_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: AP Royal Oak 15202 automatic

Synfreaker

Thanks DC, I definitely am looking to pick one of these up myself and this looks fantastic, my wallet however does not thank you....

wdev

Great review and thanks for the time put into this. I always liked the Royal Oak line.

That slim size is a true achievement for the factory.

Wear it well!

Nnilswerdna

That is how to review a watch.

Brilliant contribution as always DC. :)

Foxindebox

Just received my one and I must say, I'm more than a little disappointed with the quality of the bracelet... it's not particularly flexible around the lug ends and is pretty rough. I have asked the TD to try and source a TF 15400 bracelet to replace it (as I tried one from my other Royal Oak. I would advise people to bear this in mind before pulling the trigger, as those with larger wrists may be unhappy as to how it sits on the wrist. :(

spacecat

Just received my one and I must say, I'm more than a little disappointed with the quality of the bracelet... it's not particularly flexible around the lug ends and is pretty rough. I have asked the TD to try and source a TF 15400 bracelet to replace it (as I tried one from my other Royal Oak. I would advise people to bear this in mind before pulling the trigger, as those with larger wrists may be unhappy as to how it sits on the wrist. :(

Interesting.. can you share side-by-side photos of both your ROs to illustrate your point?

Thanks

BMagic

Several years i don't read this forum, and i found this review, of this clock...

Call it fate!

thank you _DC_

Mattcrx

WOW WOW WOW!!!! DC!!!! What a thread!!!

I remember me and you chatting about the old Quartz a while back when I purchase it and iv ALWYAS dreampt about an automatic version! I can't believe this is finally out!!!

What TD did you get this from?! I'm Putting an order in now!

Thanks DC!

Mattcrx

I had this problem when I purchased the old quartz model... bracelet was horrendous... are we sure the 15400 bracelet fits?

Foxindebox

Interesting.. can you share side-by-side photos of both your ROs to illustrate your point?

Thanks

Sure thing

15202 Bracelet

10D74F18-D4F3-46D5-A2B5-C7BA333CE012_zpscumfclej.jpg

TF 15000 Bracelet

02FC175A-0838-4F6A-9F94-D36AC7FD2A2C_zps75rgdeig.jpg

I fitted the TF bracelet successfully to the 15202 so have bought one m2m.

_DC_

Good to know the TF will fit if needed! Mine is fairly inflexible too, though not found it an issue in terms of fit on the wrist, possibly because my wrists are smaller?!? it's very similar to how a Nautilus rep bracelet sits, quite tight and doesn't collapse!

With any luck they'll get this right on the new Nautilus rep, and maybe we'll see a V2 of this 15202 if it proves popular!

DC

Foxindebox

Right then...

As an addendum to my comments about how shit the bracelet is, I'm sorry to report that the rest of the watch is living up to the tag as well.

after fitting the new bracelet I bought m2m, I thought "hmm lovely day, I'll take the AP out for a spin". There were a few smudges though, so time for a gentle wipe over with a microfibre. Then this happened...

D70E966C-F8BB-46EF-9294-DF0D81A11332_zpslem42ba6.jpg

DA44D2BC-1555-44AF-BF0A-0F5E1F2F0FD0_zpsmecc01e4.jpg

F8FFE877-B06B-4728-A333-D88D071CFEC6_zpsurqok1cv.jpg

I'm not fucking impressed...

I then proceeded to take the watch apart to see if I could tighten the bezel ring down to hold the gasket tighter. I found that when I took it all apart, the bezel is actually part of the midcase and not screwed down in the usual AP fashion. I expect that for the quartz version, not this one.

I therefore cannot in all good conscience, recommend this watch to anyone. At the price point it was sold at, It is garbage.

If any of you out there that bought this, don't have these problems, count yourself lucky. Unfortunately, as I have tossed the bracelet, a return to the TD is not an option (and I don't expect it either, my fault I chucked it and not the TD's responsibility). although do I wonder about the thoroughness of the QC process?

