Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

Job interview: which watch would you choose?

Bidle

Great to read you'll get an offer; nice!!

Congrats

Genius

I had a feeling you'd do well in the interview. Good for you, now the fun really begins, weighing offers. Do you get an Amazon discount? All of us on the forum will be asking for a discount code!

Thanks mate, appreciated!

I doubt there will be an employee discount, at most a free lifetime Prime option :D But yes, I get why there is interest :D

Congrats on the new job Alex!

By the way, I got called right now from the IT manager telling me that I have been selected and I will receive soon the offer with economic details ;)

Now I will see if the whole thing it has been a joke or not :D

PS: on a side note: fuck that place is YOUNG! We were around when there was the shift change and it really looked like a college school break! Average age is around 27 :o

Congrats!

And I think age plays a role here too. Wearing a PO to an interview when you're 42 is entirely different than 22. At 42 it could easily have been 1) saved up for, 2) a gift, 3) a purchase from a time when you were making more money, etc.

At 22 it's either 1) a trust fund indicator, 2) a knock off, and/or 3) incredibly tone-deaf.

I've conducted a decent number of job interviews, and if I saw a 42 year old with a PO, I wouldn't think much of it other than that he has good taste. =)

But that's just me...

A PO is a sign of a trust fund? This is funny. This is not an expensive watch and making judgments like this says more about the person judging than the 22 year old. Could be a gift very easily or any other number of explanations that don't fit in your list of 3.

Yeah I have to call bullshit on that too, I could easily have afforded a PO (at todays used prices at least) when I was 22, if I hadn't already spunked all my money on booze drugs of course, so in my case the nice watch would have been a sign of better judgement (or not) fuck knows I enjoyed my narcotic fuelled 20's even if my tutors and employers didn't

dilip
Naa for the first day I was thinking about something more subtle...

Like this for instance:

hqdefault.jpg

:rofl:

Haha please do!!

Nikosaldente

Naa for the first day I was thinking about something more subtle...

Like this for instance:

hqdefault.jpg

:rofl:

Bling bling!

:fireworks:

Daywatch

Congrats. Super well-done in these times.

:lol: So the best watch to make a successfull job-interview is ....... :animal: the PO :q5:

Rassilon

I had a feeling you'd do well in the interview. Good for you, now the fun really begins, weighing offers. Do you get an Amazon discount? All of us on the forum will be asking for a discount code!

I doubt there will be an employee discount, at most a free lifetime Prime option :D But yes, I get why there is interest :D

By the way, I got called right now from the IT manager telling me that I have been selected and I will receive soon the offer with economic details ;)

PS: on a side note: fuck that place is YOUNG! We were around when there was the shift change and it really looked like a college school break! Average age is around 27 :o

Congrats!

And I think age plays a role here too. Wearing a PO to an interview when you're 42 is entirely different than 22. At 42 it could easily have been 1) saved up for, 2) a gift, 3) a purchase from a time when you were making more money, etc.

At 22 it's either 1) a trust fund indicator, 2) a knock off, and/or 3) incredibly tone-deaf.

I've conducted a decent number of job interviews, and if I saw a 42 year old with a PO, I wouldn't think much of it other than that he has good taste. =)

But that's just me...

A PO is a sign of a trust fund? This is funny. This is not an expensive watch and making judgments like this says more about the person judging than the 22 year old. Could be a gift very easily or any other number of explanations that don't fit in your list of 3.

Yeah I have to call bullshit on that too, I could easily have afforded a PO (at todays used prices at least) when I was 22, if I hadn't already spunked all my money on booze drugs of course, so in my case the nice watch would have been a sign of better judgement (or not) fuck knows I enjoyed my narcotic fuelled 20's even if my tutors and employers didn't

Fellows, you're welcome to disagree or call BS, but like I said, that's just two cents from somebody who has to conduct a lot more job interviews than he'd like. My only point is that a luxury watch, even on the lower end of the spectrum, worn by a kid who just got out of college to a run-of-the-mill job interview could be jarring. If it looked a little off to a bourgeois capitalist pig like I, it's easy to imagine there are plenty of interviewers who would think it out of place.

