Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: Richard Mille RM027-02 Rafael Nadal Tourbillon

_DC_

Yet another new arrival of the Richard Mille variety but this one is really rather special, for several reasons!

Firstly because no one ever thought that this model would be repped to any half decent level, mainly because it's an $800,000 watch. I'm talking of course about the RM027-02, the last in the Rafael Nadal Tourbillon range, in white carbon on orange nylon strap.

Gen for reference...

A213DE07-EF65-4B5B-88B6-0F9D0C4A405F_zpsip1umwy3.jpg

FD16F18B-6D7F-4F35-BBFE-F802EC43B7DE_zpszhv72wis.jpg

It's quite a watch, and the first incarnation of the rep just left me (and most other RM fans) cold! Terrible pattern on the carbon case, far too thick, sloppy movement decoration, and so on and so on...

FEC3147A-2BA0-4D55-A959-ADFFFA66B121_zps77w4k1oy.jpg

Pretty awful right? Second time around, however, looked to be a much better attempt, so I ordered immediately! And she arrived today...

5D6950CE-9774-4A82-8F7E-A2040C1D9C17_zpsstmcl8tx.jpg

Now let's get the first criticism out of the way, no it isn't a real tourbillon, it was never going to be, so yes all the gears and the tourbillon itself are faux... but with all these decorate AP and PP movements we can hardly complain about that, and what did we expect?!

What is impressive is just how high quality this watch feels. Ok it may not feel like $800,000 but it certainly feels expensive. I had suspected that, like a lot of RM reps, it might feel overly top heavy and the strap might be a little loose and the whole thing just feel a bit unbalanced and fragile, but this is probably one of the sturdiest feeling watches I own. The fit of the strap into the case is superb, no unsightly gaps like with the nylon straps on the RM035, and it manages to be lightweight without feeling cheap, the finish is genuinely superb!

8FEB262C-7256-4912-8F9F-2BCEC7C7CE35_zpsm4ttvxah.jpg

1DFF4D80-6E1D-4A42-B8DF-D5E796291A17_zpsetzv3lfe.jpg

... and the red band around the crown is actually rubberised rather than hard plastic as with other models, which makes for a lovely winding and setting feel.

8BFC7F1F-CA83-4C5B-826D-9FFB8A86A324_zpsxj2rfe6c.jpg

That brings me to the second thing that's special about this RM rep. It's size!!!

At 40mm diameter and 16mm thick it's the first RM rep I've owned that you could call small, and that's important for me as I have small wrists, but also important for the RM027-02 because it is a lightweight slimline sports watch and not a big tall bruiser like the RM011. 16mm isn't thin by any stretch, but compared to the RM011 and RM035 reps at 18mm plus it really does make a big difference (I'll do a side by side with my RM055 later to illustrate). This means it's the first RM rep in my opinion that you could call imminently wearable. It even fits under a French cuff for Christ's sake!

078309D7-666B-4D1F-9DA4-A3BB7C9D4095_zpsp9i5nj7w.jpg

5E0B20A0-FB69-4FED-8256-0FC4702B3164_zpscjcipqg9.jpg

6F501EA0-6A7E-4082-BEA1-9D639ADDA2C5_zpsvxjgzs7m.jpg

Then there's the carbon bezel and caseback, that all important feature that they got so horribly wrong on the first rep. Here it really is spot on, a lovely pure white with graduated black layers, and a texture that I can best compare to that of stone or perhaps bone, it's really lovely...

FA436411-629E-4EE8-B351-2ECA8F703BC4_zpsta2nk9m2.jpg

So all in all I'm pretty happy, pretending to own an $800,000 watch while driving round in my Vauxhall, hahaha! This will be a true summer watch though, teamed with shorts and t-shirt more so than shirt and trousers I suspect!!

The closest thing to an RM super rep??? That might be going a bit far, but it's certainly the best RM rep on the market at time of writing... here's waiting for the upcoming RM011, but it would have to go some to be as good as this for my wrist!!!

Thoughts from the floor?!?

DC

_DC_

As promised, some side by side shots with the RM055 for size reference. The difference in person is substantial, the RM055 is like a big white Bentley to the RM027s Lambo...

6CCD59E8-7C87-4CC3-9EDA-B02421328024_zpsixsjnzfp.jpg

2644725B-50A8-4287-A082-98A6D0B79908_zpsfi2weohl.jpg

E22F8CF2-7C21-408F-80D9-B333668526A3_zps05ue0agb.jpg

And another wrist now I'm home from work...

97D901DE-4B61-45B3-9DA8-E74327546D61_zpsrflckpkm.jpg

DC

Stewart

I was really considering this watch and this review really helps! Thanks for the review and enjoy that terrific watch!