Anyway, I'm off to kick the shit out of my cat... (joke)

Justneedhelp

Where can I get one from mate

Foxindebox

Have you read the post above???

Kwt

Great review DC - as much as this is more like the GEN - the time keeping of the quartz was just awesome on a watch that will have been lost on a lot of non WIS people. Having said that I no longer have it as well lol.

Oh and Foxindebox - you have my symphany. That sucks.

Edited by Kwt

Foxindebox

I've put the gasket back in and am wondering whether to hit it with the hairdryer? Mabye shrink it a bit, like heat shrink tubing...

_DC_

WTF?

You really haven't had much luck with this one have you Foxy? Mine get regular use and has been fine, guess it shows with some of these reps it's really pot luck!

Would never have guessed it wasn't a three part case construction though, that does surprise me!!

DC

Foxindebox

DC... it's a lemon :D

_DC_

Pleased (and relieved) to report mine is still going strong...

C2EBDE22-F8A5-460F-8EBF-55E5F553AED2_zpsxa7wpko3.jpg

DC

baxter

mine is also going strong ..... the bracelet was dreadful when i first got it ... really inflexible and uncomfortable to wear ..... i just manhandled it a bit, ie; gave the links a firm but cautious bending both ways and it sees to have worked pretty well so i'm happy enough and i'm finding the watch to be a real wearer !!

that said it's not the quality of a 15400, passable and better than the quartz but not top quality.

Nhrob

DC... Got mine today from Dan & Tim at Fatpanda... your review inspired me to do so... I do love it.. just put it on ten minutes ago.... the 12 o'clock double stick markers look ever so slightly (and I do men slightly) off center to the right, but the diff is so minute, it's probably not even worth an honorable mention. I didn't notice it on the Q/C pics and even if I did, I think it would have been a little too persnickety to mention. It sure is thin, and I love that. Very handsome piece. I need to get used to having no minute hand as this is my first watch to have no minute hand. One thing I did notice is that the rotor is not rotating - and that might be a red flag here.... doesn't rotate.... If I am not mistaken, all automatic movement relies on this, right? Does that mean it is defective? When I took it out of the box, it did move freely... so, not sure what to do about that. Thoughts?

_DC_

Hmm very strange, firstly I think you mean it doesn't have a seconds hand, lol, otherwise if it doesn't have a minute hand then it's definitely broken!

As for the rotor not sure what is going on there. It definitely should rotate, but you say it did when you first got it out of the box? Some ETA type movements with bi-directional winding can stop spinning so easily once fully wound but a Miyota should always spin it one direction at least even if there's resistance in the winding direction!!

DC

Nhrob

Hi DC - I just took out a loupe, and looked carefully at the rotor, and it actually looks slightly warped and there is a tiny scratch right where it is supposed to sit. the gap that should be around the entire rotor looks like it doesn't exist on one side of the rotor...

Nhrob

DC - I exchanged email with Dan/Tim and they told me to loosen the screws around the perimeter of the case back, and i did, and when I loosened the screw at the 11 o'clock position, the rotor just popped and started to freely rotate. It looks like the tolerances on that case back are pretty tight.... so, I torqued everything down again ever so tenderly and gently.... and all is well. Rotor spins freely, and is well. It is a beautiful watch.

Whoever assembled it... put a little too much torque on screw at 11 o'clock.

AND YES, DC... I meant the 'seconds' hand - not the minute hand. Sorry...

Nhrob

Hey DC, does thing have any power reserve, or manual winding capability?

GenTLe

Hey DC, does thing have any power reserve, or manual winding capability?

It's a Miyota 9015, it can be manual wound, it has the hacking (movement stops when in time set mode) and it has at least 1.5 day of PR when is fully charged (it should reach around 42 hours of power reserve).

See here: http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/9015/pdf/spec_9015.pdf