Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

Job interview: which watch would you choose?

brang1

Somebody said up the thread that nobody cares what you wear.

That statement was generalist, subjective and plain wrong and therefore simply bad advice to give to a person going into potentially life changing meeting.

The fact is that some people may care and they may have strange and unfathomable opinions or prejudices against anything you wear, say or do.

Your job is to not give them the opportunity to take away anything negative from the interview which might colour the experience of meeting you.

This could be as bizarre as wearing the same watch that the interviewer's partner (he regularly beats her up!) or the same watch as a recently dead relative (just too painful to see you wearing it around the office every day) etc etc.

To give you an example, i was once in a tendering scenario with a colleague significantly senior to me and suppliers were pitching to us, one after the other, for a £700k contract.

When one guy left the room my colleague who had been calm through the supplier's presentation went into a rage and said "RIGHT HE'S OF THE FUCKING LIST" I asked why and he said that he had never been so insulted that someone could come into a formal pitch wearing a short sleeved shirt! Now the guy had a collar and tie on and it was the height of summer and I personally haddn't even noticed the shirt. My colleague however was incensed that the chap had such a "lack of respect" to dress so casually.

Now, I later came to find out that my senior colleague was a bit of a nutter and eventually he was sacked and frogmarched out of the building for calling our CFO a "Jewboy"

But my point is this; that poor supplier never knew why his bid was "deselected" from the process.

So my advice would be don't wear a watch at all, or if you really must then make it the most innocuous one you have.

You're wrong. Wear loads of PAMs.

yep, oodles of Pams

austinsom

I'm not sure how much it matters what watch you wear, how much you earn, what star sign you are etc.

I used to work with a guy who probably earned what I did, and I wasn't a top earner then, but didn't really go out, drove a knackered old car and generally was careful with his money. Why?

He really wanted to buy a gen Omega, new from an AD. He did it and proudly wore it everyday to the office. If you are motivated, you can probably save up for any mainstream 'prestige' watch, without too much of a problem.

If a manager thinks you're into counterfeit goods because he knows what you'll be paid and doesn't think you could afford that watch, then do you really want to work with/for someone like that, as he's probably a dick.

narikaa

Waay too much importance given to baubles here

Most of the junior suits posturing about chasing next month's overdraft reducer, drive around in cars on rent/lease BS and could never, as long as their asshole points to the ground, put their hand in their pocket and actually BUY one. So in the make believe world of 'fur coat and no knickers' facades how would a watch matter?

BadPickle

interview is usually based on skills and not the watch on the wrist. i dont see how it matters at all. but PO is a good choice. good luck

But what if they start to thinking

"hows he going to operate the tape gun with that thing on his wrist?"

:lol:

Nnilswerdna

The thing is, if you know a tiny bit about watches you know what an Omega is (probably not the model, but the brand)

If you know your watches, and you see a guy interviewing with a Patek, you mention it.

I certainly would.

Then you know, the guy knows, it's a fake! haha

GenTLe

By the way, I got called right now from the IT manager telling me that I have been selected and I will receive soon the offer with economic details ;)

Now I will see if the whole thing it has been a joke or not :D

PS: on a side note: fuck that place is YOUNG! We were around when there was the shift change and it really looked like a college school break! Average age is around 27 :o

GenTLe

That statement was generalist, subjective and plain wrong and therefore simply bad advice to give to a person going into potentially life changing meeting.

The fact is that some people may care and they may have strange and unfathomable opinions or prejudices against anything you wear, say or do.

Mate, I see your point, but again, the "strange behaviour" would have been to go there with a 60k gold Don Ramon de la Cruz AP, certainly not with an steel Omega that is well within my gen possibility and normal to see in the circle of people that I regularly meet at work dinners or events :)

TheTinMan

By the way, I got called right now from the IT manager telling me that I have been selected and I will receive soon the offer with economic details ;)

PS: on a side note: fuck that place is YOUNG! We were around when there was the shift change and it really looked like a college school break! Average age is around 27 :o

I had a feeling you'd do well in the interview. Good for you, now the fun really begins, weighing offers. Do you get an Amazon discount? All of us on the forum will be asking for a discount code!

Haltec

...fuck; you guys are way overthinking this one, which just tells me that your opinion is just too junior to matter. You seriously need to loghten the fuck up and get some perspective: NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU WEAR!

;)

Right. Who cares about watches.

oh.., Wait..

Kleen™

...fuck; you guys are way overthinking this one, which just tells me that your opinion is just too junior to matter. You seriously need to loghten the fuck up and get some perspective: NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU WEAR!

;)

Right. Who cares about watches.

oh.., Wait..

Comprehension fail. I'll make it easier for you; 'nobody cares what YOU wear'.

Does that make the generalisation more reflecting upon real life for you...;)

elp

a. Complimenti!

b. So lots of fresh meat on display, right? :lol:

Cleebeauregard

Your job is to not give them the opportunity to take away anything negative from the interview which might colour the experience of meeting you.

This could be as bizarre as wearing the same watch that the interviewer's partner (he regularly beats her up!) or the same watch as a recently dead relative (just too painful to see you wearing it around the office every day) etc etc.

To give you an example, i was once in a tendering scenario with a colleague significantly senior to me and suppliers were pitching to us, one after the other, for a £700k contract.

