Sign in to follow this  
Bxx

Strap skins

Bxx

Hello, i dont know if its me or other feel the same, i am talking about the material used or advertised for our straps in particular what is called exotic leather(s).

Straps made with the skin of farmed animals is something i have to live with, where i feel real discomfort not to say the least, is the used of the skin of endenger animal(s) in particular Elephants and sharks.

For the moment i would like to know your opinion on the subject,thank you all..

MDK

As a strap maker there are certain skins that will never cross my bench, Elephant, Rhino (yes you can get it) for example.

splke

dolphin friendly straps only on my wrist

Bxx

Mdk as renouned strap maker ithank you, spike dolphins and more thank you too,

I am not trying to blame anyone who has one of these straps, times have change,

My concern is more on todays use sale and advertising...

Stewart

As far as I understand, the elephant leather that is made available is from elephants that died from natural causes and the money raised from the sale goes to supporting other wild elephants.

I may be wrong but that is what I remember reading. The treatment of most all reptiles who are sacrificed for their skin is much more appalling especially in countries like Vietnam. There are many youtube videos depicting this treatment, however I would not advise watching them as they are truly cruel.

Bxx

Thank you Stewart, again my concern is with so many poachers and no tracebelity it is very difficult to insure the origin of the material,but i do understand a legit argument...

Daffy

Since when are sharks endangered? The elephant hides are like you said. Not farmed or culled. Each hide MUST have a cites tag on it to be sold, guaranteeing a legal source.

Would you rather the hides go to waste when elephants die from natural causes? It is the definition of a huge waste.

Bxx

If you dont mind i will pass, more like The Silence of the Lambs...

Daffy
If you dont mind i will pass, more like The Silence of the Lambs...

Come again?

Bxx

Daffy, you are almost right most sharks are not but their numbers due to over fishing for their fins,where they cut the fins of a live shark and thrown back to the sea without even kinlling the animal,as for Elephants i do have my doubts about the origin,again i am expressing

My discomfort. Gentle might have the right idea...

psantos1091

I really like exotics. It's something different and all leather comes from animals. Do you not feel bad when you're wearing a soft calf on your wrist? Maybe your belt needs to be replaced too? Humans have been wearing them longer than any other type of clothing, so why stop the tradition?

I remember seeing a thread of someone selling an elephant strap. One of the commenters said something like "you killed dumbo! It'll never sell!" ...I laughed so hard and because of that I bought it. I can't remember what I did with the strap now though..hmmmm

Edit: found a pic showing the difference in the grain of the elephant vs calf.

https://goo.gl/photos/4qBV6zKYuwEKH2we7

Edited by psantos1091

Bxx

if it pleases you so be it, I do understand the need for leather, as mention earlier leather from sustainable source, I am ok with it,

from a specie that is endanger or on the fringe I question it...

Bxx

Daffy the reference to The silence of the lambs was a response to Gentle sense of humor,

if I may borrow your link strange as it is.

http://www.humanleat...uk/history.html

thought about it and still not for me...

GenTLe

Daffy the reference to The silence of the lambs was a response to Gentle sense of humor,

Good that you got it was humor ;) Of course that site is pure fake one to get reactions (= to troll) from those indignant people that infest the web (referring mainly to Facebook) :)

Bxx

GenTLe, as mr Spock would say I find your humor " fascinating "

also" Without followers, evil cannot spread. " good day to you...

Bxx

by the way my two favorite Italian horror movies are, Suspiria and Profondo Rosso, lol...

GenTLe

by the way my two favorite Italian horror movies are, Suspiria and Profondo Rosso, lol...

Because they're more thriller than splatter ;) I like them too, but for me the very top is Shining :)

Bxx

Absolutely, no argument from me.

wendy! I'm home...

And my favorite, heeere's Johnny!...

Bxx

I have unfortunately realised that very few are concerned about what their watch strap are made of and that even fewer care about the slaughter and erradication of our wilde life,i will go on to other things for the moment,see you around,lol...

jrlmsla

I prefer my straps made out of non-GMO tomatoes and corn. Or better yet hemp. Let's light one up and kill our brains cells by the millions while crying because eggs and hamburger aren't really a product of a grocery store, but live (once) animals.

As long as there is a market it will continue to be produced. If you don't want it don't buy it.

I prefer non "exotic" leather like cow and buffalo. By buffalo I mean bison. American bison. There is a huge ranch over the hill from me where people come from California, get in a truck with a guide, drive up to the herd, the guy says which one, the Cali says that one there, the guide hands him a rifle, a shot is fired, another shot by the guide because the Cali closes his eyes while pulling the trigger and a massive animal falls to the ground. A couple grand is exchanged and freezer packed boxes full of steak and burger are loaded onto the plane back to California. What you say? That buffalo has a skin?

