Sign in to follow this  
Nikosaldente

New Rolex Sea Dweller 2017 at 43mm

plankton

I personally like it much. Put an order in today to get on the list for one at my AD.

axled

I actually love it. Also put a deposit down at my AD but they said wait could be to after summer.

deju

Apart from being the most boring watch imaginable (excluding some vintage milsubs)

I got all excited with the new larger datejusts, tried on my mates and instantly hated it, I've grown to love the finesse of the smaller Rolex.

These bigger watches are too clunky. Fashion watches that only purpose is to push up the prices of sought after older peices

FL13

43mm? FUUUUCK.

And I thought Heuer Made a gaffe with the 42mm Autavia Re-issue. I'd have even paid the ridiculous $$$$ for the Autavia in 38-40mm... 42? No thanks.

WatchaholicMallorca

Not sure why people are so anti cyclops on this? The only reason the original didn't have one was because Rolex didn't have the technology at the time to allow the watch to go to the depths it was made for without the cyclops falling off.

Now they can so it's there....

Lagger

It's an aesthetic thing, some people don't like the Cyclops full stop, and people like tradition.......the SD has not had one.........and I would go as far to say if you were diving to 4000 feet and didn't know the date you shouldn't be there

Lagger

The extra size is the killer for me, it looks like a fat sub

Duzza

Technical advances isn't reason enough for putting a cyclops on a sea dweller. They didn't do so with the Deepsea or the SD4K. They are just looking to pick up Sub buyers who want something bigger. Which is fine but don't expect the purists to like it.

FunnyStarSystem

I've always considered the cyclops an ugly wart, which is ironic since my eyesight is terrible and I could really use it. But knowing there's a little sliver of glass/plastic glued on to an otherwise perfect crystal just shrivels my aesthetics-pumping lil' heart.

Nikosaldente

I've always considered the cyclops an ugly wart, which is ironic since my eyesight is terrible and I could really use it. But knowing there's a little sliver of glass/plastic glued on to an otherwise perfect crystal just shrivels my aesthetics-pumping lil' heart.

Same here except for the part of the eyesight!

Mine are still holding up good due to age...

How difficult/easy is to remove the Cyclops?

Cleebeauregard
It's an aesthetic thing, some people don't like the Cyclops full stop, and people like tradition.......the SD has not had one.........and I would go as far to say if you were diving to 4000 feet and didn't know the date you shouldn't be there

Now that's funny. Bravo! :)

Cleebeauregard

I would like it better if Rolex had just called a it the "Chunky Red Sub"

Beetleything

Most of these watches will not see any water anyway .....so no fear of the cyclops coming off!

I think they put the cyclops on to appeal to the Sub crowd who wanted a bigger Sub - now they have it!

There is also the classic seadweller ceramic 116600. Probably more balanced, even if too similar to a worked out Sub-C (40mm but bulkier case):

Rolex-Seadweller-001.jpg

That is probably the most balanced Rolex I've seen!

Good one GenTLe!

Care sharing a link to a TD?

If you're going to buy a *Gen* Sea Dweller... buy a real one. A 1665, which even now can be had for about $10K if you're patient. They have real appreciation value, and history. A new Rolex? Zero appreciation potential, and gauche design.

Ditto every other Rolex made today.... all of them.

Already done :)

33793339672_c74a9e2be3_k.jpg

Ok, ok, it's my Rep :D

That is a STUNNER!!

Lovely.

Tits McGee

Looks like my Steinhart now. Only with an uncomfortable bracelet.

emZT2Zm.jpg

GenTLe

That is a STUNNER!!

Lovely.

Thank you! :)

Quite a lot of work to make it as it is :)

Haltec
Hate it. Absolutely hate it.

Cyclops on a Sea Dweller is almost as gauche as engraving advertising on the rehaut.

Rolex has gone way past 4 desirable in the last 10 years and this is the icing on the cake.

Don't like cyclops either. Especially on the watch where doesn't belong historically.

I am scauting for some PAM Submersible (metal case) & think to go for 305 because it have crystal with no magnification.

Nice clean look.

How about the Pam 389?

I have it and it looks/feels great!

Solid Titanium case, Ceramic Bezel, "Amagnetic" Movement, Sapphire Crystal and of course....No Cyclops!

