Sign in to follow this  
Nikola Tesla

Kids, don't try this at home ...

Nikola Tesla

Sometimes I just don't feel like dragging out my trusty Timegrapher T1000 and setting it up to check the calibration on a watch. This got me wondering if there might be an app for a smartphone that's able to do this with a little less fuss. As it turns out, there is, and the app I settled on is from THESE GUYS.

But here's the rub - it only works with a suitable microphone or sensor. I thought a piezo guitar pickup would do the trick if I stuck it in a little hobby box and ran it into a microphone preamp before connecting to the mic input of my phone. The project was more involved than I would have liked, but turned out pretty cool. This is the mic preamp kit that I bought ...

01%20Mic%20Preamp%20Kit.jpg

And here's a shot of the guts of little beat amplifier box after everything was installed ...

02%20Box%20components.jpg

A beauty shot from the top ...

03%20Beat%20Amp%20Top.JPG

Here's a shot of the unit timing my BR02 ...

04%20Test%20in%20Progress.JPG

And a close-up of the display on my phone ...

05%20Smartphone%20App%20Display.jpg

The app enables me to add watches to my database and save timing runs for replay later. Also, the graph auto-scales based on how fast or slow a watch is running, and the color of the graph line changes to indicate how good (green), average (orange), or bad (red) things are going. :)

Pretty cool little app. It won't replace my T1000, but it's great for when I'm feeling too lazy to haul out the Big Gun. :bounce:

Cheers!

T-

:sillywalk:

BabaNJ

Oh what lengths we go through to feed our ocd's ummm i mean our watch hobby. Good work bro.

wolfwood
a_mind_for_adventure_by_phantombladev18.jpg

ryaku

I wish I could that myself.

Good job!