Sign in to follow this  
Hinclimincli

What are the must-have tools for any Rep Aficionado?

Hinclimincli

Hello fellow watch fans!

There are many different profiles in this business. Some people want to show off a nice Patel, others want to have a case full of plenty of nice looking watches, but I know for a fact that many of us really like these things that go tick tock, innit? And one of the advantages of having good replicas is that you won't be messing around with a +£40k Jaeger LeCoultre but with a cloned Asian 2836.

It's almost payday so I thought it would be a good moment to start looking for some tools for this hobby.

There are plenty of kits in Amazon but all seem to lack some stuff, and some of them look like they have a ton of stuff just for the sake of it.

So my question is: which tools do you think are a must have? And where would you get them?

Thanks so much everyone!

sogeha

Sticky balls (ooh err missus) are well worth the couple of quid they cost. Other than that, buy tools you know how to use correctly on a watch and buy the best quality you can afford. Rodico is cheap and really useful.

Daffy

A set of PAM caseback openers work wonders for me. Decent screwdrivers, a good loupe, a nice dissecting microscope (which I got for $50 shipped on Ebay).

s-l500.jpg

Rower

I've found this tool the most helpful!

get-pile-of-cash-image-imagebasket-net-lvkAnL-clipart.jpg

bobandshawn

A set of PAM caseback openers work wonders for me. Decent screwdrivers, a good loupe, a nice dissecting microscope (which I got for $50 shipped on Ebay).

s-l500.jpg

Brilliant - have to get one of these!!!

B

ado213

When you get started a good set of screwdrivers. As time goes on and you gain experience a really good assortment of weighted hammers.

If you can't fix it you can always knock fuck out of it

GenTLe

Good tweezers are fundamental (these are cheap but very very good ones: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-2016-Highly-Commend-6-pcs-Safe-Anti-static-Stainless-Steel-Tweezers-Repairing-Maintenance/32660456929.html), as like as decent screwdrivers, a sharpening stone and the sharpening tool for the screwdrivers. Some silicon grease is the minimum (just to grease the gaskets). A 10x and a 20x loupe.

Then it depends what you want to do on them...

black263

Good tweezers are fundamental (these are cheap but very very good ones: https://www.aliexpre...2660456929.html), as like as decent screwdrivers, a sharpening stone and the sharpening tool for the screwdrivers. Some silicon grease is the minimum (just to grease the gaskets). A 10x and a 20x loupe.

Then it depends what you want to do on them...

Just followed the link. Item no longer available.

Rx4Time

A good spring bar tool from bergon. I've tried others but they have not held up. Also a good quality screw driver set. Mine is from wiha tools. Buying inferior quality tools will often lead to disaster and damage to your watch. I've picked up PAM and breitling caseback tool on eBay that make opening the caseback a breeze.

GenTLe

Just followed the link. Item no longer available.

Uh? I see it. EDIT: noted now "Sorry this item is no longer available"

Anyway this is the same: https://www.aliexpre...2713877304.html

Hinclimincli

Brilliant, thanks so much everyone. Will take a look on the usual eBay/Amazon channels first and Alibaba if no joy.

Thanks!