Sign in to follow this  
Thelittleprince

Gen Tag Calibre 5 Daydate, Thoughts?

Thelittleprince

I've been eyeballing this beauty for a while. But im very hesitant because i know Tag gets a lot of hate for some reason! What do you guys think? Im not so knowledge about the brand, and i plan to get it pre owned! It could be had at around 1500$ to 2K which is a decent price!

tg514_im_zpscljnitbr.jpg

72ff5187529c06c86b4b72799429cfe9_zpsuphynhov.jpg

wowsasb

I know tag gets hate because they use generic ETA movements and charge much much more than the parts cost (just business) and don't always make the best looking watches but this looks like a really clean design actually. The calibre 5 movement seems to just be an ETA 2824 which as far as I know is not a terribly costly movement so really youre buying it for the name...

edit: the swiss 2824's on ebay are about $100-200 so if you want to spend $1200 on some stainless steel thats up to you.

Again a nice looking watch but thats what I think about it mechanically.

Edited by wowsasb

ShovelnTC

For me my only concern would be re-sale as they don't seem to hold value well, but if you keep your watches that isn't an issue.

Thelittleprince
I know tag gets hate because they use generic ETA movements and charge much much more than the parts cost (just business) and don't always make the best looking watches but this looks like a really clean design actually. The calibre 5 movement seems to just be an ETA 2824 which as far as I know is not a terribly costly movement so really youre buying it for the name...

edit: the swiss 2824's on ebay are about $100-200 so if you want to spend $1200 on some stainless steel thats up to you.

Thank you for this! Would it be worth it if i won an auction for around 1K on ebay for example?

For me my only concern would be re-sale as they don't seem to hold value well, but if you keep your watches that isn't an issue.

Lol, thats actually my biggest concern!

wowsasb

Thank you for this! Would it be worth it if i won an auction for around 1K on ebay for example?

Personally not what I would do but if you really love the design I suppose thatd be better than spending $1,500-2000

ShovelnTC

If you win it on eBay then you probably paid too much for it

Thelittleprince
If you win it on eBay then you probably paid too much for it

Lol!!! Is that a rule i missed :lol:

Honestly i simply liked the clean design! Looks like a no go for me, however i will check it out at an AD for an in the metal feel!

Thelittleprince

Just saw your edit! Thanks for that, help me with my decision!

phone

Knowing you, you flip your watches sometimes before they're even in your hands! Not sure you'd be too happy about the re-sale value!

Thelittleprince
Knowing you, you flip your watches sometimes before they're even in your hands! Not sure you'd be too happy about the re-sale value!

Thats true!!! Only thing tempting tbh is the clean design! I really like it and cant find anything similar to it :lol:

Forgot to mention to you @phone im taking a bit of a break from reps

wowsasb

I can see what you mean about the design. I feel like there are probably a good number of vintage gens that have a good clean look.

Pony up a bit more cash and go for a clean gen Rolex day date. Ive seen a ton that hover around $2k and if you are worried about holding value, Rolex's do that quite well as we have been seeing at recent auctions. Good clean vintage pieces will just become harder to find.

Thelittleprince
I can see what you mean about the design. I feel like there are probably a good number of vintage gens that have a good clean look.

Pony up a bit more cash and go for a clean gen Rolex day date. Ive seen a ton that hover around $2k and if you are worried about holding value, Rolex's do that quite well as we have been seeing at recent auctions. Good clean vintage pieces will just become harder to find.

I cant find day dates for 2k!

Daywatch

Imho definitely not worth it to get this gen. Save the money for now and someday get a vintage or new chronograph if it´s a TAG.

Designwise there is an extremely similar Seiko at a fraction of the price.

You are much better off with 2 reps and $700 in the pocket for something else (or another 2 reps).

Andylaw1919

Its a good looking watch but I would personally spend a bit more on a vintage Datejust

Genius

Go to an ad and try on the tag

It is much nicer in person than the pictures show it. A really great classy watch

Stuvetjee

you can also spend $1200 on a wooden crate with a watch and miyota called sevenfriday :lol:

Bidle

I do like the brand and they have some nice models. Nothing wrong with the movement, might be even more convenient. As it will be easy to have it serviced in the future.

Personally this model wouldn't be for me as I don't like the whole 'date section'. Somehow it attracts too much attention and spoils the balance of the dial. Than again each has his own taste.

greg_r

Tag make some very nice watches (although the Biver effect has produced a few monstrosities lately). The Cal 5 DD is a particularly elegant example IMHO, so don't listen to the haters.

My only concern would be - as others have said - that they don't hold their value as well as some other brands. Whether that matters to you, is your decision.

It's a lovely thing, though - right up there with the Pendulum as one of my favourite Tag models....

MetalMickey

I love it. I have two TAGs and as they are both keepers I don't care about the residuals. I picked both up at less than retail and that's the secret!

phone

Thats true!!! Only thing tempting tbh is the clean design! I really like it and cant find anything similar to it :lol:

Forgot to mention to you @phone im taking a bit of a break from reps

Does that mean you have any pieces to sell? :lmao:

2fake4u

Same can be said for the Tudors before they switched to in house movements and people paid twice as much for them. And i believe Tags ETA movements are elabore grade. Those can not be had for 100-200 on ebay and are more depending on where you find them.

OP I like tags. Good design, solid pieces, and can take a beating, just some of them are a little too thick for my liking for a dress watch.

Genius

Same can be said for the Tudors before they switched to in house movements and people paid twice as much for them. And i believe Tags ETA movements are elabore grade. Those can not be had for 100-200 on ebay and are more depending on where you find them.

OP I like tags. Good design, solid pieces, and can take a beating, just some of them are a little too thick for my liking for a dress watch.

Or Hublot $10k for a fucking sellita when you look at it like that TAG make bloody bargain watches

gran

It is a very nice looking TAG and well worth buying

Its because of bad people like Sharapova and TIGER people hate TAG

TAG Heuer won’t renew contract with Maria Sharapova after her dope test fail

tagheuer-sharapova-m.jpg

Tiger Woods has been dropped by Tag Heuer, another major sponsor, as he continues on his comeback from a series of alleged sex scandals and subsequent divorce.

FP_4262577_BARM_Woods_Tiger_Ad_122309.jpg

Edited by gran

Thelittleprince

Thanks for all the input fellas! I really like the watch, i plan to test it out in the metal at a Tag AD this weekend! Its definitely a no go for retail, put i think it wouldnt be a huge loss if i get it from the Grey Market!

Plus knocking out a couple hundred dollars for the rwg fam never makes me feel bad about a bit of loss!

GenTLe

I'd rather go for a Seiko Presage...

See here: http://www.creationwatches.com/products/search/results.html?search_in_description=1&keyword=Presage&os=on

This has enamel dial and is around 500$, just need to wait for the restocking:

SPB041J1_LRG.jpg

Or these. It is a Swiss brand and very well done. Known mainly in the east block of countries. Nothing to envy to a basic Tag. This is a COSC one:

id-527534125r-2b1e2ebe-e692d145.png

This not COSC:

id-517524125r-53cc5319-229a7a7e.png