Sign in to follow this  
akadyson

Newbie starting into the rep world

akadyson

Hey Guys,

Recently starting to do some research into the rep watch game.

Thinking about ordering a Tag Carrera Calibre 16 monaco edition next week!

Will post a thread on the TD review once I Received it :)

ShovelnTC

Don't short change yourself on the research mate, the more you do the happier you'll be with your purchase.

Daywatch

Hi and welcome. If You want to listen to some tipps: don´t get an A7750 as very first rep - keep it for later. Try to go for a diver. Any of the Tudor Blackbays (close to $300 version)is a great and easy choice amongst others (don´t bother about the missing date, it ends up being fun). The Tag Aquaracer diver would be a good option too.

The cheap quartz version of the Calibre 16: it´s the only rep I´ve only worn twice for 5 minutes at home, never outside. In real life it looks like a fotocopy of a watch. Suppose the auto is much better but....

The Aquaracer with swisss ronda quartz is a great rep - same movement and functions as the gen: pics don´t tell the whole story

IMG_5482_zpsyqu2ykhc.jpg

TAGGPMonaco_2145.jpg

1024_2387.jpg

Rx4Time

If you go for a chronograph, remember to follow the basic rules to avoid breaking it. Don't set the date between 9 and 3 as the date change gears could be engaged and you can damage it. Also, never try to reset the chronograph while it's running. There should be a stop to prevent this but if it fails, you can do serious damage to the movement. I can't speak to the accuracy of the one you linked, but the gen uses a caliber 16 which is a ETA7750 that tag has modified, so as far as subdial layout and spacing it should be good. I'd check the gen as I'm not sure if the caseback says Monaco. Not really a deal breaker as how often will you show the caseback?

Monkey_Business

If you go for a chronograph, remember to follow the basic rules to avoid breaking it. Don't set the date between 9 and 3 as the date change gears could be engaged and you can damage it. Also, never try to reset the chronograph while it's running. There should be a stop to prevent this but if it fails, you can do serious damage to the movement. I can't speak to the accuracy of the one you linked, but the gen uses a caliber 16 which is a ETA7750 that tag has modified, so as far as subdial layout and spacing it should be good. I'd check the gen as I'm not sure if the caseback says Monaco. Not really a deal breaker as how often will you show the caseback?

Between 21:00 and 03:00. (Or 9PM and 3AM) - Important to precise :)

Also, when resetting the chrono (Which you shouldn't because you should not play with the chrono) make sure to do so while the chrono hand is somewhere between 50 and 10. (+/- 10 midnight)

akadyson

Well I don't really like the looks of the smaller watches, running a gen tw steel force india 45mm currently and want to get something fancier.

However the movement part does require some more research from my end.

Anyways thanks for the great answers so far, this community seems golden in my eyes!

Rx4Time

Between 21:00 and 03:00. (Or 9PM and 3AM) - Important to precise :)

Also, when resetting the chrono (Which you shouldn't because you should not play with the chrono) make sure to do so while the chrono hand is somewhere between 50 and 10. (+/- 10 midnight)

Yep, forgot to mention that! Thanks! The reason for this is there is a chance the seconds chronograph hand can slip with the fast swing back to zero. Being as close to 0 as possible reduces the speed/distance and therefore the chance of slippage.

Rx4Time
Well I don't really like the looks of the smaller watches, running a gen tw steel force india 45mm currently and want to get something fancier.

Anyways thanks for the great answers so far, this community seems golden in my eyes!

How about a breitling Steelfish or Skyland Avenger? Two very highly accurate reps...

IMG_20161019_101921_zpsupyuhzda.jpg

akadyson

How about a breitling Steelfish or Skyland Avenger? Two very highly accurate reps...

Not really my style of watches, don't really like the large bezel around the watch face.

Appreciate the brainstorming however!

As far as the 7750 movement, if you follow all precautions there is not much to worry about as long as you keep the watch in good shape, my grandparents have a watch maker as a friend so if it needs servicing it can be done in my town which is a big plus.

Any other precautions to take into account except for the certain times when you can adjust day and date? As for chrono usage I have it on my watch now, only times when I use it is when I accidentally push the button so that should be good as well in my eyes atleast.