Sign in to follow this  
dcharper18

I'm SO torn in choosing my first rep!

dcharper18

So, to give y'all a little background, I found the rep world (RWG) and all of you wonderful community members after I fell in love with a Datejust II 116334 (silver dial, blue arabic numerals, fluted bezel) and got laughed at when I told my wife it was 9 grand....yeah right...we're building a house at the moment, so the thought was laughable.

Moving on, I found some really good looking Datejust II reps, but it seems like the blue numerals might not be quite there yet; they seem a little too green and I heard from PC that they don't have any lume yet.

Enter the Submariner: Searched sub and got like 10 million hits of members asking the classic "who has the best sub?" and it got me thinking, there must be something special about this watch; I must love it! I went and tried on a gen and, no surprise, I loved it. Now I'm looking at a Noob V5 Sub-C with date from TSWatch for around $240+ship. However, I reached out to BK and he can mod me up a V5 with asian clone, although he said their datewheels are too hit or miss for him to be able to do an asian clone with date, so with the BK, I would have to go no-date for $300.

To sum up, I'm extremely torn, as I'll likely only be able to swing one rep this year, due to the whole "building a house" thing (we close in June).

Here are my options:

BP Datejust II with Asian ETA from MR: $248

NOOB V5 Black Sub-C no-date from BK: $300

Noob V5 Black Sub-C with date from TSWatch: $240

A couple sleepers (I've been obsessed with Big Pilot's since I found watches): ZF All Ceramic Big Pilot working power reserve from TS: $310

YL Big Pilot with cheapo asian 21J but working reserve from TS: $240

A sweeping seconds hand is really important to me, so I'm trying to stay away from the Asian 21J 21000bph movements.

Anyway, thank you all for putting up with my rant about my indecisiveness, you folks have been the BOMB in welcoming me into this wonderful world of reps.

Dan

dcharper18

AHH I literally just got a reply from Reg about a Regmariner...only $155 after shipping...21J movement though, but I've heard really good things about the Regmariner and they seem to look decent.

dcharper18

a Sub is the beginning in most cases, and allways a good choice, an ap 15400 ss black is also a classic and good Addition to that.

I have to say, the AP 15400 SS Black was 100% on my radar for my first purchase as well, I just didn't want to bog you all down with everything that went through my head haha. Which would you recommend for the AP? Man I love that watch.

greg_r

AHH I literally just got a reply from Reg about a Regmariner...only $155 after shipping...21J movement though, but I've heard really good things about the Regmariner and they seem to look decent.

You won't go far wrong with a regmariner, mate.

Chiruku

You cannot go wrong with a Regmariner - for the money they are top draw. As a first rep choice, it would get my vote.

(^ The Boss beat me to it :D )

Abe Fromen

I have a SD4000 from Reg that I've had Kenny mod with lume, matte dial spray and epoxied He valve, greased seals, etc. LOVE it - two years as my most worn watch and looks the business!

That said, I've had a few Big Pilots over the years and while I love it for likely the same reasons you do, I found it rather big and not the best for most situations. If you want the same big-ish dial with the very prominent sweeping seconds hand, consider an IWC MKXVII or MKXVIII. All the pizazz of the BP but at 42mm and much slimmer.

Edited by Abe Fromen

rusty peters

I second the Regmariner. You can get the black, the green or the blue. Don't be spooked by the 21j movement. The sweep is pretty darn good and you really have to look for the differences between the 21,600bph and the 28,800bph movements. No worries. You will be in good hands and you will be blown away by what you get for $155 delivered.

dcharper18
I second the Regmariner. You can get the black, the green or the blue. Don't be spooked by the 21j movement. The sweep is pretty darn good and you really have to look for the differences between the 21,600bph and the 28,800bph movements. No worries. You will be in good hands and you will be blown away by what you get for $155 delivered.

All the love for Reg I'm seeing here may have just made up my mind for me! This comment really put me over the top though, actually hearing that the 21J movement has a decent sweep that should satisfy my cravings. My very first move into becoming obsessed with watches was a Shinola Runwell 47 Chrono in rose gold that cost me like $750, then I started learning and have been DYING for a mechanical watch with a good sweep that will get me that feeling I'm looking for...Do I regret the Shinola? Why yes, yes I do.

Abe Fromen
Do I regret the Shinola? Why yes, yes I do.

Don't fret... we've all been there. Hell my first 'real watch' was a $1000 TAG Heuer Kirium. Quartz and small. I bought in to the marketing hype and sold it soon thereafter and got myself a gen Rolex ExpII.

Rokerite

I get the impression that people assume a "low beat 2813" such as a Regmariner ticks once a second like a quartz. It doesn't, it beats 6 times a second compared to 8 beats a second on higher beat watches. I have both and while I admit the 28,800 is "smoother" unless you really are looking it's not that noticable in my opinion.

GT86

Regmariner all the way! Unless your willing to go past the $400 mark for your first sub...?

2470f2.8ii

Buy them all, c&r the ones that don't tickle your pickle. PROBLEM SOLVED

Kleen™

Cheap. Fast. Good.

Normally mutually exclusive, but not in the case of the Regmariner. Go for it - best way to test the waters out...

Kleen™

PS: Shit & Shinola, perchance...?

br8507

My buddy has the Regmariner and that's what has me started down this path

dcharper18

Alright folks, I think after reading this thread, the decision is simple: Go with the Regmariner!

I'm going to order today, but now the true question is which color!?!?! I love the Hulk, but I think it might get old/stick out with what I'm wearing.

I have blue eyes that really go well with blue things, and often wear blue shirts/ALWAYS wear bluejeans, so perhaps the smurf would be a good pick.

The black is so iconic and classic; smooth and goes with anything. I'm leaning toward black, but do any of y'all absolutely love your smurfs or hulks?

Dan

Rokerite

Got them all and the no date, you won't be disappointed with any of them. Buy one, then at a later date get the others. As Kleen said cheap, fast, good. Reg is very good to deal with also.

NCRich

Regmariners are good. If I wanted a smooth sweep, with what is purported to be "the best sub" I'd get the noob V7 with 2836. Marvellous Replica has it for $300 on sale. Hard to imagine that doesn't tick every box. Or do like a lot of people and work your way up to that.

You know you must have "the best sub"

BadPickle

It's like an "all you can eat buffet here" :lol:

dcharper18
Got them all and the no date, you won't be disappointed with any of them. Buy one, then at a later date get the others. As Kleen said cheap, fast, good. Reg is very good to deal with also.

I like this idea, I'll probably start with the black date, move up to the Noob V7, or whatever V9 by then haha.

Rokerite

Before we descend into the best sub argument we all know that Rolex in Geneva has the best sub. They are quite pricey though lol

NCRich

I don't know, I've eaten a LOT of subs in my day.

Abe Fromen

:giggle:

GenTLe
Which would you recommend for the AP? Man I love that watch.

JFactory. From any TD.

BadPickle

I can tell from your holiday (vacation) pics ;)