Sign in to follow this  
brian500

Old Member is New Again

brian500

First a member back round 2011, absent for years, lost the signon info so back now with a new signon.

What I found most interesting about this site, and serious rep collectors, is that in general they are even more into watches, especially technical aspects, than those that only collect gens.

I was amazed early on the knowledge and passion found here - taking already excellent reps and doing further work, knowing exactly the tiny variances to the gen that they could eliminate or reduce.

I found it more interesting than TimeZone or even Watchseek due to this aspect.

The other is the quality of rep watches. Having been away for a while I bet the quality is even higher as the machinery and technology used just keeps improving.

Anyway happy to be here and looking forward to talking to some of you!

Brian500

elp

Hi Brian, welcome back!

What reps do you have from 2011?

phone
Hi Brian, welcome back!

I am also interested. Post a picture of the collection! (If you have one still of course)

Mr_B
Hi Brian, welcome back!

+1

Nikosaldente

Welcome back....

Quite a few things have changed in the rep industry since 2011 for sure!

+1 on showing your collection!

greg_r

Welcome home, mate :)

BadPickle

:D

2hot2trot

Welcome and enjoy! :)

ShovelnTC

Yes and I agree, members here are in general more passionate about their watches both Rep and Gen.

RussP

I'd be interested in how you view the current pricing of reps compared to when you were last active in the rep playing field.

Welcome back to the fold.

brian500

Hi Brian, welcome back!

Rolex Explorer II, IWC Ingenieur and Aquatimer, Pan 112, Breitling Superocean (supposedly one of the few reps with the same movement as the gen ETA 2824 - but doubt it!).

All excellent. Couple that didn't work - Cartier Santos XL (not that good) and an interesting one - Ebel 1911 Discovery. Looked spot on, one of the "best of" discussed here at the time. But the old rep bugaboo bit it - the movement/crown workings stopped working and my watchmaker couldn't fix it.

Hi Brian, welcome back!

I am also interested. Post a picture of the collection! (If you have one still of course)

Will do! Thanks for your and everyone's kind words --

brian500

Welcome and enjoy! :)

Thanks! Happy to be here. Another thing the quality on these taught me is the incredible markup and "corporateness" of high volume Swiss watch brands.

I don't begrudge the small boutique quality watch brands their prices so much. But the big boys - especially Rolex of course - making hundreds of thousands a year (Rolex I believe is close to a million?) mainly on machines - and charging many thousands for stainless versions, when the best from China now are maybe 80% - 90% of the quality, with the best hard for even watchmakers to tell - can charge a few hundred?

Of course the gens have marketing, R and D, etc expense. But Rolex in particular sold the same watches for decades without much retooling or redesign. The money they make must be off the charts.

brian500

:D

Thank you for the kind invitation - unfortunately US based and not practical for me - but I'm there in spirit!

brian500

Yes and I agree, members here are in general more passionate about their watches both Rep and Gen.

I was amazed when I first came here to see what people knew and did - many doing there own work, to get good reps to more closely match the gens. They knew every small difference and would source parts and tools to get them as close to perfect as possible.

Really a much more hands on hobby, that, than just buying stuff and wearing it. With rep quality, I'd think, much improved in the last 5 years has that aspect faded somewhat?