Sign in to follow this  
pip

Real or fake. Hard to spot the difference for non knowers these days.

pip

51360CE1-A868-45E6-9E04-55D240EBD230_zps50ikxa1t.jpg

Its getting harder and harder to see what is fake and real.

This is a picture from an authorized watch dealer asking why should you buy the real deal when you can get something almost similar to 1/10 of the price.

What is your opinion gents & girls. Happy Easter!

Edited by pip

tagr

Which one is the real one?

fatarms

Pretty easy to spot the rep vs. Gen in this one in my opinion. Better bezel insert engravings, sharper crown teeth, sharper bezel cuts along the edge along with the dial font jumped out. But that's side by side, without the gen next to it, it'd be harder to pick out.

pip

Tagr@. Not gonna tell but most of the people in this forum can see it on the spot :-)

Damage

Yea, I may be a newbie, but I think I can spot that one myself.

RussP

Y'mean it's the one in focus, don't you ?

Mike on a bike

We are anal, on the wrist you can wear just about any decent rep and get by.

Left Coast Guy

Pretty easy to spot the rep vs. Gen in this one in my opinion. Better bezel insert engravings, sharper crown teeth, sharper bezel cuts along the edge along with the dial font jumped out. But that's side by side, without the gen next to it, it'd be harder to pick out.

And I'd suggest that's not a very good rep...

Psssniper

New to the rep world so I literally am the uneducated idiot

I'm gonna guess that B is the gen

Somebody PM me with my test results

AJB2

To my eye I don't know which is which...But I don't claim to be much of an expert. For 1/10 of the price I would go rep all the way.

Compared to what was on the market 10 years ago, the reps have come on a long long way.

Nickfive

yep easy spot IMO, bezel makes it obvious :)

dilip

Surely it's not a Rolex AD questioning the purchase of a gen?

Genius

Stick a noob v7 alongside the gen and it gets considerably harder

BadPickle

I think the time has come where the rep is better than the gen, it was predicted, right here on this forum.

narikaa

And he paid 1/10 of the price of a gen for it?

Does he want any more?

;)

deju

Why put one out of focus?!

I reckon it's the gen on a rep bracelet and rep on a gen bracelet. Haha

The real question is why would you buy (exception vintage/military/5513) a Rolex dive watch, when it's a bit boring and loved by the great unwashed :lmao:

pstar_1980

Agreed, it's hard to tell the difference between gen or fake for popular timepieces (at least), however the picture above is slightly skewed due to the light angle as you can tell due to the light-flash near the no. '20' on the bezel. But from what @fatarms picked up in the earlier comment, it's spot on. The gen is picture 'B'.

Edited by watchdealer

markeym3

And he paid 1/10 of the price of a gen for it?

Does he want any more?

;)

Agree sounds like he paid too much..

Pazzaar

Non knowers always know, they'll pick up your watch in the palm of their hands as if it is some calibrated scale and proclaim "Yeah it doesn't feel right", never mind the fact that the bezel teeth are sharp enough to cut through flesh.

Hinclimincli

Well, to "really" spot the difference they should post a gen Vs rep 20 years after. And after going more than 50m underwater, or keeping COSC parameters after ten years. See which one can you pass over to your son.

Other than that... Go rep! ;-)

narikaa

Non knowers always know, they'll pick up your watch in the palm of their hands as if it is some calibrated scale and proclaim "Yeah it doesn't feel right", never mind the fact that the bezel teeth are sharp enough to cut through flesh.

The street hawkers green light

See this in Thailand a lot with the street prowlers and their zippered folders of terrible reps

The foreign mark selects one and once having assumed a half-witted imperious look gauges it's weight in his hand.

The hawker immediately knows he's eating today having found himself another idiot

Foxindebox
Well, to "really" spot the difference they should post a gen Vs rep 20 years after. And after going more than 50m underwater, or keeping COSC parameters after ten years. See which one can you pass over to your son.

Other than that... Go rep! ;-)

I'd be surprised to see any unserviced watch keeping COSC timing after 10 years. But agreed :)

lapinobel

Are there any detailed pics around comparing a v7 sub to the gen, maybe even the BK one? Just curious what the tells would be. I have a BK v7 sub now and it looks amazing but no way that I'm gonna wear it when visiting an AD to compare it to the gen. It's still a far away dream for me to once buy a gen submariner. Money isn't exactly (well a bit) the object per sé (I can save up for it) but just the thought of spending so much on a gen when the rep is SO close.

shannonflynn

Well comparing to my genuine Smp they are almost spot on.

trailboss99

Put a better bezel on that and who would know? Frighteningly close.

Agreed, it's hard to tell the difference between gen or fake for popular timepieces (at least), however the picture above is slightly skewed due to the light angle as you can tell due to the light-flash near the no. '20' on the bezel. But from what @fatarms picked up in the earlier comment, it's spot on. The gen is picture 'B'.

And I bet quite a few dealers would be fooled by that with an A3135 in it unless they had the gen on hand.