Over in Europe this American bison is an exotic, but not here. Hell we have buffalo burgers at our fast food joints.

To the native populations of Africa an Elephant wouldn't be an exotic. Are they evil because they legally and responsibly harvest "exotics" for survival.

Ever eaten turtle? Delicious.

Iguana? If you boil there eggs they taste just like deviled eggs.

Snake? I haven't eaten snake but the last one in my yard (6 foot bull snake) ended up skin for my watches and dinner for my chickens, what you feed your chickens snake? They loved it.

I bet people in Florida don't consider alligator exotic.

Are polar bears exotic in Alaska?

It's all relative.

Here's a funny story. And true:

I was fishing once when I was about 12. I was catching loads of cutthroat trout with an elk hair caddis. Right about dusk I heard splashing on the other side of the river and saw a decent size sow grizzly bear. She could smell the fish I had and was hungry. I moved down stream and she started across the river. Once she was on my side I crossed over to the other side and continued down stream (still fishing of coarse) until she crossed to my side. We went back and forth for a few minutes, neither of us in much of a hurry. Finally I dropped the fish and she left me alone.

So I fed an exotic with an exotic caught on a fly made from the fur of an exotic.

Oh, and Elk skin and bear skin are a commodity. Trout skin usually isn't as it is crisped up nicely with butter and lemon.

The most exotic strap I have is an ostrich. But it was a Coach belt that I picked up at Goodwill. So we can blame the rich lady who had the belt before me for the animal cruelty, I am a hero for recycling or... "upcycling" as the cool kids say. It looks sweet on my Pam 177

psantos1091
I prefer my straps made out of non-GMO tomatoes and corn. Or better yet hemp. Let's light one up and kill our brains cells by the millions while crying because eggs and hamburger aren't really a product of a grocery store, but live (once) animals.

As long as there is a market it will continue to be produced. If you don't want it don't buy it.

I prefer non "exotic" leather like cow and buffalo. By buffalo I mean bison. American bison. There is a huge ranch over the hill from me where people come from California, get in a truck with a guide, drive up to the herd, the guy says which one, the Cali says that one there, the guide hands him a rifle, a shot is fired, another shot by the guide because the Cali closes his eyes while pulling the trigger and a massive animal falls to the ground. A couple grand is exchanged and freezer packed boxes full of steak and burger are loaded onto the plane back to California. What you say? That buffalo has a skin?

Over in Europe this American bison is an exotic, but not here. Hell we have buffalo burgers at our fast food joints.

To the native populations of Africa an Elephant wouldn't be an exotic. Are they evil because they legally and responsibly harvest "exotics" for survival.

Ever eaten turtle? Delicious.

Iguana? If you boil there eggs they taste just like deviled eggs.

Snake? I haven't eaten snake but the last one in my yard (6 foot bull snake) ended up skin for my watches and dinner for my chickens, what you feed your chickens snake? They loved it.

I bet people in Florida don't consider alligator exotic.

Are polar bears exotic in Alaska?

It's all relative.

Here's a funny story. And true:

I was fishing once when I was about 12. I was catching loads of cutthroat trout with an elk hair caddis. Right about dusk I heard splashing on the other side of the river and saw a decent size sow grizzly bear. She could smell the fish I had and was hungry. I moved down stream and she started across the river. Once she was on my side I crossed over to the other side and continued down stream (still fishing of coarse) until she crossed to my side. We went back and forth for a few minutes, neither of us in much of a hurry. Finally I dropped the fish and she left me alone.

So I fed an exotic with an exotic caught on a fly made from the fur of an exotic.

Oh, and Elk skin and bear skin are a commodity. Trout skin usually isn't as it is crisped up nicely with butter and lemon.

The most exotic strap I have is an ostrich. But it was a Coach belt that I picked up at Goodwill. So we can blame the rich lady who had the belt before me for the animal cruelty, I am a hero for recycling or... "upcycling" as the cool kids say. It looks sweet on my Pam 177

I need to find a meme that says:

"Too long, didn't read" lol

Cubic Hare

OP, Read THIS and educate yourself.

Cheers

roberto

OP - what do you put on your 'ethically sourced' reps?

I take it you've done your research into how reps are made, human rights, all of that, and have satisfied you are comfortable with that?

And by the way, I love animals.

They're delicious.

Bxx

I am glad people react, I am all about an honest and open discussion, please express yourself, its is a forum, share, good day all...