur

Smart phones have created the World's real "Walking Dead"... I suspect any spin-off from them will continue to thrive as long as smart phones do. But the next step when it happens will not be backwards.

Kleen™
How is it a bubble?

Daywatch

Somebody will sooner or later develop an "absolute necessity" to use them, be it to monitor efficiently health or some kind of forced "business need". When portable phones popped up in quantity, just 20 years ago, there where a lot of people who would "never need or use one".

wowsasb

IBM is working on systems that will analyze your bodily functions so thoroughly that they will be able to warn you if you are going to have a stroke, heart attack, asthma attack, or whatever. That might just be the next use for wearables and smart watches. If that is the case I think it is far less likely that watches and wearables will phase out.

Not something I want, but perhaps a thing that is inevitable.

Xpletiv

I already know when I'm going to have a stroke, that would be at work. Heart attack, anytime driving. Asthma attack, near smokers.

Panic attack, when I see my check amount. Bowel moment, 5a.m., 5:55am, 6pm, 9:45pm.