Sign in to follow this  
Mr_B

Hulk Bezel - platinum/silver paint mod

Mr_B

So i got a Noob hulk V7 not too long ago and decided the dark grey markers had to be banished, after a bit of research i decided to go with some Revel silver metallic enamel paint as it was water resistant and long lasting.

32778914554_e914901d3a_b.jpg

left is the modded bezel.

its hard to compare exactly with photos taken in different locations, what i can say is although if you get a loupe or macro lens on the numbers the paint can appear slightly uneven the colour is alot more gen like and less of a tell. IMO.

33621491485_0a5748d080_b.jpg

one last wristy

33464942072_9ddfbf7eb0_b.jpg

I may revisit the '30' marker at a later date as it seems a little rough up close

splke

I think markeym3 did something with some thin car paint last year with terrific results

greg_r

nicely done :)

Mr_B
nicely done :)

Cheers Greg, not bad for a first attempt I think. It looks even better in natural light/sunlight

Not That Rich

Lovely job Mr_B, that looks rather nice :thumbsup2:

ShovelnTC

The trouble is of course that bloody watches are so small.

I've done a lot of vehicle painting and when I see the various pics of all of the mods that have been shown across the forums I think to myself that I must be able to apply the paint more smoothly but when I look at the watch I see just how small the painted area actually is and that there is no way to have any control of the application of the paint which is of course what results in a good paint job.

So we are at the mercy of how the particular paint settles within the numbers gully.

Without having any kind of application control I won't be able to predict the results so I think I'll put up with the dull look of the stock insert paint.

Thanks for sharing the pics of your work.

Monkey_Business

Nice mod. How did you get e-mail color?

Mr_B
Nice mod. How did you get e-mail color?

On Amazon for £3

Mr_B

Thought i'd take advantage of the sunshine for another pic :)

32809920493_213877314c_b.jpg

fatarms

That looks good, and the 30 looking rough may not be any fault of your own. I've done this mod on a few watches in the past and the problem is that the bezel engravings are not always smooth on the bottom, and putting metallic paint on it only makes it stand out more for some reason. Probably because it throws the light around and causes some shadowing making it look rough.

My best advice for this mod is to start with paint thinner as the base and only add enough paint to color the thinner silver. It should be very runny, not thick like paint. This helps the solution to fill the numbers more easily and as the thinner evaporates over the next 15-30 minutes, it leaves the paint deposited on the insides of the bezel insert. Once dry, dip the corner of a paper towel in thinner and then fold the dry towel over it a few times so that the surface has a minimal amount of thinner on it. Then use that to clean the bezel residue off going from the crystal and sweeping outward.

Mr_B
That looks good, and the 30 looking rough may not be any fault of your own. I've done this mod on a few watches in the past and the problem is that the bezel engravings are not always smooth on the bottom, and putting metallic paint on it only makes it stand out more for some reason. Probably because it throws the light around and causes some shadowing making it look rough.

My best advice for this mod is to start with paint thinner as the base and only add enough paint to color the thinner silver. It should be very runny, not thick like paint. This helps the solution to fill the numbers more easily and as the thinner evaporates over the next 15-30 minutes, it leaves the paint deposited on the insides of the bezel insert. Once dry, dip the corner of a paper towel in thinner and then fold the dry towel over it a few times so that the surface has a minimal amount of thinner on it. Then use that to clean the bezel residue off going from the crystal and sweeping outward.

Good advice mate, I have a GMT en route, if it ever gets here I'll try it out