I'm not making a normative argument. I'm just sharing what a suspect would go through some interviewers' heads... even at a conservative new media company like the one I work at.

Cubic Hare

Congrats Alex.. Well done..

narikaa

You are all worrying about to Planet Ocean or not to Planet Ocean

Spare a thought for the poor Thai government workers who can't even 'oil the wheels' of their interviews it seems

LINK TO NEWS STORY (Work Safe)

;)

GenTLe

LOL, here in IT we had that damn Berlusconi who was doing "bitch parties" with 17yo girls (paid like 5k/evening) and "casually" when he went to meet his friend Vladimir P. in Russia was always coming back with smiles from one ear to the other... :facepalm:

Nikosaldente

LOL, here in IT we had that damn Berlusconi who was doing "bitch parties" with 17yo girls (paid like 5k/evening) and "casually" when he went to meet his friend Vladimir P. in Russia was always coming back with smiles from one ear to the other... :facepalm:

Ahhhhhh!

Silvio's world known bunga bunga parties!

JSJ

Congratulations Alex. I hope it works out as you wish.

splke

b. So lots of fresh meat on display, right? :lol:

And here the Italian blood comes to surface.

I didn't tell it openly but that was exactly what I thought :D Especially when I saw those 2 lads from the engineering dept, ~23/25yo with very very nice tight leggings, bent 90° while changing something in a packing machine :rofl:

That's what I call a real benefit! :D

Lads ? each to their own what are the lasses like please oh aaaanndd pics please :) (not of the lads)

GenTLe

Lads ? each to their own what are the lasses like please oh aaaanndd pics please :) (not of the lads)

Uhm, I suspect there's a language problem... Isn't "lads" a diminutive for "ladies"? Because that is what I meant...

EDIT: Googled and... oh fuck... It means "boys" :facepalm:

Well, this is what I was referring to:

in-leggings-al-concerto.jpg

elp

Uhm, I suspect there's a language problem... Isn't "lads" a diminutive for "ladies"? Because that is what I meant...

Lads = ragazzi

But we understood what you meant ....

splke
:lmao: brilliant :)

Kleen™

b. So lots of fresh meat on display, right? :lol:

And here the Italian blood comes to surface.

I didn't tell it openly but that was exactly what I thought :D Especially when I saw those 2 lads from the engineering dept, ~23/25yo with very very nice tight leggings, bent 90° while changing something in a packing machine :rofl:

That's what I call a real benefit! :D

- are there any girls working there as well....:lmao:

EDIT: Googled and... oh fuck... It means "boys" :facepalm:

Well, this is what I was referring to:

in-leggings-al-concerto.jpg

- and now you get it...;)

GenTLe

- and now you get it... ;)

Exactly :D

RUSH2112

Congrats!

But that's just me...

Fellows, you're welcome to disagree or call BS, but like I said, that's just two cents from somebody who has to conduct a lot more job interviews than he'd like. My only point is that a luxury watch, even on the lower end of the spectrum, worn by a kid who just got out of college to a run-of-the-mill job interview could be jarring. If it looked a little off to a bourgeois capitalist pig like I, it's easy to imagine there are plenty of interviewers who would think it out of place.

I'm not making a normative argument. I'm just sharing what a suspect would go through some interviewers' heads... even at a conservative new media company like the one I work at.

You might be surprised to discover that you're not the only one that conducts interviews here. Part of my point is judging your candidates by their brand of watch, tie, shirt, shoes, socks, jacket, pants, Cologne, deodorant, glasses, or hair gel is probably doing your firm a disservice because none of these things mean anything. It would be a travesty for you to deny a young persona job because they wore their late fathers PO to an interview after it was bequeathed to him because you decided he wasn't good enough to own such a "luxury" item.

