Sign in to follow this  
WatchaholicMallorca

What are factories doing with the Daytona!?

WatchaholicMallorca

As a massive Daytona fan I don't understand why every factory continuely bring our new variations of the timebomb Daytona? JF factory brought out the 23J but only in black, white and Platinum variations were released. Why don't factories make other variations with the 23j movement!?

Trusty has already listed the new Basel 2017 Oysterflex daytona with the 7750 movement http://www.ttw-138.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=16859

Can't help but think how many more watches these factories would sell if they simply took out the Chrono.....

Rant over.

Genius

Peoples dont like fake complications

Chiquita Fanjita

I'm more shocked at the painting on the bezel :o

G_sus

I'm still on the hunt for a daytona with a VK Quartz

Seems the least compromise....

ShovelnTC

I don't buy anything with faux functions and never buy anything with 7750 movements due to possible problems so my choice is unfortunately very limited :(

I too wish a decent chrono movement was available at a reasonable price.

WatchaholicMallorca

True but I'd say 80% of the Daytonas I've seen on here are JF 23js. I'd say people prefer fake complications over time bomb movements

Diver Dave

True but I'd say 80% of the Daytonas I've seen on here are JF 23js. I'd say people prefer fake complications over time bomb movements

People don't buy either.....

Dave

dcharper18
People don't buy either..... Dave .

Is the Asian 23j movement a "timebomb" because it is likely to die quickly? I'm about to order a regmariner with a 21j movement, but I've gotten so many positive remarks and recommendations; many folks have said not to worry about the movement, as I was initially looking to get a watch with an ETA clone.

And I would definitely NEVER buy a watch with fake complications. I wouldn't be able to bear seeing it on my wrist.

Chavezzito

I´m just amazed that it doesnt have in the description that a real was completely dissected in order to do the rep...I read that there is a 8 year long waiting list for the 2017 Daytonas :salute:

Dont know if it´s true though.

Chiquita Fanjita

People don't buy either.....

Dave

Well obviously they do or there would be no rep Daytona owners :facepalm:

Is the Asian 23j movement a "timebomb" because it is likely to die quickly? I'm about to order a regmariner with a 21j movement, but I've gotten so many positive remarks and recommendations; many folks have said not to worry about the movement, as I was initially looking to get a watch with an ETA clone.

And I would definitely NEVER buy a watch with fake complications. I wouldn't be able to bear seeing it on my wrist.

21j movement is fine as is the ETA clone.

As for never buying a watch with fake complications, why not? Are you actually going to use the chrono? I have had a lot of PAM's and AP's with 7750 movements and never use the chrono on them as there is just no need. I know loads of members never use the Chrono's on theirs either.

dcharper18
People don't buy either..... Dave .
Well obviously they do or there would be no rep Daytona owners :facepalm:
Is the Asian 23j movement a "timebomb" because it is likely to die quickly? I'm about to order a regmariner with a 21j movement, but I've gotten so many positive remarks and recommendations; many folks have said not to worry about the movement, as I was initially looking to get a watch with an ETA clone. And I would definitely NEVER buy a watch with fake complications. I wouldn't be able to bear seeing it on my wrist.
21j movement is fine as is the ETA clone. As for never buying a watch with fake complications, why not? Are you actually going to use the chrono? I have had a lot of PAM's and AP's with 7750 movements and never use the chrono on them as there is just no need. I know loads of members never use the Chrono's on theirs either.

You know, when you mention it, I definitely verry rarely use my chronos on my watches. I think maybe it would just be a principle thing? I can't even really tell why I'm against it, but I think you may have just changed my mind here haha!

WatchaholicMallorca

I had a working chrono Patek and never used the chrono once, and had a platona 23j and didn't miss not having it. I'd rather have gen thickness over a useless working chrono and timebomb movement that's for sure !

ffuhcu

My guess is for the wider market, working complications are important, hence Noob investing in a 4130 clone.

ffuhcu

I know for me I held off on the IWC 3714 until there were gen thickness working chrono versions and would likely pick up a Daytona the same, giving the 21J a miss for now.

(Couldn't edit previous post)

GenTLe

21J & 23J are fine. I don't like the movement of the second hand (if it's a normal big one and not a small subdial one) on them, but they're ok.

The problem comes with certain modifications they did to some movements. For instance the Daytona has a 7750 modified to put the running seconds at 6 and this is long term not so reliable, other than add a good 3mm to the thickness of the original watch.

