Sign in to follow this  
MetalMickey

J Factory's new "TC Beater" Sub 16610LV

MetalMickey

Those who are not members at RWI may have missed the Puretime have been working with J Factory on a new "TC Beating" five digit sub. The pics of the first version are in, and review copies are shortly going out for members to compare with the equivalent gen and TC models. The sales pitch is "almost TC quality", with no wait, and at half the price (although list price has crept up to $418 now it's on sale but other TDs are usually cheaper).

They are using the Yuki 3135 movement and, until recently, when stock became scarce these were $368 on their own so these might serve well as donor movemements for TCs and franken builds if nothing more. They've gone for a later model than TC so it has the engraved rehaut, but overall the project looks interesting to say the least.

Pleaselet's not use this thread to speculate on the whereabouts/other business activities of TC as it looks like such discussion is not welcome at this forum. To save the admin team from deleting the thread let's leave speculating to the gen forums and other rep forums: RWI has a lengthy thread on the subject.

Here are some early pics of the prototype stolen from Angus's thread: https://www.replica-...-tc-sub.365756/ (page 31)

OjVWlNu.jpg

MetalMickey

I think it's all a bit Emperors New Clothes. They want to 'upgrade' is all to 3135 movements so we have to replace more often

Lagger

Yeah there does seem to be a bit of a push on then at the momment, I think with the likes of Angus getting involved with the factories, with feedback from the fora they have less excuse to get things wrong and keep up the never ending 'V*' war. So force us down the un servicable movement route perhaps?

MetalMickey

That's basically what the gen makers have done...

ShovelnTC

So are you going for one?

MetalMickey

If it were $300 I would have...

ShovelnTC

I have a TC incoming but also have a black TC insert so I may order one of the JF's anyway and fit the balck insert, not "correct" but I love the maxi-dial and hands but also like a black insert so I'd have the Green TC and a Black JF.

Going to wait until they are actualy shipping though.

Lagger
That's basically what the gen makers have done...

True, never thought of that!

NFleischer

Most of these new reps are WAY overpriced. I just saw the new Noob TT DJ2, with 'superwrapped' bracelet for $618!!

With basic Asian movement dressed up. Not worth almost 3 of these, much rather buy good mid-range Gen on sale,

DSCN0271_zps30c8c9de.jpg

austinsom

The engraved rehaut is a big mistake, as is that price point. Not enough difference between that and a TC to go and buy the unknown challenger.

RandomGuy

Thanks OP for posting this thread. When I read the RWI thread a couple of weeks ago they acted like this would revolutionize the rep market, and we're losing their minds with the excitement.

Here the reception was..."Meh". The difference cracks me up!

I'm not a Rolex guy, so the news doesn't affect my buying practice much.

But as I understand it the Yuki movement has a great reputation, can easily be serviced, and can accept gen (albeit pricey) parts.

MetalMickey

It is just s watch, with a green bezel.

ShovelnTC

Yes this watch has certainly stirred up a lot of interest in the forums, I do like it but was hoping for a mid $300 price tag.

I know all the hype with the Yuki styled movement but a nice A2824/36 is an economical and relatively easy switch for the moderately skilled tinkerer but the Yuki style will still need a skilled tinkerer and some expensive parts to repair so I'm not as convinced the movement is so much of a revoulution for the normal wearer.

GC
Yes this watch has certainly stirred up a lot of interest in the forums, I do like it but was hoping for a mid $300 price tag.

I know all the hype with the Yuki styled movement but a nice A2824/36 is an economical and relatively easy switch for the moderately skilled tinkerer but the Yuki style will still need a skilled tinkerer and some expensive parts to repair so I'm not as convinced the movement is so much of a revoulution for the normal wearer.

If I'm not wrong, I read a 28xx version is also on the way. That'll be in the $300s

Mr_B
How much better is it than the BP five digit sub that if I remember rightly got decent reviews, $258 and a decent miyota movement

http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_115&product_id=1943

This one at $418 seems steep, they should have used a miyota too

This would be my choice

GC

What I see is an almost TC with a Yuki movement for $420.

Not bad if you ask me, but I've still got a prior version and see no reason to upgrade.

Or tell me?

083718D4-ECDB-44B9-B499-3ACB2B00A07C_zpsrjz8alau.jpg

Genius

Thing that worries me with the YUKI movement is the same issue we have with Swiss movements, yes it might be a proper YUKI for the initial run, but if they miss a delivery of YUKIs they aren't gonna stop production they'll just switch in some dogshit clone instead

ShovelnTC

Thing that worries me with the YUKI movement is the same issue we have with Swiss movements, yes it might be a proper YUKI for the initial run, but if they miss a delivery of YUKIs they aren't gonna stop production they'll just switch in some dogshit clone instead

Info is that the movements are actualy made by a factory and YUKI has been marketing them but these are from the original factory and on a much larger scale than Yuki so presumably there won't be a shortage.

Either way they are still not freely available to us apart from YUKI when he has stock and at what now appears to be an inflated price so quick full replacement likely won't be an option.

Stuvetjee

How much better is it than the BP five digit sub that if I remember rightly got decent reviews, $258 and a decent miyota movement

http://www.tb-688.co...product_id=1943

This one at $418 seems steep, they should have used a miyota too

The miyota version with decorated 3135 is actually glued to the movement and movement holder i read omn RWI. So that already would be a no for me. Also the miyota rotor is loud. In overall finish the bp is nowhere near the JF i believe. Its a upgrade of their own old BP with a2836 in the past though :)

Lagger

I mistakenly thought the miyota bp came in the lv model, but it only looks like black and blue available.....the bp lv is a clone movement and from what I can see the optic is very cloudy.......is there a decent ish five digit lv in the $250 dollar range?

2470f2.8ii

Man I do not get the fuss behind that color combo. The LV ceramic looks way better!

UmpaHimself

ShovelnTC

Man I do not get the fuss behind that color combo. The LV ceramic looks way better!

IYHO

NCRich

There is one born every minute.