Sign in to follow this  
ellistyle1

Not Round

ellistyle1

I appreciate the challenges and payoffs in the rep hobby. Some transactions and some experiments with new tastes and styles go smoothly and perfectly. Others don't. The longer you play the more likely you are to have some rough spots. But those are part of what keeps us coming back here.

A few months ago, I decided my collection was a bit too "round". I wanted something square or rectangular. I have found my horological taste for the most part, but had have really given the square a shot. I went all in and ordered a Reverso, a Cartier and a Longines 1969.

IMG_3869_zpsxbnfqvmc.jpg

IMG_1514_zpsavnbyhib.jpg

The Longines and the Reverso arrived at the same time. The Reverso was C&R'd immediately. I might give that another try in a larger version at some point. What arrived did not click. The Longines is a fine watch. It has not received the wrist time and needs a strap upgrade before it will. However, I am unsure if I am committed to the piece.

I was really looking forward to the Santos. It was shipped at the same time as the other two. It was delivered to a post office 200 miles away and the tracking number kept updating saying that it would be delivered tomorrow. It never was then I received notification that it was en route back to China! Fortunately, it made the journey safely. TD turned it around and it finally arrived at my doorstep.

I wore it exactly once before declaring the clasp and cardboard/hornback strap unwearable. I decided on the clothy/rubbery type straps seen occasionally on some of the sportier Santos'. The new strap arrived, but I could not manage the threaded lug pins. They would not go through the holes in the lugs or through the strap for whatever reason. I bought some different pins. Nope. I found a set of spring bars. Nope. Another thicker set. Yep. I have never had such trouble with a strap change before. Impossible. Once I got it on, the clasp essentially exploded. I ordered another one of those.

Three months after the order, I finally have a piece I am excited to put on my arm!

IMG_2886_zpsuhmlggov.jpg

IMG_0419_zpsgpmoow4t.jpg

IMG_0800_zps2bp29qkk.jpg

Wriggles

The Santos is lovely, i rarely wear mine because the strap is the worst steaming pile of shite I've ever had on a rep and that's saying something!

The clasp is not much better.

Keep meaning to look into another strap but never get around to it

ellistyle1

The Santos is lovely, i rarely wear mine because the strap is the worst steaming pile of shite I've ever had on a rep and that's saying something!

The clasp is not much better.

Keep meaning to look into another strap but never get around to it

Well it is a challenge to swap but worth it!

phone

Definitely look into getting a gen strap and clasp. The watch will feel fucking amazing!

Walesy

I love that JLC, but wish I could get on with leather straps, somehow bracelets seem to work better with me.

Was that the medium version you had?

ellistyle1

I love that JLC, but wish I could get on with leather straps, somehow bracelets seem to work better with me.

Was that the medium version you had?

Not sure which version it was, but I would be surprised if it were medium. It was quite small. Possibly not what I ordered from the TD.