Sign in to follow this  
dcharper18

I'm SO torn in choosing my first rep!

Operator#6

I think the no date Regmariner is the best money to watch value in the rep world.

Kleen™
I think the no date Regmariner is the best money to watch value in the rep world.

I totally agree: It was one of my very first purchases, when entering repdom many years back. I bought it 2'nd hand for absolute peanuts, and I was...still am... absolutely stunned by how much watch I got for such a tiny outlay. But please don't ask me identify the specific version/iteration it is, because I have absolutely no fucking clue...

dcharper18

Alright folks, I did it. Just paid Reg! I will get back to everyone with a review on his feedback page when I receive the watch!

Helmut Wong

Noob v7 no date black sub from toro

Can't go wrong

Genius
Noob v7 no date black sub from toro

Can't go wrong

:facepalm:

mike_morgan

All the love for Reg I'm seeing here may have just made up my mind for me! This comment really put me over the top though, actually hearing that the 21J movement has a decent sweep that should satisfy my cravings. My very first move into becoming obsessed with watches was a Shinola Runwell 47 Chrono in rose gold that cost me like $750, then I started learning and have been DYING for a mechanical watch with a good sweep that will get me that feeling I'm looking for...Do I regret the Shinola? Why yes, yes I do.

Don't regret the Shinola, it got you started! A watch with a lifetime warranty is a great thing to have

A big part of the fun of Gen watches is the story behind the company, and the Shinola story is an AMAZING one. The whole Detroit/Shinola connection has brought a limited level of watchmaking BACK to the USA on a production scale, where jobs are a precious thing in an area that has been on decline for quite a while. I would feel VERY good about having a Shinola because of the social and financial impact provided to an area of the USA in desperate need of help.

Edited by mike_morgan

jamesezra

Alright folks, I did it. Just paid Reg! I will get back to everyone with a review on his feedback page when I receive the watch!

Good choice! Regmariners are the bomb when it comes to value-for-money. I once had the V7 NoDate and loved it! Pity it was moved on for better things now.

JF for APs.... try out the RG Black dial... Godfathar has a review on it in the AP sub-forum.

dcharper18
I get the impression that people assume a "low beat 2813" such as a Regmariner ticks once a second like a quartz. It doesn't, it beats 6 times a second compared to 8 beats a second on higher beat watches. I have both and while I admit the 28,800 is "smoother" unless you really are looking it's not that noticable in my opinion.

I definitely knew it didn't tick once per second like my Shinola, but I didn't quite realize just how close it is to the 28800bph, only being 6bpm rather than 8. I'm pretty happy to hear that and I think it'll be a huge step in fulfilling my obsession with mechanical watches (literally this will be my first mechanical watch; after 6 months of obsessive online shopping and research haha)

dcharper18

All the love for Reg I'm seeing here may have just made up my mind for me! This comment really put me over the top though, actually hearing that the 21J movement has a decent sweep that should satisfy my cravings. My very first move into becoming obsessed with watches was a Shinola Runwell 47 Chrono in rose gold that cost me like $750, then I started learning and have been DYING for a mechanical watch with a good sweep that will get me that feeling I'm looking for...Do I regret the Shinola? Why yes, yes I do.

Don't regret the Shinola, it got you started! A watch with a lifetime warranty is a great thing to have

A big part of the fun of Gen watches is the story behind the company, and the Shinola story is an AMAZING one. The whole Detroit/Shinola connection has brought a limited level of watchmaking BACK to the USA on a production scale, where jobs are a precious thing in an area that has been on decline for quite a while. I would feel VERY good about having a Shinola because of the social and financial impact provided to an area of the USA in desperate need of help.

Thanks for getting my chin up, sir!! I really do appreciate the quality of the watch and it is really quite beautiful

media_zpszxuqaawz.jpg

watch1_zpsuvbwpusp.jpg

Edited by dcharper18

GenTLe
I get the impression that people assume a "low beat 2813" such as a Regmariner ticks once a second like a quartz. It doesn't, it beats 6 times a second compared to 8 beats a second on higher beat watches. I have both and while I admit the 28,800 is "smoother" unless you really are looking it's not that noticable in my opinion.

