Sign in to follow this  
Monkey_Business

"ETA" replicas

Monkey_Business

Hey.

So, these ETA replicas that we push extra dollar for.

I have two of them - An Audemars 15400, and a Rolex Submariner.

I have yet to open my Rolex, but the Audemars have an open caseback.

From there I can see the ETA printings, all the cogs and gears, as well as the model number. 2824-2.

I've seen a bunch of "Fake VS Gen" comparisons, and they always present the asian movement as a piece of shite with ridicolous engravings. Mine look rather neat. If I put it to my ear and listen to the "ticks", they are a lot more crisp (whilst also more silent) and more satisfying than the ones from the asian clone 2836 in my milgauss rep.

So are they gen ETA? Are they good asian replicas? Or are they "old refurbished ETA's" built together with spares from broken watches?

I sort of have my doubts about the first, since Swatch is being so restrictive about who they sell components to.

Monkey_Business

So basicly, I'm in the ETA lottery :)

BadPickle

I would say you wasted the extra $$ "upgrading" to Swiss, maybe you just got a Swiss main plate and all the rest is Asian, I'm not qualified to say, but as ETA have restricted sales to even reputable watch manufacturers, its rather unlikely they'd supply to some black market, back street factory :D

Dr Fun Socks

It might say swiss made but if also says rolex... where do the lies end!

Jibuti

there are also fake "gen" ETA printings on main plates, mind you.....

Bottom line is-you never know. Even if they say gen it can be rep mvt/plate and they know it already.... it is called "marketing"....

BadPickle

Bottom line is-you never know. Even if they say gen it can be rep mvt/plate and they know it already.... it is called "marketing"....

i can't believe the chinese factories would stoop so low as to replicate a swiss mainplate.... :huh:

Monkey_Business
It might say swiss made but if also says rolex... where do the lies end!

And all this time I thought I was buying gen bargains

i can't believe the chinese factories would stoop so low as to replicate a swiss mainplate.... :huh:

You and I both know there's a thin line between homage and replicating. They just crossed it

RUSH2112

Who says the Asian movements are shite? It's pretty unanimous here to go with the Asian clone and bypass the refurbished "Swiss."

tonyh7

If you are prepared to pay a small amount more it is possible to get a high quality genuine Swiss movement in your watch. But only by buying an inexpensive gen like a Steinhart or a Hammy.

Monkey_Business
Who says the Asian movements are shite? It's pretty unanimous here to go with the Asian clone and bypass the refurbished "Swiss."

The people who are gen-fanatics and hate us :)

BadPickle

The people who are gen-fanatics and hate us :)

Fake watches are for fake people :P

Monkey_Business

Self-appointed fake person here!

greg_r

Anybody want a fake goat then?

fake-goats.jpg

Kleen™

fake-goats.jpg

Normally I'm not into this kindathang, but my-my...that's a mighty fine lookin' goat...boots'n'all...

Bozrep

Noob Subs V6 V7 etc don't use gen eta movements unless you paid extra for it. Toro td has v7 with sellita movement at this moment. Normally the rep eta 2836 looks the same as the gen eta, but there's a small difference in the jewel clamp positioned in the adjustment part.

Jibuti

I know mate, am really sad as (probably) you too...

oh, and pigs can fly....

Jibuti

fake-goats.jpg

looks gen to me, greg......

oh, the eye-brow placement, duh!!!!

2fake4u

Id say the majority of those selling with "Genuine ETA Movements" are using refurbed since as stated, ETA is picky with who they supply new movements to.

That being said, there are places you can buy new ETA Movements in bulk for a cheap enough price to use in a watch for resale. I know, Ive bought from them.