klt11

What watch to wear to a wedding?

Kleen™
Thinking about it all, I wouldn't go for a good watch, it would look stupid wearing silver cufflinks anda tie clip with a gold watch, so I think the AP is out of the picture, a Patek with a movement or a datejust are my options I think now.

Honestly....you are way over-thinking this, dude: You got ALL the advice you could ever ask for earlier in this thread, and you're not the star of this show / wedding...wear a fucking Micky Mouse Timex if you fancy and stop worrying about it. It's only a (quasi-real) problem in your head...;)

GT86
Thinking about it all, I wouldn't go for a good watch, it would look stupid wearing silver cufflinks anda tie clip with a gold watch, so I think the AP is out of the picture, a Patek with a movement or a datejust are my options I think now.

Honestly....you are way over-thinking this, dude: You got ALL the advice you could ever ask for earlier in this thread, and you're not the star of this show / wedding...wear a fucking Micky Mouse Timex if you fancy and stop worrying about it. It's only a (quasi-real) problem in your head... ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But, but, he's planned the hairstyle and everything!

mike_morgan

Or this :P one complication wont hurt to keep you entertained if you get bored :lol:

tmp_2628-20170324_1156031069649396_zpsn5axff8l.jpg

A complication on a dress watch is just so... uncivilized...

Thats your Snobby opinion! Having a minimalist complication is not uncivilized at all, quite frankly it just shows your love for these little gadgets. A simple time only watch is a very proper dress watch don't get me wrong. But having a moonphase on a dress watch makes you uncivilized? I think you got it all wrong :) Plus in reality nobody gives a flying rats arse about whats on your wrist anyway! Heck im even wearing the moobphase with Joggers and a Tshirt as we speak, why? Because it looks good, just because its not in your how to book doesn't mean it wont work. One small complication on a dress watch with a suit is intresting.... Not uncivilized

Cheers :)

So, check it out... Two things are important in life... First, and foremost, a sense of humor goes a long way, especially on ANY forum which happens to be on the internet... I have a sense of humor... it's a good thing to carry around with you.

SECOND... SARCASM... it's GREAT stuff... I love it... I use it... I will be buried with it and will probably put some on my tombstone. If you cannot handle a guy that has a sense of humor AND a sarcastic tendency, PLEASE, do us both a favor and find some way to ignore my posts entirely. Having me around will be very frustrating for you in the long run, and I would hate to have you all butthurt because I said something that I found amusing, with no intent to harm you or your delicate ways. <---- Example of Sarcasm.

But an un-needed complication on a dress watch still is uncivilized, but hey, if you like it, by all means... be uncivilized, you have that right. <--- Example of respectful discourse.

And yes, that's my snobby opinion. I'm old... Get off my lawn. <---- Sarcasm again... stick with me and you'll get the hang of it.

Alright so you want us to know that you are funny, not to get butthurt by your bullcrap and that you are sarcastic. Thanks for letting us know :thumbsup:

Im sure high end collectors would appreciate your comment about how uncivilized they are with their stupid complications. If function is what you need and desire then get a smart watch.

Wow look at these uncivilized people! Dang.... as soon as i see those complications on their watches, i instantly thought to myself "Thanks to Mike i now know how uncivilized they are!" Sarcastic enough for ya Mikey Boy?

tmp_20463-Suit_Patek-636522688_zpswfmbw7m1.jpg

tmp_20463-64cfa056fd7b94c50661c87300116c552120792283_zpsd6epcny4.jpg

tmp_20463-Patek-Philippe-5170g-001-Chronograph-review-41492447861_zpsk7x2khox.jpg

Those are some mighty fine watches there, no doubt. And they look great with those guys in business suits, which is where they belong! Do you really not know the difference between a business suit and formal attire? (Not being sarcastic)

Wow Mike Morgan needs to go get a blowjob or something!

.................& I thought I could rant! :clap:

It's been a while.. I think I've been using my personalty as a form of birth control for way too long.

Wow Mike Morgan needs to go get a blowjob or something!

.................& I thought I could rant! :clap:

A Blowjob might be too uncivilized for him :lol:

That depends entirely on the circumstances...

All kidding aside, others in the thread have told you to not over-think it, and they are absolutely right. Follow your own sense of style, and be yourself. I think if you showed up to your friends wedding wearing a PP Grand Complications, your friend will not feel slighted in the least... it's his day, and he will be thrilled that you're there to celebrate it with him. That's all that matters. In joking around that a complicated watch is "uncivilized" it really does point out that these things can be taken to the extreme.

You need to decide what message you want to send with your choice of timepiece, and stick to it. And remember that you will not please everybody, so at the very least, please yourself. If you feel that wearing a seriously high-end complicated watch tells your friend that you "pulled out all the stops" for his big day, then that is a completely appropriate, and civilized thing to do. Conversely, if you feel that upstaging him is not the right thing to do, then an uncomplicated watch is a fine choice. ALSO, If you feel that upstaging him with an exceptional watch is even possible, rethink that... because it's his day, and all eyes will be on him and his significant other... people may never even notice your watch, in fact, they probably won't.

If you have several choices available, wear the one that makes you feel like you're proud to be there witnessing your friend take the first steps on his new journey into the next chapter in his life. I honestly feel that given how much time you have invested in the thought process thus far, that no matter what you decide you'll be making the right choice, because it's all a matter of what works best for you on your friends big day.

