Sign in to follow this  
Diver Dave

Tudor Sub from Mary (It's Nice...)

Diver Dave

Just got a nice box from Mary with a vintage Tudor Sub that I ordered ten days ago. First, I've been wearing a Gen Rolex 1665 Sea Dweller for 38 years, and know my Gen watches pretty well. Second, I build and mod watches as a hobby and know my way around a Rep. And with that said, the quality of this watch staggered me. It's excellent.

First, I wanted a Tudor with the correct back markings. My first email to Mary elicited the reply that there weren't any with back markings. Imagine my surprise a week later to get an email saying "how about like this?" with an image of one with the correct engravings. So off to PayPal I went and here we are ten days later.

Bracelet... "Meh"... I didn't buy it for the bracelet, but it's a folded Oyster of indeterminate quality. I took it off and replaced it with one of the green elastic French Navy MN divers bands, which I had stashed away just for this. If anyone needs a rep Tudor Sub bracelet, let me know and it's yours.

Watch Head: Looks great. Side by side to my old Gen Rolex it's darned good. Weight is good, dial looks great, bezel is good, finish is great... it's just plain nice.

BUT!

Here's what really surprised me:

1: I tossed it into my water test chamber, ran it down to 200 feet, went and got coffee, came back and did a bubble test and guess what" IT'S WATERPROOF. As in *it's really waterproof*. No kidding. Did I mention that it's really really waterproof? I'm impressed. A waterproof rep. Cool....

and...

2: It's accurate. I stuck it on my Timegrapher and I thought the machine was broken. The watch is running between +1 and -1 second per day in every position. That's... insane. NONE of my Gens run anywhere near that (and never have). I was floored.

Damn.... this could be the best $300 bill I've ever spent.

Highly recommend Mary as a source, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying one of these. Trying to post some pics, no way apparently to do so without uploading to a web based photo account. Since I don't have one... I guess I need one.

Happy Happy Happy....

Diver Dave

Foxindebox
:ttiwwop:

splke

no pics = it didn't happen !

GT86

All that reviewing with no pics?! Waiting for the art buddy!

1385573858_art_not_loading.gif

BadPickle

Good write up Dave, pics please :D

Nikosaldente

Now you may post some photos.....

2009-11-12_154001_zps9jfdgweq.jpg

Genius
. Trying to post some pics, no way apparently to do so without uploading to a web based photo account. Since I don't have one... I guess I need one.

Try imagur you don't need an account just drag and drop your photos

http://m.imgur.com/

Diver Dave

Good write up Dave, pics please :D

Working on it now......

Dave

. Trying to post some pics, no way apparently to do so without uploading to a web based photo account. Since I don't have one... I guess I need one.

Try imagur you don't need an account just drag and drop your photos

http://m.imgur.com/

Cool... give me a few.

Dave

MetalMickey

Your write up has me excited, make sure to get one of the back, I'm intrigued as to what the right markings are

Diver Dave
GcjkmLj.jpg

Diver Dave

On my wrist with my Gen 16656sPB6RY.jpg

Timegrapher Insanity.....

zIj12Du.jpg

It's like this in every position....7sQdhcF.jpg

GenTLe

And consider that this is a medium good rep. If you go to the top quality ones you'll be even more grounded :)

By the way, and this is valid for ALL reps, grease the gaskets (caseback and crown) before to put it in the water tester. You surely know how to do :)

Diver Dave

Your write up has me excited, make sure to get one of the back, I'm intrigued as to what the right markings are

Coming...

It's a bit of an anachronism, the back markings (like the crown design) are more modern than the dial, but "who cares?". It's just a stunning watch.

I bought it to beat up when I finally figured out that my 1665 is worth too much to beat up...

More in a bit.

Edited by Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Back mAyZN9i.jpg

One more. ToRSd4t.jpg

And.... I love the crystal, being a Superdome sort... NiAtp2x.jpg

GWT

well good to see someone is getting orders from Mary! i ordered a DSSD with sa3135 movement been 2 weeks and she keeps telling me no good watches well if she cant get it just let me know!

Great looking tudor!

Diver Dave

well good to see someone is getting orders from Mary! i ordered a DSSD with sa3135 movement been 2 weeks and she keeps telling me no good watches well if she cant get it just let me know!

Great looking tudor!

Seems like a pretty squared away seller. I was REALLY surprised that when I rejected the first offering she then sent me a second choice a week later without being asked. I'd given up, to be truthful. So my guess is that if she says that she can't find it "now"... she will in the future.

I'll definitely be ordering from her again.

Diver Dave

Now all I need to do is to put it in a bag of rocks and shake it for a few hours to make it look like my Gen 1665...

MetalMickey

Your 1665 is amazing. Can we have a thread on that with lots of pics please?

Diver Dave

Sure, I'll put some effort into it so it'll be a bit. I was issued it in 1979 when I worked as a saturation diver, then wore it for two years in the Antarctic, including at South Pole, and then for all of my diving expeditions including several to dive the Andrea Doria. Then as a pilot and finally a test pilot, so it;'s been to 330 meters, to the South Pole, and to Mach 2. It's been beaten to death and overhauled twice. The last overhaul cost more than what I needed to pay the diving company to keep it when I left their employ in 1981.

Mr_B

+1!

Diver Dave

+1!

What's the appropriate forum here for that, it being a Gen?

I'll shoot up some photos in a bit and write up the history.

Dave

MetalMickey

Sure, I'll put some effort into it so it'll be a bit. I was issued it in 1979 when I worked as a saturation diver, then wore it for two years in the Antarctic, including at South Pole, and then for all of my diving expeditions including several to dive the Andrea Doria. Then as a pilot and finally a test pilot, so it;'s been to 330 meters, to the South Pole, and to Mach 2. It's been beaten to death and overhauled twice. The last overhaul cost more than what I needed to pay the diving company to keep it when I left their employ in 1981.

And lots more of that story too!

MetalMickey

+1!

Dave

I'd put it in general discussion. I am really excited to hear about it

Diver Dave

+1!

Dave

I'd put it in general discussion. I am really excited to hear about it

OK, thanks. I'll start with some pics in a bit.

micscave

Great looking watch the Tudor is.

I'd also love to hear the back story to the 1665.