Sign in to follow this  
Abe Fromen

That was lucky

Abe Fromen

So last week I was training on my bicycle, doing hill repeats on my commute home. One section of road is a nasty uphill and typically backs up with traffic, so I use the designated bike path that parallels the road. On my last hill before heading home, a guy in a minivan turned right, in front of me, cutting me off. I tried to turn with him (this ain't my first rodeo) but his turn angle and speed were too high. His front tire drove over my front wheel and I got launched 20-30' and landed on my face, elbows and one knee.

In the mist of getting myself together I realized my kenny modded SD4000 wasn't on my wrist. Shit! I saw it on the tarmac, the Rubber B came apart at the lug.

Amazingly, not a single scratch on the watch at all. And the strap/springbar just popped back in perfectly. It's keeping perfect time, still, too.

This watch is tough as nails!

Sorry, no pix...

Piccolo

Ouch! Hope you heal up fast mate, watches can repair a lot easier than skin & bone...

Drivers just don't see cyclists, generally no malice involved, just not a car so almost invisible.

Abe Fromen

Thanks.. broken wrist so in a cast for six weeks. Shame as I was having the strongest spring season of my cycling career. Back to square one.

But yeah... I was totally very lucky. Could always be worse.

I'm just glad my fave watch came out unscathed.

Edited by Abe Fromen

Piccolo

Hope he stopped and gave you all his details?

Broken wrist is a pain, but you're right, could have been a lot worse.

Abe Fromen

Hope he stopped and gave you all his details?

Yep, he was extremely remorseful and helpful.

greg_r

Ouch!

Tell the asshole that the Rollie is bust and he has to buy you a new one. Don't mention reps ;)

Abe Fromen

Ouch!

Tell the asshole that the Rollie is bust and he has to buy you a new one. Don't mention reps ;)

Well... I'd be telling his insurance company. Initially I thought I'd be getting a gen Rubber B out of it, but since it all fits back together fine, I'm good.

It's all about karma. ;)

Nikosaldente

I broke my wrist when I was 10 years old when some kid run into me with his bike tipping me over mine!

I flew in mid air for 4-5 meters landing on my left wrist! It was very painful and I had a cast for a month or so!

Forgot to mention that I was cycling without having my hands on the handles....hehe!

Best wishes for recovery mate!

Always be careful on the road!

Cheers!

Jibuti

you lucky b'stard-new strap AND new ID document, all for free...!

Kleen™
.. broken wrist so in a cast for six weeks.

Shit luck, but on a constructive note: you can reduce your healing time by at least 50% (=> 2-3weeks) by doing soft/gentle 'in-plaster' muscle exercises repeatedly and eating a lot of protein, calcium and minerals/vitamins.

PS: And stay the fuck away from pain-killers, especially of the ibuprofen variety, as they prevent/delay bone-healing.

PPS: Not the advice your GP would give you, but I give you my word it does work as prescribed...

Left Coast Guy

If that's not proof of insanity, I don't know what it is....break your wrist and say its good luck! A strange hobby this...

tonyh7

That's insane. You were absolutely crocked but your first thought was the watch! I'm vaguely reminded of the old joke about the drunken Scotsman who staggers home with a bottle of whisky in his pocket. He wanders into the road and is hit by a car and knocked into a ditch. As he climbs out of the ditch he feels wetness flowing down his legs. Oh God please let it be blood, he says.

Kleen™
That's insane. You were absolutely crocked but your first thought was the watch! I'm vaguely reminded of the old joke about the drunken Scotsman who staggers home with a bottle of whisky in his pocket. He wanders into the road and is hit by a car and knocked into a ditch. As he climbs out of the ditch he feels wetness flowing down his legs. Oh God please let it be blood, he says.

Good'un. Old, but good'un...:D

Bash64

Sounds to me like you are tough as nails also!

Congrats on being alive and to speedy wrist recovery.

wolfwood

Let's see some pics of the miracle watch! :giggle: Oh, and wish you a speedy recovery.

Abe Fromen

Actually no... when I got up, my first thought was to assess the damage to my bike. I just happened to see my watch on the tarmac while walking over to the guardrail to sit. LOL

Shit luck, but on a constructive note: you can reduce your healing time by at least 50% (=> 2-3weeks) by doing soft/gentle 'in-plaster' muscle exercises repeatedly and eating a lot of protein, calcium and minerals/vitamins.

PS: And stay the fuck away from pain-killers, especially of the ibuprofen variety, as they prevent/delay bone-healing.

PPS: Not the advice your GP would give you, but I give you my word it does work as prescribed...

THanks.. Done and done. ;)

Abe Fromen

Sounds to me like you are tough as nails also!

Congrats on being alive and to speedy wrist recovery. ��

Thanks... been in this sport for 40 years. I already have 4200km in for the season before this happened, and was having the best spring campaign of my cycling career. Getting hit is never something you want to happen, but it is an occupational hazard. This was hit number 9, in 40 seasons and well over 500,000km of training/racing.

And thanks to all for the well wishes. I'll take a pic of the beastly, tough SD4000 shortly.

vonGluberschmidt

What bike and gear are you running?

I'm a retired pro, still racing (mostly training) with the young'uns.....

Keep spinning on the trainer. Get a rolled up towel and brace the cast so you don't lose as much fitness.

Big thing is to keep the legs moving.

...but with 40yars behind you - you know that :-)

...oh ya - get a new helmet!

Abe Fromen

What bike and gear are you running?

I'm a retired pro, still racing (mostly training) with the young'uns.....

Keep spinning on the trainer. Get a rolled up towel and brace the cast so you don't lose as much fitness.

Big thing is to keep the legs moving.

...but with 40yars behind you - you know that :-)

...oh ya - get a new helmet!

PMed.. and thanks... new helmet is a given. No obvious scuffs or damage, but when you go down, regardless, you replace the crash hat.

Kleen™

Actually no... when I got up, my first thought was to assess the damage to my bike. I just happened to see my watch on the tarmac while walking over to the guardrail to sit. LOL

THanks.. Done and done. ;)

With 40 years of experience in the backpack this was obviously not new information to you...but I've just seen too many youngsters/beginners struggling unneccessarily with their healing, despite their youth and good health...