epalanb

How has your hardlex crystal held up?

epalanb

7 months in and I still have not put a sapphire crystal  in my turtle. I have worn it probably 75% of the days since and  hardlex is absolutely 100% perfect. Not  blemish on it. 

OneTwoMany

OP..... Please buy a SKX007/009. You have deprived yourself of a truly awesome watch for 10 years.

Stick a miltat bracelet on it and a sapphire crystal from crystaltimes and it will proudly hold its own in the watch box sitting next to much more expensive timepieces.

Even completely standard they are amazing for the money.

I never scratched my hardlex but changed it out for a sapphire with a slight dome and no bevel anyway. 

One of the cheapest watches I own and still one of my favourites.

epalanb
On 1/1/2018 at 05:54, OneTwoMany said:

OP..... Please buy a SKX007/009. You have deprived yourself of a truly awesome watch for 10 years.

Stick a miltat bracelet on it and a sapphire crystal from crystaltimes and it will proudly hold its own in the watch box sitting next to much more expensive timepieces.

Even completely standard they are amazing for the money.

I never scratched my hardlex but changed it out for a sapphire with a slight dome and no bevel anyway. 

One of the cheapest watches I own and still one of my favourites.

I just did. Not because of your post, but because I always wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

When comparing to the turtle I can't see ever wearing it and mine will likely go up on the block. It is a beautiful watch, no doubt and I got mine for $159 NIB so for that price I still think it is about the best one can get, but when I compare it to my turtle for roughly $250 there really is no comparison. For me the Turtle wins by a mile and is easily worth the extra $90

My biggest complaints are:

1) The movement. I absolutely hate it that the movement doesn't hack and it doesn't hand wind. This alone is a deal killer for me. I know that I could buy a 4R36 movement and do a movement swap and I probably would  do that if it wasn't for #2

2) The crown guard and the crown. Every time I unscrew the crown to set the watch I just about slice up my fingers on that dang crown guard. Crown guard is the worst designed and poorly executed (sharp edges) crown guard that I have ever encountered. When comparing to the turtle or some of my other watches this crown guard really gets in the way of trying to unscrew the crown. If you can't read between the lines I really hate it!

3) This is easily fixable, but still a fault. The supplied OEM strap on this watch is the biggest piece of garbage ever.  Sorry, but it is just terrible. 

Other nit pics for me:

1) To my eye the watch is a bit tall (thick) for it's diameter. I know it isn't really any taller than the turtle, but I think the turtle is preportioned much better.

2) Hardlex crystal. As mentioned above that can be fixed quite easily for a small amount of money.  Add a Sapphire crystal

3) Bezel insert. Aluminum bezel inserts tend to get dinged up and scratched easily. Add a ceramic bezel insert and this solves this problem

4) I have gotten used to bigger watches and now the 42mm case and 46mm lug to lug just looks a bit puny on my wrist