Slink73

This has been covered in other threads, so I'm not going to beat the horse tooooo much--

I love the LMPO, but IMHO, it's just a tad bit too flashy for an interview. Too big, too shiny, too much metal (I.e. bracelet instead of a nice strap) for the "dress standard."

I'm a surgeon/medical administrator, so the crowd I'm surrounded by is conservative to a fault. I'm sure it's probably more relaxed in the IT/tech world, but the general "watch rules for fitting in among uptight, conservative males":

1. Keep it 40mm or under. Preferably way under.

2. Dive watches are for diving, dress watches are for dress clothing

3. Absolutely NO stones of any kind, anywhere, especially pave. Good lord no.

4. Steel bracelets are for sports watches, and sports watches are for sports (see #2). A dress watch should have a leather/alligator strap that matches your belt and shoe color--- no black watch strap, brown belt, and tan shoe combos please.

Finally, all of the above is mainly just bullshit. As long as you don't look like you belong in a rap video or on Canal street, wear whatever the Hell you like and just be yourself-- that will go much further towards making a good impression than anything.

^ this - I work in executive search and for all the 'it's all about your skills', people make immediate judgements and appearance is a factor. You'd be amazed how many people sit opposite an interviewer wearing a $5000 suit, $1000 shoes, hand made shirts and then flash some giant Garmin running watch which basically tells the interviewer "no matter how serious you think this job role is I see my need to be recognised as a sport person as more important".

Superficial, yes still a factor most definitely. A simple dress watch on a leather strap, matched to shoes and belt is perfect. I too work in italy and I know full well the stylish nature and how judgemental that market is. No matter the seniority of position. If you're wearing a suit to the interview, match the watch to it.

I wish you all the best with the interview, don't hang up too much on this and will love to see what you go with...

Slink73

Congrats!

But that's just me...

You might be surprised to discover that you're not the only one that conducts interviews here. Part of my point is judging your candidates by their brand of watch, tie, shirt, shoes, socks, jacket, pants, Cologne, deodorant, glasses, or hair gel is probably doing your firm a disservice because none of these things mean anything. It would be a travesty for you to deny a young persona job because they wore their late fathers PO to an interview after it was bequeathed to him because you decided he wasn't good enough to own such a "luxury" item.

But unfortunately for every good interviewer there's an equal number of judgemental b'stards out there. If only the world was a meritocracy. But having worked for a senior manager who pointed out that the brogue pattern on my Churchs was two years old and I need to think about this if I wanted a senior position gives you food for thought.

It gives me cause to say conformity to a preconceived idea of what is expected may be the best option and once you've got the job rock up wearing the nastiest pave encrusted Ali-express special money can buy...

RUSH2112

Congrats!

But that's just me...

But unfortunately for every good interviewer there's an equal number of judgemental b'stards out there. If only the world was a meritocracy. But having worked for a senior manager who pointed out that the brogue pattern on my Churchs was two years old and I need to think about this if I wanted a senior position gives you food for thought.

It gives me cause to say conformity to a preconceived idea of what is expected may be the best option and once you've got the job rock up wearing the nastiest pave encrusted Ali-express special money can buy...

I'm envisioning all those nutjobs in American psycho sitting in the conference room ANALyzing their business cards.

TheTinMan

I'm envisioning all those nutjobs in American psycho sitting in the conference room ANALyzing their business cards.

I hate to admit it, but I did that with my business cards. Not to that degree, but I did it. Hey, I have the nicest business cards in the company though.

RUSH2112

I hate to admit it, but I did that with my business cards. Not to that degree, but I did it. Hey, I have the nicest business cards in the company though.

Now you guys have me concerned.

Slink73

American-psycho-business-card-template.jpg

I should keep these on my desk in the office

Slink73

^ especially when interviewing...