Sign in to follow this  
gavmeister

Fifty Fathoms

gavmeister

While browsing through the forum today this reminded me...

Strap change for FF is a PITA. Until today I still haven't managed to get the lug bars out and when you change it to a springbar, it won't look as "nice" as the drilled lugs will look very big.

Does anyone here know how to remove the lug bars.....

Thommo82

I feel I have a similar problem with a vintage seiko 5

I had to cut the leather strap off (I hated it anyway) and then attached a NATO

Still can't get the lug bats out

gavmeister

I had to cut the leather strap off (I hated it anyway) and then attached a NATO

Starting to think that that might be my only option....and I purchased such a nice strap to replace the awful rep one!

porschespeedster

no idea, that thing is a damned dinner plate anyways :)

NCRich

Would you say that you are mechanically challenged? :lol:

greg_r

They should simply unscrew with an allen key. However they cross-thread so easily, they may just be stuck. Simple solution is to cut 'em off and replace with a set of 22mm PAM springbars, which fit nicely and also fill out the lug holes pretty well, They don;t look quite gen, but the look is close enough to be acceptable IMO.

GenTLe

Does anyone here know how to remove the lug bars.....

I simply went to a very technical hardware store with my FF and check with them which was the best allen key for them. One was too small, the next was a bit too big. I got this last one (2 of them) and filed a bit so that they were fitting perfectly.

gavmeister

Thanks Greg and GenTLe, I bought some allen keys based on recommendation from another post somewhere, and they were too small. Reckon I'll try taking the watch into an electronics store down the road who should have such small allen keys, if not my drill press might come in handy!

NCRich

Seriously no need to drill. As Greg says cut the bar in half and twist it out with a plier/visegrip. Really hard to drill out a stainless bar without damaging it. I have twisted out many.

Daywatch

T3 torx driver did it 4me - plus a cheap set of torx drivers like those to work on mobile phones (set of very small allen keys).

One side needs to be turned, while the other is held still in place.

For changing straps more often I also replaced with springbars. Lugholes work great with them.

Cleebeauregard

Mine were all Torx screws; mind you, not all the same size. T3 and T4 did it for me. I bought a super cheap set of Torx drivers on Amazon for like $4.

If you plan to leave them in the watch after changing the strap, I'd very strongly suggest you invest in a little blue Loctite. Just like the screws on certain bracelets and PAM crown guards, these little bastards have a tendency to come loose and fall out, never to be see again. I agree with Greg-- save 'em for a rainy day, or if you ever plan to sell the watch, and replace them with a set of fat spring bars. I use 23mm Seiko Diver bars in mine. Work perfectly.

TheTinMan

Most hardware stores will sell a kit with a handle and several different types of screw driver heads, with several sizes of each. I bought a rather inexpensive set that has served for quite a few of my watch 'projects'

Cleebeauregard
Most hardware stores will sell a kit with a handle and several different types of screw driver heads, with several sizes of each. I bought a rather inexpensive set that has served for quite a few of my watch 'projects'

One thing that's important to note is that you'll need TWO handles, as the bars are not anchored in any way-- try using just one handle and the bar will just spin...

gavmeister

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

boredpanda

Well as mentioned, torx works.

As of now I have 1 set taken out (took a hell lot of time to get the torx to stay in place, probably have bad torx screwdrivers) and the other is still the original ones, sigh.

Maybe I should try filing some hex wrench as GenTLe suggested.

GenTLe

T3 torx driver did it 4me - plus a cheap set of torx drivers like those to work on mobile phones (set of very small allen keys).

One side needs to be turned, while the other is held still in place.

For changing straps more often I also replaced with springbars. Lugholes work great with them.

A trick here could be to cut the shank of the screw, leaving only the heads. Glue them in their holes in the lugs, and use a spring bar for the strap. This way you have both the benefits.