Hinclimincli

Any Patek with clean lines (no date) would do.

Or you could go vintage, for less than £100:

IMG_20170305_200629_658_zpsyomcf6ux.jpg

purger72

Like mentioned before it is your cousins wedding! But any watch simple like this one would go very well with the occasion!

20170404_084009_zpslchz3pp9.jpg

20170404_084020_zpsdultfia6.jpg

Strap wise, it should match color of your shoes and belt. If brown than brown strap, black/black and so on..

If you going to wedding to show off and try to impress some chics. ..well than thats another cup of tea yea.....

fcoutinho

Any Patek but if i must choose one i would go with this,.. Pure Class

Patek-Philippe-5227-On-the-Wrist.jpg

GenTLe
Go simple, thin, and understated. I would also suggest staying away from unnecessary complications, although an IWC Chrono would not look out of place in my opinion, that may be the only chrono that would work.

Definitely leather, no bracelets. I was recently looking at a suit at the Hugo Boss store and the woman there had some interesting insights. I noticed the crocodile shoes on display and mentioned they would match a watch strap I own. She claimed those shoes would never work in a formal setting and that shoes should be patent leather for weddings and the watch strap should match. I personally would not go with patent leather, but plain leather shoes, matching belt, and matching strap is best.

As far as Bond wearing a sports watch - come on, he's licensed to kill; above the law. He does not adhere to regular rules, so he can wear whatever the fuck he likes. I don't question it.

Actually purchased the suit from Hugo boss!! And wearing a beautiful pair of brogue wing tips from Lloyds shoes

Uh oh...Not Hugo 'SS Boss?! Better make it a Glashutte then!

1933_hugo_boss_collection.jpg

Sorry to piss on your strawberries!

Naa, they go fine with this pam:

Kampfschimmer+Panerai.jpg

:giggle:

LightGeek

Depends on your outfit. If it's like this, then a TT DateJust on jubilee with diamonds works.

IMG_1974.jpg

Kleen™

Wow look at these uncivilized people! Dang.... as soon as i see those complications on their watches, i instantly thought to myself "Thanks to Mike i now know how uncivilized they are!" Sarcastic enough for ya Mikey Boy?

Sarcasm is only valid as genuinely qualifiable sarcasm, when it comes wrapped in that 'je ne sais quois' subtle surface. Please try again...

mike_morgan

Sarcasm is only valid as genuinely qualifiable sarcasm, when it comes wrapped in that 'je ne sais quois' subtle surface. Please try again...

The little fella doesn't know the difference between a business suit and formal wear, how would we expect him to master sarcasm, which is the formal wear of humor...

It would have helped if his argument had a shred of validity as well, but hey, ya have to give him credit for trying!

James.

Wear whatever you want. It's not your wedding, nor is it likely to be white tie.

preppyr6

At this point Im convinced the only person this would matter to at a wedding is someone else on this forum...

mike_morgan

At this point Im convinced the only person this would matter to at a wedding is someone else on this forum...

Yeah, you're absolutely right... there ARE some rules of fashion, like, never wear white after Labor Day, but then again, we live in a world where individuality means breaking the rules to be "ironic". So, yeah... Personally I've never spent all that much time deciding what watch I will wear at a special occasion, I grab the one that looks best to me at the time I'm getting dressed.

Interesting thing though, I have several oddball gen watches and THOSE are the ones that get noticed at events and parties. People hardly ever notice a Submariner, but a Padget & Ingalls Kitty Hawk or a Vostok Red Square FREQUENTLY get noticed... go figure.

Kahunaa

You can never go wrong with a pam

One of these? :D

331eiwm.jpg

Or a moonphase!

Or how about a Panerai Luminor Due!

edwinowl

Got married myself Friday and wore this polar explorer 2 gen

N3KT7z.jpg

Congratulations!

Bloody hell I missed that Grats!

giphy.gif

I think most people did! Figured he deserved a reply ;)

Cheers chaps, in Venice on my honeymoon now going on the watch shop hunt today. :lol:

klt11

You know what I think it is, I think it's just an excuse to buy another watch, I have a beautiful Patek I could wear but I just have a sudden urge to buy something else...and the wedding is a good excuse

Edited by kosta43

mike_morgan

You know what I think it is, I think it's just an excuse to buy another watch, I have a beautiful Patek I could wear but I just have a sudden urge to buy something else...and the wedding is a good excuse

Who could argue with that? We ALL like buying watches, and any excuse will do!

Boycie
KjdUTzS.jpg

nivka

Vintage omega would be nice. I picked up a 70s Geneve for a couple hundred

deju

Over think it! don't listen to them!

if you want to over think it over think it, these are the same folk that get nit picky about the font type on the movement on a fake watch with a solid case back hahahaha.

If you are going to the effort of getting a nice suit then yes it's all in the small details.

RussP

Why not get something that will get you to the church (or wherever it's been held) on time?

klt11
Why not get something that will get you to the church (or wherever it's been held) on time?

I hear an iwatch is accurate

chats

cartier santos, cartier tank, or cartier baloon belu would be good i think

dilip

I believe the name you're looking for is Balloon Belly?

Kleen™

I believe the name you're looking for is Balloon Belly?

Do you, now...I guess that leaves Ballon Bleu totally out of the list of options, then...;)