Sign in to follow this  
MDK

Personalised Strap Poll

Laser Personalisation  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Laser Based Strap Personalisation

MDK

A quick poll guys, I am about to invest in some Laser equipment to offer truly flexibly customisation of my straps.

I am curious how many people would be interested in the service, I guess it helps judge how much money to throw at it, a decent laser unit is fairly expensive.

The idea is to offer any form of customisation, from initials to any vector or jpeg that you want etched onto any part of the strap.

greg_r

Interesting idea - would give you the option of producing OEM-labeled straps which might appeal to quite a few folks...

GT86

hmmm. Tough one, if you mean like personal initials on the outer strap, then not for me. I'm sure some would be in for it though...

dilip

Do you have any examples of how it might look? I would really like a strap like the RJ's but not necessarily that expensive..

romain-jerome-tattoo-dna-tattoo-rj-t-au-tt-001-02-multiple-2.jpg

MDK

Do you have any examples of how it might look? I would really like a strap like the RJ's but not necessarily that expensive..

romain-jerome-tattoo-dna-tattoo-rj-t-au-tt-001-02-multiple-2.jpg

The idea is anything could be done, the more expensive the laser the better the DPI and results you would get, it would be similar to what you have pictured essentially burned into the leather

MDK

hmmm. Tough one, if you mean like personal initials on the outer strap, then not for me. I'm sure some would be in for it though...

Using a laser it could be anything anywhere on the strap, from initials to branding to patterns, inside or outside.

dilip

MDK thats sounds awesome :)

Genius

I'd guess it needs to be a pretty high dpi otherwise the end result won't look right?

elp

I'd guess it needs to be a pretty high dpi otherwise the end result won't look right?

dpi only part of the equation - ppi (pulses), head speed, res and format of the original image all contribute to the quality. My 3d printer has an engraving head, I've played a little with leather, with the right settings can be great.

MetalMickey

I've played a little with leather

:hehehe:

GT86

Using a laser it could be anything anywhere on the strap, from initials to branding to patterns, inside or outside.

Ah I see. I'm interested to see a few examples as I suspect some designs would look great but there'll inevitably be requests for gigantic Rolex crowns or 'Scarface' engravings. Nice little USP though... :thumbsup2:

Chiquita Fanjita

Surely this would be good for your own branding too on the strap backing? Strap-Works along the top of the back of the strap with a little SW at the bottom tail ;)

MDK

Surely this would be good for your own branding too on the strap backing? Strap-Works along the top of the back of the strap with a little SW at the bottom tail ;)

That was my first thoughts, then realised i could expand it out as a offering

iloveap

i love brand logos on the inside of a strap, great idea.. if its a decent price i would be in for sure

MDK

My laser is now on the way, I should start producing some samples in a couple of weeks

MDK

My Laser has just arrived, still learning how to get the best out of it with leather, every hide reacts differently a couple of quick and dirty samples below

32928643914_90c795a2d5_z.jpg

dilip

Interesting, any samples of the print on the outside of straps? Like the glossy side?

MDK

Interesting, any samples of the print on the outside of straps? Like the glossy side?

I am not sure how it would look, I can try a few a post some samples

Helmut Wong

Well I know that when I get my panerai I'm gonna be wanting a sting ray strap so if the new equipment can make it even better then I'd say go for it

dilip

Alright that would be neat to see!

Genius
Well I know that when I get my panerai I'm gonna be wanting a sting ray strap so if the new equipment can make it even better then I'd say go for it

?

He already bought the laser he posted some pictures of the work a month ago :rofl:

MDK

Alright that would be neat to see!

Here you go

33790493343_35a02496cd.jpg

33786993411_c05e2ec3e2.jpg

dilip

Now we're talking! I think it looks great :) how is it made? Do you insert a vector into the printer or do you have to do anything manually?

MDK

Now we're talking! I think it looks great :) how is it made? Do you insert a vector into the printer or do you have to do anything manually?

I use a couple of programs, i need to use DXF files which may or may not involve a conversion, set cutting rates and profiles, tool offset, speed and TTL\PWM levels.

This is then parsed as a GCODE for the magic to happen, all the work is done via my PC then sent to the printer