Sign in to follow this  
BullishAndrew

First luxury gen Chrono: Monaco vs speedy?

BullishAndrew

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a fun gen for my 30th bday in a few months. I will likely have about $3500 for this purchase. I have reps that suit every applicable need in my life, be it work, dress, casual, etc. I'm a Rolex guy but a gen Rolex isn't a possibility at this point.

My question is simply which in your opinions is more interesting, cool, special, etc. I realize the history of the moon watch is a little more rich, and the movement more unique, but it is a little cliche imo.

The tag caw 2111 is uniquely shaped, and immortalized by Steve McQueen, but with a relatively bland sellita movement/dd chrono module. I generally have no love for tag, as I feel they are an airport terminal brand, but this watch sings to me.

I would love your thoughts and hopefully experience with either watch, even reps, as the "feel" would be present even in a rep. I've never seen these watches compared, but to me, it's a relevant comparison. Thanks for anything you'd like to share! -Andrew

Edited by BullishAndrew

Stewart

I recently had to decide between two cars and was having trouble settling on one. Ultimately, i imagined getting up in the morning for work, going to the garage, and having both there to choose from. Then, in my mind, I imagined which one I would naturally be drawn to.

You might try a similar approach. Despite all of the technical details of each watch, brand status, etc. Every morning you are going to put the watch on and enjoy it, so imagine having both sitting on your night stand in the morning and which one would you be more drawn to.

Hopefully this helps, both are excellent choices.

Jagsman

Sounds to me like you aren't massively sold on either, personally I would wait until something REALLY takes your fancy, either that or go and try them on, whichever feels the most 'special' is probably the one.

MetalMickey

The Speedy is a classic. I'd buy the Monaco because everyone buys the speedy

tomtom1988

Personally I'd wait and get the Rolex you really want. If I'm buying gen from previous experience I'd wait it out and get the gen you really want. Other than my .2 cents I'd get the speedy

dilip

Unfortunately I'm about to hit 30 soon too... even though you seem to have your mind set on a chronograph 3.5k would suffice for a Rollie dating back from the year we were born. Just saying :)

chickenflex

I was looking at exactly the same watches for my 30th - after trying both on I ended up going with the Speedy.

The Monaco has a pretty unique case and doesn't fit all wrist types.

GenTLe

as I feel they are an airport terminal brand, but this watch sings to me.

Oh well, in Vienna airport there is also a Rolex AD. Does that make Rolex an airport terminal brand?

By the way I'd go for a Speedmaster :)

austinsom

It's sounds like you have already decided on the Tag over the Speedy ;)

I bought a Speedy recently, and it is a lovely watch, rich heritage, nicely proportioned and something that will never go out of style, plus you can pass this one down through the family.

Could say the same about the Monaco too, but how many watches can trace the line back to a watch that was worn on the moon. I'd go with the Speedmaster.

narikaa

Speedy yes has a cute spaceship story, but however hard you try and spacewalk around your 'man cave' you'll never make it so that yours has been any higher than commercial flight levels :giggle: . Emperor's new clothes syndrome - just cause they all point and say 'look at the cut / look at the fit' truth is, bland and as pedestrian as all hell.

(Rolexes...for pity's sake I dare you not to yawn)

The Monaco has Panache and as a young man's gift of frippery to himself, why the devil not.

austinsom

Speedy yes has a cute spaceship story, but however hard you try and spacewalk around your 'man cave' you'll never make it so that yours has been any higher than commercial flight levels :giggle: . Emperor's new clothes syndrome - just cause they all point and say 'look at the cut / look at the fit' truth is, bland and as pedestrian as all hell.

(Rolexes...for pity's sake I dare you not to yawn)

The Monaco has Panache and as a young man's gift of frippery to himself, why the devil not.

Well you can't argue with that :lol:

And how did you know about my 'man cave' ;)

Del

I'll try not to be too biased since I have a Moonie! :lol:

At the end of the day, you need to go and try on both and see how they look and feel when you are wearing them - it's the only way to know. There's really no point in us telling you which is best/nicest/coolest/etc. - it's all personal preference. ;)

Genius

Both are great watches but I bought a speedy and still love it so that has to be my answer. It works great no matter what you are wearing and can look so different depending what strap you use with it.

Still will definitely buy a Monaco at some point had reps and a homage but feel I need to try a gen

BullishAndrew

Thanks for all of the input! What a community!

I planned a "watch dealer crawl" in the metro detroit area, where i plan to visit 3 ADs stocking of AP, PP, Rolex, Tag and Omega. Upon analyzing my values as a (hopefully someday) watch collector, the Moon watch is something i have to experience, a required rite in my opinion.