I definitely knew it didn't tick once per second like my Shinola, but I didn't quite realize just how close it is to the 28800bph, only being 6bpm rather than 8. I'm pretty happy to hear that and I think it'll be a huge step in fulfilling my obsession with mechanical watches (literally this will be my first mechanical watch; after 6 months of obsessive online shopping and research haha)

YouTube, search 21600 vs 28800 and look​ yourself how they are :)

dcharper18

YouTube, search 21600 vs 28800 and look yourself how they are :)

Wow yeah, really not bad at all. The 28800 definitely looks SUPER smooth, but the 21600 isn't too far behind. In other words, I can dig it.

Kleen™

YouTube, search 21600 vs 28800 and look yourself how they are :)

Wow yeah, really not bad at all. The 28800 definitely looks SUPER smooth, but the 21600 isn't too far behind. In other words, I can dig it.

...and then there's the old Seiko 36600vph

mike_morgan

Thanks for getting my chin up, sir!! I really do appreciate the quality of the watch and it is really quite beautiful

The Shinola is a wonderful timepiece, and quartz watches have their place in the world... You've got a working chrono that isn't a time-bomb which, from what I gather, is pretty hard to find in the rep world unless you go to quartz... The styling is impeccable, the fit and finish is excellent. A watch need not say "Rolex" on it to be worthy of ownership.

It's a genuine watch from a relatively new maker... and it's a really nice piece! Your chin should not have been down in the first place!

Mike on a bike

Do not worry about one Shinola, I had a box full of gens before I found my way..............

dcharper18

The Shinola is a wonderful timepiece, and quartz watches have their place in the world... You've got a working chrono that isn't a time-bomb which, from what I gather, is pretty hard to find in the rep world unless you go to quartz... The styling is impeccable, the fit and finish is excellent. A watch need not say "Rolex" on it to be worthy of ownership.

It's a genuine watch from a relatively new maker... and it's a really nice piece! Your chin should not have been down in the first place!

Thanks for that! I really do agree it is an absolute beauty. Great chronograph, even has the option to hit reset while running and stop the seconds, then hit it again and it will jump to the elapsed time. I will definitely be keeping it forever as the first watch that plunged me into this world (all I do in my spare time is read this forum and look at gen and rep watches...literally, it drives my wife crazy)

I also just realized that I took my wrist check pic at exactly the one minute mark...pretty impressive, if I say so myself.

Kleen™

Thanks for that! I really do agree it is an absolute beauty. Great chronograph, even has the option to hit reset while running and stop the seconds, then hit it again and it will jump to the elapsed time. I will definitely be keeping it forever as the first watch that plunged me into this world (all I do in my spare time is read this forum and look at gen and rep watches...literally, it drives my wife crazy)

I also just realized that I took my wrist check pic at exactly the one minute mark...pretty impressive, if I say so myself.

...until that one day, when female curiosity forces her to set up her own RWG account and start stalking you to find out what the fuck it is all about..:popcorn:

dcharper18

...until that one day, when female curiosity forces her to set up her own RWG account and start stalking you to find out what the fuck it is all about.. :popcorn:

HAA man, that would be the day...she has zero understanding of my obsession. She was bewildered that I was still constantly looking at watches after dropping a grand on the Shinola! I have tried to convey to her that the Shinola was only the beginning of a lifelong trend

dcharper18

Good choice! Regmariners are the bomb when it comes to value-for-money. I once had the V7 NoDate and loved it! Pity it was moved on for better things now.

JF for APs.... try out the RG Black dial... Godfathar has a review on it in the AP sub-forum.

The JF APs do really look near-perfect. I love the black dial with RG, but I've been curious; how does rep RG hold up? Like would the coating start to come off after a year or so if I were to get that JF RG AP RO? (acronym city over here)