IMG_20160904_124448_zpsld9sxrjm.jpg

389 is great - closed caseback is a plus. But.. I have so many watches with black or dark bezel, that I wouldn't go for that one.. (But your suggestion is right on spot beside that)

Maybe this "new" one ? Titanium GMT "Pole2Pole" something?

Panerai-Pole2Pole-1.jpg

black263

Most of these watches will not see any water anyway .....so no fear of the cyclops coming off!

I think they put the cyclops on to appeal to the Sub crowd who wanted a bigger Sub - now they have it!

There is also the classic seadweller ceramic 116600. Probably more balanced, even if too similar to a worked out Sub-C (40mm but bulkier case):

Rolex-Seadweller-001.jpg

That is probably the most balanced Rolex I've seen!

Good one GenTLe!

Care sharing a link to a TD?

If you're going to buy a *Gen* Sea Dweller... buy a real one. A 1665, which even now can be had for about $10K if you're patient. They have real appreciation value, and history. A new Rolex? Zero appreciation potential, and gauche design.

Ditto every other Rolex made today.... all of them.

Already done :)

33793339672_c74a9e2be3_k.jpg

Ok, ok, it's my Rep :D

That is a STUNNER!!

Lovely.

Just seen one of these, (Gen) on line for £56,000. For a bloody Rolex!! http://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/sea-dweller-mark-ii-thin-case-tropical-full-set--id3658559.htm

RandomGuy
and I would go as far to say if you were diving to 4000 feet and didn't know the date you shouldn't be there

^^^^

THIS

...and I'm bummed GenTLe's is a Franken.

Mighta been my first Rollie rep if a TD offered it.

Nikosaldente
Hate it. Absolutely hate it. Cyclops on a Sea Dweller is almost as gauche as engraving advertising on the rehaut. Rolex has gone way past 4 desirable in the last 10 years and this is the icing on the cake.
Don't like cyclops either. Especially on the watch where doesn't belong historically. I am scauting for some PAM Submersible (metal case) & think to go for 305 because it have crystal with no magnification. Nice clean look.
How about the Pam 389? I have it and it looks/feels great! Solid Titanium case, Ceramic Bezel, "Amagnetic" Movement, Sapphire Crystal and of course....No Cyclops! IMG_20160904_124448_zpsld9sxrjm.jpg
389 is great - closed caseback is a plus. But.. I have so many watches with black or dark bezel, that I wouldn't go for that one.. (But your suggestion is right on spot beside that) Maybe this "new" one ? Titanium GMT "Pole2Pole" something? Panerai-Pole2Pole-1.jpg

I don't know if this is repped but I don't really like the "Pole 2 Pole" Logo.....

If you are in to Titanium, Blue Dial and GMT, you should​ go with Pam 371:

pam371.jpg

GenTLe

...and I'm bummed GenTLe's is a Franken.

No it's not. I'm not so mad to push hundreds or thousands of € into a rep :D

The only parts that aren't "original rep" are the 702 crown and tube (Athaya ones, around 35$), the lug bars (aftermarket for Rolex, from CousinsUK, like 5£ for 4 or 6 of them), the bezel spring (again an aftermarket for Rolex, like 5£ from CousinsUK) and the movement (a mix of a swatch 2842 with the main plate and date change parts from a 2846 and 4th wheel, hour wheel and cannon pinion from the original a2836 that was inside the watch).

The rest is pure JKF rep with some good work on the case (manually reshaped, polished, lugs redrilled with 1.25mm cobalt drill)

rawbaws

Insert looks really odd. Like they've gotten the dimensions of the engravings really wrong

fatarms

Insert looks really odd. Like they've gotten the dimensions of the engravings really wrong

First thing I noticed as well. Looks like a canal street six digit insert.

Mr_B

First thing I noticed as well. Looks like a canal street six digit insert.

Ffs. Can any of these factories make a decent Bezel insert...

...was looking forward to this one. Maybe il have to see what the next factory makes

It would be interesting to see a video of it too

rawbaws

I was reading a review of a six digit rep the other day and can't remember the factory but it was one of the majors..Noob, BP or JF .. someone like that and the insert was actually steel with a ceramic dlc or pvd coating. Looked pretty good still though

Edited by rawbaws