The Monaco is very cool, and i will likely order the nicest (relative) rep i can source, but i just can't bring myself to spend that money on a Tag. I view the vast majority of Tags as fashion watches housing ETA/Sellita movements, sold to college professors who can only name Tag and Rolex, and don't want a rolex because the (liberal arts) dean will view it as ostentatious. Sorry for getting personal there, haha.

Unfortunately I'm about to hit 30 soon too... even though you seem to have your mind set on a chronograph 3.5k would suffice for a Rollie dating back from the year we were born. Just saying :)

Excellent thought! looks like the 16610 came out in 1987, that is definitely on my radar. Also nice avatar!

I agree Completely! any leads on a decent rep? I owe you a sincere thank you for the Hulk, review and pics forthcoming.

Edited by BullishAndrew

Cleebeauregard

Another vote for the Speedmaster Professional. Just saw one go on eBay with the full box kit for $2800:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speedmaster-Professional-Stainless-Steel-Mens-Watch-311-30-42-30-01-005-/122482973482?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=bVcThnLnFLIOOuqvI1fUOw8cOzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I've never heard anyone who has purchased a Moonie complain about it or have significant buyers remorse, which says a lot. And there's just not a decent rep available.

I like the McQueen Monaco, but it's a chunky square and WAY more limited in what you can do to change the look of it, and I think you'd tire of it much more quickly than you would the Omega.

Reps of the 16610 are too good IMO to justify $5K or more on a gen-- a TC or the new JF is 95% of the watch at 10% of the price, lol. Besides, if I were going for a gen sub, I'd go back further than the 5 digit, but that's me.

Daywatch

How times have changed... When Walter Roehrl raced the legendary "Night of Arganil" he relied on the TAG Sebring Heuer Split-second chrono in his cockpit - like in any other Rallye.

"More than any other brand, the chronographs that the racers wanted in the 1960s and 1970s were the Heuers. Talk to racers from this era, and they will tell you that having a Heuer chronograph was the "in thing". There were less expensive watches, but they weren't as good as the Heuers. And there were the higher-priced, more elegant watches -- sometimes given as prizes or promotions -- but these were not the watches that the racers were wearing for their work. The racers identified with the Heuers; these were the real racers' watches of the 1960s and 1970s."

http://www.onthedash.com/racers.shtml

FL13

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a fun gen for my 30th bday in a few months. I will likely have about $3500 for this purchase. I have reps that suit every applicable need in my life, be it work, dress, casual, etc. I'm a Rolex guy but a gen Rolex isn't a possibility at this point.

My question is simply which in your opinions is more interesting, cool, special, etc. I realize the history of the moon watch is a little more rich, and the movement more unique, but it is a little cliche imo.

The tag caw 2111 is uniquely shaped, and immortalized by Steve McQueen, but with a relatively bland sellita movement/dd chrono module. I generally have no love for tag, as I feel they are an airport terminal brand, but this watch sings to me.

I would love your thoughts and hopefully experience with either watch, even reps, as the "feel" would be present even in a rep. I've never seen these watches compared, but to me, it's a relevant comparison. Thanks for anything you'd like to share! -Andrew

Gen Rolex are available in that 3500 price range.

I paid less than that for my 16570. (no bracelet.)

17265955_1218825168237661_8390657588458422272_n.jpg

Diver Dave

How times have changed... When Walter Roehrl raced the legendary "Night of Arganil" he relied on the TAG Sebring Heuer Split-second chrono in his cockpit - like in any other Rallye.

"More than any other brand, the chronographs that the racers wanted in the 1960s and 1970s were the Heuers. Talk to racers from this era, and they will tell you that having a Heuer chronograph was the "in thing". There were less expensive watches, but they weren't as good as the Heuers. And there were the higher-priced, more elegant watches -- sometimes given as prizes or promotions -- but these were not the watches that the racers were wearing for their work. The racers identified with the Heuers; these were the real racers' watches of the 1960s and 1970s."

http://www.onthedash.com/racers.shtml

Yes, but they were real Heuer's and not faux-ones (TAG).

I don't consider anything made by TAG to be in the same league and wouldn't own one,

As to the OP's question: Is that a question? The Speedmaster is the proven classic chrono. More so than a Daytona. It's the standard by which all others are judged.

Edited by Diver Dave

garaged

I'd definitely go with the Moonwatch over the Tag. There is no comparison - either visually (for me) or what's inside. That's even without going to the history of the watch. Especially given this is your first gen / only gen (at least what it sounds like).