Fake complications are sometimes a good compromise. Before the "real PR big pilot" appeared I got a BP with a fake PR, and it's more than fine as it is :)

The problem with 23J Daytona (that strongly prevented me to even consider them) is that the subdials at 3 and 9 are not just fake, but they often are not at 0 position and you can't even put them at 0 using the pushers (that simply do nothing).

Similar stuff for the latest Omega PO Chrono (like the one below): if the subdials at 3 had the hands at 0 it would have a sense, but at 3:00 it's just stupid

IMG_2037-1024x768.jpg

k3rm87

I came across a VK Quartz Daytona in Thailand a few years ago, problem is it had ticking seconds at 6 from memory.... Should have pounced on it.

WatchaholicMallorca

21J & 23J are fine. I don't like the movement of the second hand (if it's a normal big one and not a small subdial one) on them, but they're ok.

The problem comes with certain modifications they did to some movements. For instance the Daytona has a 7750 modified to put the running seconds at 6 and this is long term not so reliable, other than add a good 3mm to the thickness of the original watch.

Fake complications are sometimes a good compromise. Before the "real PR big pilot" appeared I got a BP with a fake PR, and it's more than fine as it is :)

The problem with 23J Daytona (that strongly prevented me to even consider them) is that the subdials at 3 and 9 are not just fake, but they often are not at 0 position and you can't even put them at 0 using the pushers (that simply do nothing).

Similar stuff for the latest Omega PO Chrono (like the one below): if the subdials at 3 had the hands at 0 it would have a sense, but at 3:00 it's just stupid

IMG_2037-1024x768.jpg

Yeah not quite sure why the subdials aren't at 0, not sure why they do that, but that's China for you

dcharper18
Is the Asian 23j movement a "timebomb" because it is likely to die quickly? I'm about to order a regmariner with a 21j movement, but I've gotten so many positive remarks and recommendations; many folks have said not to worry about the movement, as I was initially looking to get a watch with an ETA clone. And I would definitely NEVER buy a watch with fake complications. I wouldn't be able to bear seeing it on my wrist.
21J & 23J are fine. I don't like the movement of the second hand (if it's a normal big one and not a small subdial one) on them, but they're ok. The problem comes with certain modifications they did to some movements. For instance the Daytona has a 7750 modified to put the running seconds at 6 and this is long term not so reliable, other than add a good 3mm to the thickness of the original watch. Fake complications are sometimes a good compromise. Before the "real PR big pilot" appeared I got a BP with a fake PR, and it's more than fine as it is :) The problem with 23J Daytona (that strongly prevented me to even consider them) is that the subdials at 3 and 9 are not just fake, but they often are not at 0 position and you can't even put them at 0 using the pushers (that simply do nothing). Similar stuff for the latest Omega PO Chrono (like the one below): if the subdials at 3 had the hands at 0 it would have a sense, but at 3:00 it's just stupid IMG_2037-1024x768.jpg
Yeah not quite sure why the subdials aren't at 0, not sure why they do that, but that's China for you

Wow, yeah, that really sucks. I may have changed my mind on fake complications, but if the hands weren't at 0 or 12, then I think I'd go crazy looking at it all day.

JSJ

I came across a VK Quartz Daytona in Thailand a few years ago, problem is it had ticking seconds at 6 from memory.... Should have pounced on it.

The quartz movements have wrong subdial spacing for most watches which offends my eye. Now. Before I went OCD on watches I would have had absolutely no idea what the subdial spacing should be.

Duzza

The best solution for the Daytona is by far the 23J faux chrono. Its slimmer so you dont get the ridiculously bulky A7750 case and you avoid the movement issues at the same time. As an owner of a gen Daytona I never use the chrono anyway.

WatchaholicMallorca

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly! Trouble is he 23j only comes in SS.....

dilip

The day I can afford a gen Daytona I would use the chrono all the time, every single day. But I love the chrono as a complication, especially column wheels. Maybe a modern Daytona rep should consider skipping the automatic rotor in favor of slimming the case down? I don't mind manual winding.

Stuvetjee

patience everyone. JF is working on a 4130 clone as is Noob. In a couple of months we will see more 23J color variations of JF.

Dr_Rolex
patience everyone. JF is working on a 4130 clone as is Noob. In a couple of months we will see more 23J color variations of JF.

Hope it's soon!! I've been wanting a Daytona for years now and with the new Basel pieces that came out I'm almost daring to pull the trigger on the "white" gold with black oyster flex from BP BUT I know better..so I'm waiting on noob to give us something good :)