When one guy left the room my colleague who had been calm through the supplier's presentation went into a rage and said "RIGHT HE'S OF THE FUCKING LIST" I asked why and he said that he had never been so insulted that someone could come into a formal pitch wearing a short sleeved shirt! Now the guy had a collar and tie on and it was the height of summer and I personally haddn't even noticed the shirt. My colleague however was incensed that the chap had such a "lack of respect" to dress so casually.

Now, I later came to find out that my senior colleague was a bit of a nutter and eventually he was sacked and frogmarched out of the building for calling our CFO a "Jewboy"

But my point is this; that poor supplier never knew why his bid was "deselected" from the process.

So my advice would be don't wear a watch at all, or if you really must then make it the most innocuous one you have.

You're wrong. Wear loads of PAMs.

Actually laughed out loud at this one. Thanks, I needed that. :)

GenTLe

And here the Italian blood comes to surface.

I didn't tell it openly but that was exactly what I thought :D Especially when I saw those 2 lads from the engineering dept, ~23/25yo with very very nice tight leggings, bent 90° while changing something in a packing machine :rofl:

That's what I call a real benefit! :D

Kleen™

And here the Italian blood comes to surface.

I didn't tell it openly but that was exactly what I thought :D Especially when I saw those 2 lads from the engineering dept, ~23/25yo with very very nice tight leggings, bent 90° while changing something in a packing machine :rofl:

That's what I call a real benefit! :D

- are there any girls working there as well....:lmao:

GenTLe

I had a feeling you'd do well in the interview. Good for you, now the fun really begins, weighing offers. Do you get an Amazon discount? All of us on the forum will be asking for a discount code!

Thanks mate, appreciated!

I doubt there will be an employee discount, at most a free lifetime Prime option :D But yes, I get why there is interest :D

deju

Tomorrow I'll go to a job interview in Amazon.

The job is not an high level managerial one, so going there with a (for instance) a PP Nautilus or an AP would be a bit stupid, considering they know my job background and salary.

But I'm wondering if it's better to put on the Seiko turtle / Gerlach / or another <1000$ gen watch, or if I can keep on my LiquidMetal PO (noob super rep one) that's on my wrist now... That one is in the range of "I had made a present to my self for my 40yo" (I'm 42 in September).

What do you think?

They are employing you mate not your watch.

Wear a watch you like, then you'll be confident but don't over think it, you're selling yourself not the watch :)

Nikosaldente

Glad to hear good news Alex!

Bye bye Ali and eBay, welcome Amazon!

Keep as posted how it goes from here!

Cheers!

mike_morgan

Good to hear the news! ... I didn't catch which watch you wore to the interview?

RandomGuy
First things first, you need to do well on the interview. You need to to ask yourself, "If I'm wearing a rep, will that distract me by worrying about what they think of my watch?... will they think it's real? Will they think it's fake? Will they ask me about it, and will they know that's a fake and try to trip me up?"

So being more blunt... do you really think that walking into a job interview wearing counterfeit fashion accessories is REALLY all that good of an idea?

Personally, I would wear a very conservative gen... seiko perhaps, I believe I read somewhere that Seiko was the #1 selling watch brand on Amazon.

OR, I would wear no watch at all.

SO in order of rank:

1) Conservative inexpensive gen

2) No watch at all

3) Conservative rep (And I would never make this choice)

^^^^^

+1

This would be my advice if I wasn't too lazy to type it.

I interviewed a 20-something sporting a gen Tag once, and I have to confess it bothered me thinking I'd have a subordinate wearing a better watch than mine during client meetings. (Petty, for sure.) Hired him anyway, but he didn't last long...and I wasn't sad to see him go.

I'd wear Seiko or other favorite gen until I got a better idea of the office culture/attire.

GenTLe
Good to hear the news! ... I didn't catch which watch you wore to the interview?

The PO :)

34585759446_0aa05317b0_k.jpg

Rassilon

Congrats!

And I think age plays a role here too. Wearing a PO to an interview when you're 42 is entirely different than 22. At 42 it could easily have been 1) saved up for, 2) a gift, 3) a purchase from a time when you were making more money, etc.

At 22 it's either 1) a trust fund indicator, 2) a knock off, and/or 3) incredibly tone-deaf.

I've conducted a decent number of job interviews, and if I saw a 42 year old with a PO, I wouldn't think much of it other than that he has good taste. =)

But that's just me...

RUSH2112

Congrats!

And I think age plays a role here too. Wearing a PO to an interview when you're 42 is entirely different than 22. At 42 it could easily have been 1) saved up for, 2) a gift, 3) a purchase from a time when you were making more money, etc.

At 22 it's either 1) a trust fund indicator, 2) a knock off, and/or 3) incredibly tone-deaf.

I've conducted a decent number of job interviews, and if I saw a 42 year old with a PO, I wouldn't think much of it other than that he has good taste. =)

But that's just me...

A PO is a sign of a trust fund? This is funny. This is not an expensive watch and making judgments like this says more about the person judging than the 22 year old. Could be a gift very easily or any other number of explanations that don't fit in your list of 3.

narikaa

A PO is a sign of a trust fund? This is funny. This is not an expensive watch and making judgments like this says more about the person judging than the 22 year old. Could be a gift very easily or any other number of explanations that don't fit in your list of 3.

It emanates from the blinkered vision of thinking that the font head of all wealth is a wage packet

COMPLICATIONS

Good on you for pulling it off mate!! Now where's that carbon hublot

GenTLe

Naa for the first day I was thinking about something more subtle...

Like this for instance:

hqdefault.jpg

:rofl: