Sign in to follow this  
Helmut Wong

Glorious dilemma - help

mike_morgan

I can't wrap my head around a watch that when translated from French is called "White Bread" ... The first time I heard of this brand was quite some time ago at the Tourneau Shop in Vegas, the salesman kept talking about Blancpain, and I finally asked... "Am I hearing you correctly? You're saying that watch is WHITE BREAD? Hardly a great endorsement." He said... "NO, I'm saying BLANCPAIN"... My response... "yeah, I heard you correctly, that's french for WHITE BREAD." He didn't know that was the translation, but he did ask me what Patek Phillipe translated to... I had no answer, I just shook my head. I've never taken the Blancpain brand seriously, for that really silly reason.

This makes the JLC the only choice.

Helmut Wong

I can't wrap my head around a watch that when translated from French is called "White Bread" ... The first time I heard of this brand was quite some time ago at the Tourneau Shop in Vegas, the salesman kept talking about Blancpain, and I finally asked... "Am I hearing you correctly? You're saying that watch is WHITE BREAD? Hardly a great endorsement." He said... "NO, I'm saying BLANCPAIN"... My response... "yeah, I heard you correctly, that's french for WHITE BREAD." He didn't know that was the translation, but he did ask me what Patek Phillipe translated to... I had no answer, I just shook my head. I've never taken the Blancpain brand seriously, for that really silly reason.

This makes the JLC the only choice.

So you reckon id be a few slices short of a loaf to go for the blancpain?

Edited by Helmut Wong

mike_morgan

So you reckon id be a few slices short of a loaf to go for the blancpain?

I would more likely be willing to own a watch called a Douche Dog, than own watch called White Bread.... I know it's a stupid reason, I just can't do it. I think in some way, they are at Blancpain HQ laughing every time somebody buys the watch, not knowing the meaning of the name.

Someday, I truly believe the french will name a watch called Chou au Poignet and unsuspecting tourists in the watch culture will flock to buy them...

Can you own a watch named "White Bread? I just can't.... it's more than a few slices shy of a loaf, though, it does amuse me.

fatarms

I've owned the the JLC NSD. There's not even a question in my mind which one I'd choose, the JLC all day, every day. Never understood the fifty fathoms hype.

Not Quite Dead

The brand is named after the founder - and according to their website is the oldest watch brand - it will therefore be older than white bread!

Daywatch

The fifty fathoms is a huge, thick and head-heavy chuncky watch - it doesn´t look like it on pics. It´s beautiful as well, the night-lume brightness and readability is outstanding. The history and pioneer-design goes well back to the very first french frogmen in the early fifties, the Diver´s Magazine cover and Cousteau-connection. The rep is exceptionally good.

If undecided, the JLC first is an option.

next to a 42mm Seiko

BP_byDW1024_0262fc_zps9cc2a072.jpg

DSC_7815_zpsaqllzcvy.jpg

mike_morgan

The brand is named after the founder - and according to their website is the oldest watch brand - it will therefore be older than white bread!

Still translates to white bread, no matter how you slice it! That being said, White Bread dates back to Ancient Rome, so it's unlikely that Blancpain's founder predates the bread that he is so obviously named after. The surname Blancpain was common with bakers at a time when Surnames closely followed Professions.

narikaa

They're reps for pity's sake

get em both bought and start looking for the next few

sheesh

Helmut Wong

sheesh

You sir are a genius and an evil one at that

mike_morgan

sheesh

bmKHIVI.png

boredpanda

Fifty fathoms is very nice and I still like it a lot.

Accuracy wise, it's hard to get one with all its indices aligned to perfection. JLC should have an edge in this aspect.

Strap change for FF is a PITA. Until today I still haven't managed to get the lug bars out and when you change it to a springbar, it won't look as "nice" as the drilled lugs will look very big.

Overall I like the FF design way more than the JLC, but I'd probably recommend the JLC for now and then eventually you'll get the FF :D

splke

both as always

childishthing

At the risk of being badly flamed, I don't care for either watch.

If I had to chose, I would choose the Blancpain because of its history. It has an interesting story.

Helmut Wong

Lots of sound advise in the thread. Expensive advice but sound

gran

Get the one you could use most often...its an easy choice. Get the WHITE BREAD one

enq2.jpg

Helmut Wong

Too much white bread is bad for you. I need to mix the diet up with a bit of JLC goodness I think.

Damn this site

Edited by Helmut Wong

gran

Too much white bread is bad for you. I need to mix the diet up with a bit of JLC goodness I think.

Damn this site

Calvin-Candie-White-cake.gif

greg_r

I've owned the the JLC NSD. There's not even a question in my mind which one I'd choose, the JLC all day, every day. Never understood the fifty fathoms hype.

I've owned both too - and would go precisely the opposite way. The FF is one of my favourite watches, rep or gen. I've never really bonded with the NSD. Blancpain all the way for me.

Chiquita Fanjita

I'm with Greg here too. I've had both as well and still have the BPFF which is also a favourite of mine.

I always wanted a JLC NSD and got one last month and just couldn't feel the love for it so sold it on a week later. It was one that looked great off my wrist, but it just didn't feel right on my wrist.

Chiquita Fanjita

Here's a few pics that might help.

2E081363-5C88-4CAA-8785-4656F23A1934_zpskdk98rsb.jpg

D4CC9819-4778-48B8-AD1C-FD8361764956_zpstrpkg1g5.jpg

2DDDEC05-EA84-4B6C-874F-B9E675661027_zpstlllpvec.jpg

Wriggles

Here's an even better idea.

Get the FF.

Then signup for VIP membership of this forum which you are getting so much benefit from, thereby entering into a draw for a JLC NSD.

If you win you've saved yourself a bunch, if not then you buy it anyway and both you and the forum benefit.

Simples

gran

FF has date at 4,5...now just get the FF

mike_morgan

Clearly the answer is that you need to find the Best Submariner 1:1

IMG_20170507_175506.png

Chiquita Fanjita

Clearly the answer is that you need to find the Best Submariner 1:1

IMG_20170507_175506.png

And that's not it.