Mr Stubbs

Thank you for the thoughtful analysis. I'd say the RM055 is more Moby Dick than Bentley, but what a great pair of watches! It's good to know I'm not alone in my appreciation of Richard Mille. :D

May I ask the dealer and price we're looking at for the 027?

Del

Wow, that does look very well produced. I'm not normally a fan of Richard Mille but there is something interesting about that one - it looks good.

Excellent review too mate. :thumbsup2:

Enjoy it often. ;)

Robin195959

Not my cup of tea DC but the build quality looks excellent.

GT86

Very sporty! Looks like you've definitely found a new niche. Wear in the rudest of health :thumbsup2:

phone

It honestly looks way more comfortable! I own a RM035 and it is already pretty nice but only 16mm thickness? This is awesome.

MAJ75

Cracking job on the review DC, the usual quality insights........

Personally I feel far safer amongst your Patek threads these RM's are a little scary for my taste.....................

Mr Stubbs

Personally I feel far safer amongst your Patek threads these RM's are a little scary for my taste.....................

Where's your sense of adventure? Every Richard Mille is like a Hollywood action movie on your wrist! :lol:

MAJ75

Where's your sense of adventure? Every Richard Mille is like a Hollywood action movie on your wrist! :lol:

LOL! that is a great response mate, I think I am far too conservative to pull one of those off but props to those who do................

wolfwood

Which of the 2 RMs have a better construction and quality feel? I'm definitely very interested in this model. Is this the best rep out of all the RM reps currently available?

_DC_

I do find my affection for Richard Mille very hard to explain or even understand myself. Given my aversion to things like the Offshore Royal Oaks and Hublots etc. But I think possibly the difference is that those watches are classic watches with sporty appendages added over the years to make them sporty, whereas Richard Mille designed his watches from the word go to be sporty, and I'm a sucker for good, purposeful design! I think technologically his watches have real merit in a way that others simply don't. Richard Mille has created a niche all of his own, with no real peers in the same league!

You've got watches like MB&F who push the envelope of high horology, but they always come across as being different just for differents sake, whereas Richard Mille aren't revolutionary, they haven't decided to reinvent the wheel because they understand that the current solution to telling the time is still by far the best, so they have focused on case and movement design, practicality, and of course materials. This RM027-02 is a perfect example of exactly those core principles!

DC

bowtiefanatc

I dig it! I've started to like these RM's more and more lately.

_DC_
Which of the 2 RMs have a better construction and quality feel? I'm definitely very interested in this model. Is this the best rep out of all the RM reps currently available?

No competition, the RM027-02 is better made and feels more solid and higher quality. If you can only have one then go for this RM027-02!!

DC

Xpletiv

So, for 800Gs you get a velcro strap........

_DC_

Pretty much!

If I'm honest though it's one of my favourite things about the watch. Firstly its supremely comfortable, considering RMs aren't exactly shrinking violets I actually forgot I had it on yesterday it's that comfortable. But secondly you get none of the draw backs of a bracelet or pin buckle strap, which are invariable either too big on one setting or too small on the next, with a velcro strap you get infinite adjustability so you can get it just right... this would be Goldilocks choice of strap for sure!!

DC

phone

Pretty much!

If I'm honest though it's one of my favourite things about the watch. Firstly its supremely comfortable, considering RMs aren't exactly shrinking violets I actually forgot I had it on yesterday it's that comfortable. But secondly you get none of the draw backs of a bracelet or pin buckle strap, which are invariable either too big on one setting or too small on the next, with a velcro strap you get infinite adjustability so you can get it just right... this would be Goldilocks choice of strap for sure!!

DC

Also that 800Gs is going to the tourbillion and gear movement that is really interesting. Plus the name of course.

Stuvetjee

nice review mate! I never knew these 027's were 40mm diameter! now i need one too lol

S.Corbeil

Very nice acquisition! I've been left cold by the first version, but seeing this new v2 iteration tickles my fancy!

How's readability on this, DC?

stormtooper4

Great write up and photos, thank you. This is the watch i want so badly

Stevestown

Nice review but the watch isn't my cup of tea

elloello
nice review mate! I never knew these 027's were 40mm diameter! now i need one too lol

The size looks great! This is the first RM which has caught my interests

@_DC_ fantastic write up & pics ;)

peteins

wow! II know i've not been on here much in the past year, but it just goes to show how dramatically peoples taste in watches can change!

Looks good though, something different that's for sure! :)

I actually really like that case material and strap combo, reminds me of a coral reef or something.

Pete

couleur

What a beauty, I would love an RM11-03, but the date wheel flaw and faux cutout dates are just a joke :( Pity they nearly got it so close

Hoping one day TDs will release the blue FC Jean Todt version.